Page 462 of 586 FirstFirst ... 362412437452459460461462463464465472487512562 ... LastLast
Results 6,916 to 6,930 of 8789

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Oops, careless mistake. It IS an album, not a cake. Mea Culpa.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

A piece of concept art (looks like Marc Davis to me) that you may never have seen except in a cropped form as an avatar for GRD at one time. I just recently got a copy myself.

This is an example of cooler heads prevailing. Enjoyable as the sketch is, I think the absence of such obvious funhouse manifestations makes the doors much more nightmarish. The doors and doorknobs are fully designed here, so this is probably a later sketch rather than an earlier one.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I do like that art, but yes, it's very Bill Tracey instead of Claude Coats.

Yep. And this one fer shur you haven't seen before.

At that point they should be spirits/ghosts (as seen in the ballroom) trying to get through so having a physical body/arm doesn't seem appropriate. The conservatory ghoul is okay because, theoretically, his spirit is animating the corpse, not knowing to simply transcend it. HM isn't about monsters.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    At that point they should be spirits/ghosts (as seen in the ballroom) trying to get through so having a physical body/arm doesn't seem appropriate. The conservatory ghoul is okay because, theoretically, his spirit is animating the corpse, not knowing to simply transcend it. HM isn't about monsters.
    I would reckon that was the logic the 07 Re-Haunting crew was thinking when they removed the prying hands from the final door in the WDW CoD.

As I have argued elsewhere, you could make a case that the coffin is analogous to the entire house, the structure the spirits are now trapped inside and are having trouble "getting through," according to the Spirit Possession paradigm. Apparently, some of these spirits have had similar problems "getting through" even the first level: the physical body of the deceased, and are actually battling to break through two barriers, one fleshly, one wooden. Others—the majority—successfully vacated their corpses long ago but have found themselves stuck inside the physical framework of the house after taking up residence there as retirees.

By this reading, what makes these concept sketches inappropriate is the idea that the Horrible Things are trying to get through in order to attack you, which is quite a different thing. In the show as it finally jelled, you suspect that they are trying to attack you, but find out later that their frustration is primarily due to being unable to break free and materialize before the wine is all gone. There is a danger in the COD, but it's not the danger of being mauled but being possessed, which would be a step in the right direction for these tormented spirits. The invisible spirits behind these walls and doors pose a far greater threat than the still-animated corpses in the coffin and, formerly, behind a door in the WDW hallway.

A couple of lots of Disneyland photos dated 1972 just popped up on ebay, including a few interior HM pics - there's a bride shot I don't recall seeing before.

12 Original 35mm Slides Disneyland 1972 Haunted Mansion | eBay

12 Original 35mm Slides Disneyland 1972 | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    There is a danger in the COD, but it's not the danger of being mauled but being possessed, which would be a step in the right direction for these tormented spirits.
    This reminds me of a couple of lines from the LP concerning the raven being possessed by an "old nag." And the GH warns: "Be on your guard. It may want to better itself."

So you're right on the money, HBG2. This sort of threat was clearly something the original designers intended.

In a way, the prospect of being possessed is more threatening and scary than that of being mauled...
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    A couple of lots of Disneyland photos dated 1972 just popped up on ebay, including a few interior HM pics - there's a bride shot I don't recall seeing before.

12 Original 35mm Slides Disneyland 1972 Haunted Mansion | eBay

12 Original 35mm Slides Disneyland 1972 | eBay
    Woo hoo, any day a new Corpse Bride photo shows up is a goooood day. I suppose some people may wonder what that is in front of her.

It's a trunk lid. They've done that off and on, opening a trunk so as to use the lid to mask off the bottom part of the bride (for whatever reason). Ironically, since the new pic is an old pic, from 1972, the other example I have of this arrangement is literally from the final days of the bride on that side, before Connie's debut, taken in March 2006.

Some goodies from Lonesome Ghost. This is the Ambrose/Constance Wedding cake [edit: album, not cake]:And this here's the George/Constance cake:
    Did Lonesome Ghost provide any context for why those appear to be in someone's private home? Or does Disney just have really homey prop shops? It would seem odd for Imagineering to farm out relatively prominent prop work to be completed in somebody's kitchen.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Woo hoo, any day a new Corpse Bride photo shows up is a goooood day. I suppose some people may wonder what that is in front of her.

It's a trunk lid. They've done that off and on, opening a trunk so as to use the lid to mask off the bottom part of the bride (for whatever reason). Ironically, since the new pic is an old pic, from 1972, the other example I have of this arrangement is literally from the final days of the bride on that side, before Connie's debut, taken in March 2006.

To think only a few years back we didn't realize there ever was a corpse Bride. Now we've seen 4 photos over the past 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    Did Lonesome Ghost provide any context for why those appear to be in someone's private home? Or does Disney just have really homey prop shops? It would seem odd for Imagineering to farm out relatively prominent prop work to be completed in somebody's kitchen.
    LG says it's not unusual for someone who wins a bid for a small Disney prop to work on it at home. And why not? The same company did both the album and the cake, btw.

• Tickets please...

Looks like the pictures on the inside of the lid of the trunk have changed over the years too.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    To think only a few years back we didn't realize there ever was a corpse Bride. Now we've seen 4 photos over the past 4 years.
    Pretty amazing. It definitely gives one hope that somewhere in a dusty attic or basement corner, under a pile of old Christmas decorations, lurks a set of pictures or slides with the image of our favorite missing Mansion resident.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM