Page 458 of 559 FirstFirst ... 358408448455456457458459460461468508558 ... LastLast
Results 6,856 to 6,870 of 8380

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

A crack and new load belt at WDW? That is big news!

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    A crack and new load belt at WDW? That is big news!
    Sadly, the load belt came and went. Florida is back to the bats.

That crack - if anyone wants to look for it - was roughly 1/2 to 2/3 of the way across the ballroom scene. When I was nearing the end (around where the duelers are) I looked off to my right (angle about 2 O'clock) and saw the crack shimmering brightly. I had noticed it when it was directly in front of me, but I wasn't sure it was a crack yet as it was harder to see straight-on.

It is just above the top of the balustrade and directly to the right of a tall post.

Is it true that there is plexiglass in front of the real glass to protect it? If so, maybe the crack is in the plexi. Either way, you'll see it if you look for it!

• hatbox ghost believer

I wonder if they "faked" it to make it similar to the DLR version. If so, they'll need to "spider" it for consistency.
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• Tickets please...

Does anyone know if there's a larger version of the clip on doombuggies.com of the 30th anniversary show? Just there isn't any way to enlarge the video clip on there.

ALSO! Thanks to the Long Forgotten blog I've realized how awesome the concept art for the harpist is. Now I really want them to actually make him look like that in the ride.

And another also... is there a definitive list of the ghosts from the Mansion anywhere? Like every animatronic? Just wondering.

• Inhospitable about happy

I'm not aware of any such list of AA ghosts. It wouldn't be hard to come up with one, right off the top of one's head, unless you're the Hatbox Ghost. As for tallying up the ghosts in general, that way lies madness. You bog down in trying to define what is and is not a ghost, like the figures in the wallpaper.

As for the video, you could join the DB chatboard and ask the Chef himself if he can supply a larger version.

And now, for no reason in particular, a tender ode to the ever-escalating cost of Disney entertainment:

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• the rockawho?

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    My goldfish is a big fan of the ride too.

Sometimes you can get sets of blueprints on eekbay.
    Thanks for the answer.

Since you seem like the HM expert here. Do you know what material the bat stanchions and plaque are made out of at the Disneyland resort?

Are the bat stanchions gold plated or bronzed?

Thanks in advance

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I believe the bat stanchions are solid cast bronze. Occasionally you see lighter patches on them where the Foundry brazed to fill in flaws in the castings, or where they brazed to reattach one of the rings at the end of the wing for the chain hooks.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post
    Thanks for the answer.

Since you seem like the HM expert here. Do you know what material the bat stanchions and plaque are made out of at the Disneyland resort?

Are the bat stanchions gold plated or bronzed?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    I believe the bat stanchions are solid cast bronze. Occasionally you see lighter patches on them where the Foundry brazed to fill in flaws in the castings, or where they brazed to reattach one of the rings at the end of the wing for the chain hooks.

--<< Bruce >>--
    I used to think they were bronze, but nope. Both the gate plaques and the bat stantions are brass.

Umm, if you want to get pedantic, Brass and Bronze are both Copper based alloys... Bronzed implies another base metal, and Gold plating would never hold up to the thousands of hands per day.

Brass is brighter in appearance and is alloyed with Zinc. Bronze is darker, harder, stronger and more brittle, the main alloy metal is Tin, sometimes with Aluminum Silicon Manganese or Phosphorous added for corrosion resistance or strength.

--<< Bruce >>--

•   
    • Disneyland History Lover

I remember there being a stink about the bats being brass and containing lead (along with many very old elements of the park).

Never heard of there being plexiglass in front of the actual glass, though.

• Tickets please...

I'm not aware of any such list of AA ghosts. It wouldn't be hard to come up with one, right off the top of one's head, unless you're the Hatbox Ghost. As for tallying up the ghosts in general, that way lies madness. You bog down in trying to define what is and is not a ghost, like the figures in the wallpaper.

As for the video, you could join the DB chatboard and ask the Chef himself if he can supply a larger version.
    Ah, okay. Thanks for the reply anyhows. I was talking about just the animatronics, I agree that trying to actually figure out who all 999 ghosts are would be crazy.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    I remember there being a stink about the bats being brass and containing lead (along with many very old elements of the park).

Never heard of there being plexiglass in front of the actual glass, though.
    I've always thought the bats were brass.

You can see the plexiglass in many videos, mainly in those who were naughty and used a camera light. It shows off all the circular scratches from cleaning it. It's mounted on the outside of the balcony.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Just a slight warning' the posts from the spring and summer of 2011 get really ugly.
    Thanks for the warning. I'm just getting there now and will proceed with caution.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Umm, if you want to get pedantic, Brass and Bronze are both Copper based alloys... Bronzed implies another base metal, and Gold plating would never hold up to the thousands of hands per day.

Brass is brighter in appearance and is alloyed with Zinc. Bronze is darker, harder, stronger and more brittle, the main alloy metal is Tin, sometimes with Aluminum Silicon Manganese or Phosphorous added for corrosion resistance or strength.

--<< Bruce >>--
    Yes. Actually, there are multiple "recipes" for brass too, some with and some without lead, for example, which is what lead to the problem with the bat stantions. The two copper alloys are sloppier and more overlappish than many realize. "Commercial Bronze" and "Architectural Bronze" are actually brass, for example, because of their zinc content.

Yes. Actually, there are multiple "recipes" for brass too, some with and some without lead, for example, which is what lead to the problem with the bat stantions. The two copper alloys are sloppier and more overlappish than many realize. "Commercial Bronze" and "Architectural Bronze" are actually brass, for example, because of their zinc content.
    And all of the above can have lead in it - either added in deliberately for added ductility, or incidentally if they just melt down copper scrap from recycling centers. The scrap copper could have lead/tin solder residue, which would end up in the metal.

45-odd years ago they didn't even think about Lead being a contaminant, and even now trace content would be perfectly safe - it's locked in the alloy.

Now in a drinking fountain faucet it might be an issue - but even with the water sitting in the pipes for long periods a few molecules leach into the water, barely enough to measure with the sensitive methods we have today. But the Safety Crazy among us think a few parts per million or billion of lead in one of those cast stanchion tops or a simple brass drinking fountain plumbing is going to kill thousands, and it "Has To Be Removed!!"... Puh-Leassse!

Why is Common Sense so uncommon? Don't Panic - just don't make any new items with lead in the mix, and the older ones will get replaced and reclaimed from age without any drama needed.

--<< Bruce >>--

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM