Page 465 of 616 FirstFirst ... 365415440455462463464465466467468475490515565 ... LastLast
Results 6,961 to 6,975 of 9236

• I do believe in fairies!

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Walt Disney did not want to give his guests the impression that his park was run down, so he wanted Imagineers to take care of the outside, while the ghosts take care of the inside. However, the Tokyo Disneyland Haunted Mansion and the Disneyland Paris Phantom Manor have neglected exteriors with overgrown gardens and broken windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post
    When Walt and his imagineers were creating and developing The Haunted Mansion. One of Ken Anderson's 1955 sketch of a planned haunted-house attraction was supposed to be dirty, decaying, and dilapidated. It was originally to be along side Main Street USA. But with many plans and time; the technology at that time was still in development, so it wasn't made yet.

In order to keep true to his park's cleanliness, he wanted the mansion to like clean, new and well taken care of. He didn't want a run-down dirty broken old mansion at his park. So, his old saying was this: "While we take care of the outside, we let the ghost take care of the inside." He didn't want a bad impression of a run-down park like of those old, so he had his imagineers to take care on the outside of the park. His philosophy on the classic attraction is true to this day. The mansion outside to this day looks neat, clean, welcoming, and always in good condition. The inside is the opposite, it is dusty, dirty, filled with cobwebs, and filled with old and broken things. Since, the mansion is a retired earthy plane for ghostly residents that enjoys the afterlife and instead of moving on, they enjoy staying earth bound and re-living their old live pasts.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. It clears up thing a lot. I've always wondered why it was like that.
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

• Lurker

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Mountain Sprite, it seems there's a bit more to the state of the Mansion than even the Imagineers consciously planned: Long-Forgotten: "Things Fall Apart; The Centre Cannot Hold"

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite View Post
    Can you give me links to the other threads.
    The first post of this thread has a convenient list of links.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Mr. Ghost

Speaking of pre opening Haunted Mansion rumors, back in '84 or '85... I can recall a story my mother told me once that the Mansion took so long to open was that it was too scary (and the workers had been scared) and had to be toned down. This rumor was probably rampant among pre teens and teenagers living in Southern California at the time. Does any one else have any good stories like this?

Hey guys! Nothing earth shattering but I thought I'd share some photos I recently took in the mansion. (during the all nighter of all things...)

It may not look like it, but I am actually a good photographer, the mansion is just crazy low light haha.

Those are nice shots. You've got some very unusual angles on some familiar subjects.

Weird. I thought the latest post at the LF blog was nothing special, modest, if not mediocre. I think the next two are better. But the new one got BoingBoing-ed and digg-ed, and the traffic has been insane. It's the sixth all-time post already.

Lotta HM fans out there, I must say.

Well, that's because the Mansion is really really cool.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Those are nice shots. You've got some very unusual angles on some familiar subjects.
    Thank you very much sir. It was a nice trip, on Saturday night after the all nighter, we rode the mansion right as Fantasmic was about to reach it's finale. It was so empty that we were the only guests in the changing portrait gallery for a few minutes. Always something I wanted to experience, truly eerie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    Speaking of pre opening Haunted Mansion rumors, back in '84 or '85... I can recall a story my mother told me once that the Mansion took so long to open was that it was too scary (and the workers had been scared) and had to be toned down. This rumor was probably rampant among pre teens and teenagers living in Southern California at the time. Does any one else have any good stories like this?
    I was there, so I can tell you that the rumor was in full swing from the moment the HM opened. People were saying it was being RE-opened, and we were debunking that rumor from the get-go, knowing that it had not been open earlier.

• Minion

Nice pictures, Slicendice!

For some reason, the coffin nails you can see in #2 are one of the creepiest things in the Mansion to me.

Today is Daveland's seventh anniversary, and Dave knocks it out of the park with a set of vintage HM shots. You know those ebay slides we were looking at a few pages back? Guess who bought them? So now we can see the 1972 Corpse Bride shot in much better detail.

Not only that, but Dave has another 1972 shot that is by far the best photo I've ever seen of Purply Shroud in the Sťance Circle.

A good day for Mansionheads.

Oh I almost forgot, 3D photos too! Included one of an intrepid looking yours truly.

a cool little thing, if you free view the following bust the wrong way you can see what it would look like as a real bust, cool!

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Walt Disney did not want to give his guests the impression that his park was run down, so he wanted Imagineers to take care of the outside, while the ghosts take care of the inside. However, the Tokyo Disneyland Haunted Mansion and the Disneyland Paris Phantom Manor have neglected exteriors with overgrown gardens and broken windows.
    Different cultures reflect different sorts of living. For Phantom Manor, for instance, it seems as if Europeans are made of tougher skin than we here in the States, because the Manor in Paris is not just filled with the resident 999, but a myriad of catacombs filled with rotting corpses! Even Melanie Ravenswood, for what is known about her melancholy backstory that fills the entire Manor, is personally scarier than Constance Hatchaway, because though The Black Widow Bride's story as an unfaithful bride who murders her wealthy husbands on their wedding night by lopping their heads off is scary (though really not suited for the standard set by the Haunted Mansion itself as a mix of scary & funny, hence the "Grim Grinning Ghosts" theme throughout, IMO), the way Connie's insane facial expressions and psychopathic rantings are digitally projected onto a blank auto-animatronic figure is almost laughable, whereas Melanie's more somber tale of woe is perfectly done by showing her age progression throughout the attraction, only to finally come face to decomposing face with what's left of Melanie following her own demise.

As for the look of the places themselves, I do believe each one reflects either the culture in which they're set or the storyline--if any--that surrounds them. For example, because Disney wanted his local parks in the States to look well-groomed, they've been cleaned and well-preserved on the outside (sans adding the newest interactive queue to serve as a momentary distraction while you wait to enter) by park staff, while the haunts control the interior to make "it delightfully un-livable here in this ghostly retreat". By contrast, the Tokyo Mansion and Phantom Manor have a look that reflects the description heard on the old Story and Song record album ("...That old, dark house that's usually at the end of a dimly lit street. The owners haven't been seen for years. No one really knows why. The windows are broken and boarded, and the shutters hang loose on their hinges. The trees have grown wild, their branches brush against the sides of the weathering house, making strange noises in the night..."), because they were designed in story to look like weathered old houses filled with ghosts.
    Last edited by TherealRNO; 06-04-2013 at 06:23 PM.

I've updated the old Purply Shroud post at the blog and added this reconstruction, based on Daveland's photo:

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM