Page 463 of 559 FirstFirst ... 363413453460461462463464465466473513 ... LastLast
Results 6,931 to 6,945 of 8371

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Pretty amazing. It definitely gives one hope that somewhere in a dusty attic or basement corner, under a pile of old Christmas decorations, lurks a set of pictures or slides with the image of our favorite missing Mansion resident.
    The Man In Web?

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

^ That would be truly awesome!

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson

• Inhospitable about happy

You know that such a photo exists somewhere.

One more from Davis's series of concept sketches for the CoD. This one has been previously seen, in this wretched copy:

Here's a much better version:

This one sort of clinches what Davis was up to. Someone has locked up the monster behind the door, for safety's sake, one presumes. The entrapment in this case is the result of the conscious efforts of the living. We're in monsterland here. There isn't even anything overtly supernatural about the drawing, other than, perhaps, the great strength of the Horrible Thing.

Loads of fun to look at, of course, and it's always interesting and always instructive to see what roads the Imagineers didn't take in the final version.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    LG says it's not unusual for someone who wins a bid for a small Disney prop to work on it at home. And why not? The same company did both the album and the cake, btw.
    Interesting - I had always assumed that when it came to props they either made them in-house or bought them off-the-shelf. If they contract out to small prop-makers, then I guess it makes perfect sense it'd be in somebody's kitchen.

In a fit of tediousness, I felt the need to identify the fonts on Ambrose and Constance's wedding album - the "1869" is in LHF Denise, copyright 2002. I haven't quite been able to pin down the text, but I suspect it's some version of Baskerville, which is semi-appropriate, since that typeface was created in 1757.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Looks like the pictures on the inside of the lid of the trunk have changed over the years too.
    I'm pretty sure that's a different trunk altogether; the edges look very different, and the entire lid paper pattern is different as well. I actually suspect that the trunk in the 1972 picture is actually the closed brown trunk in the foreground of the 2006 picture, but I can't say for sure - maybe one of the attic junk experts here would know better.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's a different trunk altogether; the edges look very different, and the entire lid paper pattern is different as well. I actually suspect that the trunk in the 1972 picture is actually the closed brown trunk in the foreground of the 2006 picture, but I can't say for sure - maybe one of the attic junk experts here would know better.
    I think you are right.

• Member of Baxter's Army

LG says it's not unusual for someone who wins a bid for a small Disney prop to work on it at home. And why not? The same company did both the album and the cake, btw.
    So those photos must be from 2005,2006 or 2007, Unless they are finally updating the Tokyo Mansion.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Hooray, a new corpse bride photo, and more Davis monster arms! Good stuff all, thanks everyone!

• Tickets please...

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    Ah, I didn't think to check if there was an actual difference between the lids themselves. Kinda just glanced at the different pictures. You're probably right though. The trunk in the foreground didn't really register as a trunk to me. lol. XD

We're in monsterland here. There isn't even anything overtly supernatural about the drawing, other than, perhaps, the great strength of the Horrible Thing.
    I think the monsters behind the doors in these drawings are meant to be spirit/demon-possessed corpses, in the same category as the guy in the coffin and the pop-ups.

Ursula as the ghost host, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    I think the monsters behind the doors in these drawings are meant to be spirit/demon-possessed corpses, in the same category as the guy in the coffin and the pop-ups.
    That's not impossible, but in Davis's sketches they seem to me more monsterish than corpselike. Look at the claw-like hand in that reaching-out sketch. And would someone chain up the door like that to keep a spirit-possessed corpse safely confined? Better question: Is there a precedent for that in pop culture? Smacks of monster containment to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatbox999 View Post

Ursula as the ghost host, that is all.
    Kewl. Never occurred to me before, but she'd make a swell voice-over for Madame Leota. She sounds quite a bit like Eleanor Audley, if you think about it.

And would someone chain up the door like that to keep a spirit-possessed corpse safely confined? Better question: Is there a precedent for that in pop culture? Smacks of monster containment to me.
    There are the Evil Dead movies, though they came after the HM obviously.

Yesterday (May 24) was my first visit to the HM since last August on its last day before closing for HMH retooling. Here are observations based on my six rides compared to last year.

My first trip down was in the left stretching gallery and it creaked! And quite distinctly too. My second trip down was in the other stretching gallery and it (still) creaks, but a bit more distinctly than I remembered from last year.

The audio was identical on every ride. No "forbidden" lines heard.

Leota's wires are now *more* visible. I only used to see the one stretching back while on the exit side of the room but I could easily (and unavoidably) see them from the entrance side too.

In the ballroom, the guest on the immediate right of the candle-blower is now brightly lit-up. Last year his light was so faint he was barely perceptible. Also, the straight edge visible on the spirits flying through the windows (and mentioned by HBG2 on his last visit) has been fixed. The effect looks as one would imagine it was always intended to look.

The attic is missing the hat rack/top hat that sat immediately to the right of the track at the window exit (across from Constance) which always seemed like a "hat tip" to the Hatbox Ghost. I think I saw it placed further back in the shadows, but it might have been something different.

Graveyeard Jamboree:
    Pop-up Ghosts. I'll go through these individually since they're one of my favorite parts of the Mansion. In general, they still "rise" more than "pop" as always, but I love 'em.
    #1 on right through the gates. Still rather faintly lit but synced to GGG's verses.
    #2 on left in front of the band. Bright and still *not* synced to GGG's verses (he's the one who will surprise me, if any).
    #3 in back of the stone sarcophagus: Still faintly lit and *not* synced to GGG's verses.
    #4 Blasty: Blasting up about a foot or a foot and half at most, I'd estimate. Still synced to GGG's verses.
    #5 on left in front of mummy. Lit and synced to GGG's verses.
    #6 on right in front of opera singer. Oh dear. No light on him whatsoever. Still synced to GGG's verses, though.
    #7 on right just before exit. Lit and synced to GGG's verses.

Speaking of the mummy, the dog seems to be overlit, the mummy lit a little more than usual (his neck almost looked separate from his body) and the old man with the ear horn is completely missing. His area is completely dark but I'm fairly sure the animatronic was not there at all. His voice still plays, though.

Also missing is the purple painted ghost in the crypt before the opera singer. It's pitch black in there.

I really hope Anaheim doesn't get new! improved!?! hitchhiking ghosts since I still see people interacting with the original tried-and-true three dimensional HHG illusion on every ride. The original is active interaction as opposed to the HHG-pulls-your-head-off passive interaction of the new! improved!?! setup.

I think some of the dirt piles from the floor in front of the broken exit crypts along the exit ramp have been removed. It looks much cleaner there than last year. (And, yes, most people breeze past these crypts and probably don't know they exist, but I'm guessing they wouldn't read this thread).

Rik

• Lightspeed to Endor!

I know that this has been touched on before in one of the threads in this series, but I was hoping it could be reposted up on the top. I am looking for the supplier that sells the victorian wallpaper in the foyer before the stretching rooms. I know a few months (or years) back, a link was posted and the name of the design given.
    Thanks!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM