Page 460 of 616 FirstFirst ... 360410435450457458459460461462463470485510560 ... LastLast
Results 6,886 to 6,900 of 9236

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

An interesting question is raised by HBG's post and the construction picture above - Normally an elevator is in a double-drywalled-off shaft (1 layer of 5/8" 2-Hour Fire-Code Gypsum on the inside, and a second on the outside) that is deliberately blocked off from the rest of the building for fire resistance. But normal elevators don't have all the show elements in them either.

So.... How isolated are the Stretching Rooms from the upper floors on the Theme Building? I would expect the shafts are all drywalled-off to the rest of the building except for a bunch of access doors around the walls and on the ceiling (that have standard Elevator Door safety interlocks) to change out the Stretching Portraits and lights.

But they could also have it isolated off with Plywood or planks instead, and not worry about fire because "It's a Theatrical Set! And the building has Sprinklers!" which might have passed muster in 1964. I doubt any Elevator inspector would just let it all be exposed and let anyone get into the upper stories while the stretching rooms were in motion.

And knowing Cast Members, they would want to go up there and explore if they had a chance, even if the park is open and the Stretching Rooms in use. The '2nd Floor' space over the Foyer would make a nice spot for a break room, just like the 'Basement' space underneath it would be a logical place to put the elevator controls and pumps.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Tickets please...

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I belive it has always been there. However it used to be shorter and the tarps were green. (It was extended and replaced with red tarp during the 07 Re-Haunting.
    Ah okay, then when I was there it would of been the shorter version. Thanks for the info.

• Professional Obsessive

Oops, I did it again.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    An interesting question is raised by HBG's post and the construction picture above - Normally an elevator is in a double-drywalled-off shaft (1 layer of 5/8" 2-Hour Fire-Code Gypsum on the inside, and a second on the outside) that is deliberately blocked off from the rest of the building for fire resistance. But normal elevators don't have all the show elements in them either.

So.... How isolated are the Stretching Rooms from the upper floors on the Theme Building? I would expect the shafts are all drywalled-off to the rest of the building except for a bunch of access doors around the walls and on the ceiling (that have standard Elevator Door safety interlocks) to change out the Stretching Portraits and lights.

But they could also have it isolated off with Plywood or planks instead, and not worry about fire because "It's a Theatrical Set! And the building has Sprinklers!" which might have passed muster in 1964. I doubt any Elevator inspector would just let it all be exposed and let anyone get into the upper stories while the stretching rooms were in motion.

And knowing Cast Members, they would want to go up there and explore if they had a chance, even if the park is open and the Stretching Rooms in use. The '2nd Floor' space over the Foyer would make a nice spot for a break room, just like the 'Basement' space underneath it would be a logical place to put the elevator controls and pumps.

--<< Bruce >>--
    You can get an idea of the dimensions from this:

I'm sure that regulations in 1962 (not 64) were not as tight as they are today. From the photos and video I've seen, there is a LOT of plywood in there. Squeeze space for maintenance, etc., in order to work on the Traveling Light effect, etc., is tight in places, less than two feet.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by LibbyK View Post
    WDW had the carpet paintjob when I was there last month. I went through the Mansion 3 times that day and my husband saw it too (and we've never been to Disneyland). I know this is just words from an internet stranger, but I guarantee you it was there. It looked brand-spankin' new (not worn partly away like the bats that are back there now). I don't know why they changed it, then changed back - but that is what happened.
    No offense, and I'm sure you saw something, somewhere at WDW that made you think this, but we have NEVER had that design on our load belt. WDW HM DID just add a patterned carpet to the area outside of the load belt with a damask design on it, but its not on the belt itself.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxxFur View Post
    Oops, I did it again.

Oh, that is lovely. By far the best video capture of the window tableau, with the rain beautifully visible, for once. Nice.

For those of you wondering how it's done, it's a Yale Gracey effect. Imagine a disco mirror ball shaped like a football or barrel and spinning horizontally on its axis, with a light shining up on it from underneath through a perforated screen. Set up a scrim, and poof, there's your rain. You can see the device in the extreme foreground of this photo:

If you scrunch up close to the window(s) and look down, you can see it.

Oh, and my sources tell me that the canopy is coming back in green, with only the exit canopy still red.

• We Go On.

If you ask me, after ripping out McMansionland, they should fill that space with switchbacks, add more canopy if they must, and rip out the extended length of the canopy that was added in '07, if not the entire thing. PLQ seems big enough, I wonder just how much canopy they could rip out from the sidewalk in front of the façade. Or then again, I wonder if the HM is so impacted with crowds that they need all the canopy they can get.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    No offense, and I'm sure you saw something, somewhere at WDW that made you think this, but we have NEVER had that design on our load belt. WDW HM DID just add a patterned carpet to the area outside of the load belt with a damask design on it, but its not on the belt itself.
    Good to hear from you GRD.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Oh, and my sources tell me that the canopy is coming back in green, with only the exit canopy still red.
    Thats good to hear, I kinda had that gut feeling considering the green tarps in PLQ. Is the Carsillo team doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    If you ask me, after ripping out McMansionland, they should fill that space with switchbacks, add more canopy if they must, and rip out the extended length of the canopy that was added in '07, if not the entire thing. PLQ seems big enough, I wonder just how much canopy they could rip out from the sidewalk in front of the façade. Or then again, I wonder if the HM is so impacted with crowds that they need all the canopy they can get.
    I would probably leave Master Gracey where he is and removing the 3 crypts. If you plan on putting more switchbacks into the current PLQ space there should be (non-Theme spoiling things for people to look at of course by the time that could hypothetically happen an entire generation might have grown up with PLQ and say that we were destroying their childhood. That's the REALLY scary thing.
    Sadly the only thing I can see potentially happening with PLQ Is the Sea Captain getting his water effects turned off for guest safety reasons.
    Last edited by HMF; 05-12-2013 at 04:51 PM.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Good to hear from you GRD.
    I apologize for my absence. I've been keeping an eye on The Thread but I've learned that its usually not in the best interest of CMs to post to message boards.

Oh, and no crack in the glass in the WDW HM Ballroom. The plexi barrier on the balcony may have had a scratch across it, but no cracks in the real glass.

Good to hear!

And now, for your debating pleasure...
    Above is a gallery in the famous Hermitage museum in St. Petersburg. Below...well, you all know what that is. At this angle and with this lens the resemblances are striking, but...striking enough to rule out coincidence?

• Minion

The Online Disney Store now carries that Mansion merch series with the Gargoyle Candlelabra, Hourglass, Coasters and stuff.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

The gallery at the Hermitage is quite a match, however most formal art museums of a good size have a viewing gallery in this style. Even the Cleveland Museum of Art has one. Not red, but the high vaulted ceiling in a long viewing gallery with ornate work around the ceiling level. THE inspiration? Couldn't say definitively. AN inspiration? Quite possibly.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM