Page 466 of 649 FirstFirst ... 366416441456463464465466467468469476491516566 ... LastLast
Results 6,976 to 6,990 of 9722

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

^ This is what I love about your blog, HBG2. You are never content to let things sit as they are if new and interesting tidbits are available. Thanks for your attention to the details we all crave.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

Hey, that's cool! Goofy as Jacob Marley.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Inhospitable about happy

You will remember that Goofy plays Marley in Mickey's Christmas Carol.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Professional Obsessive

Great reconstruction - looks like both WDW and DL's shrouds looked more or less the same. Alex Crouthers, who was head of the MK show at the time, absolutely hated both the Seance Circle scrim ghost and the Witch hands on the door at the end of the Corridor of Doors, and had them removed. Because, you know, it's fun to second guess Claude Coats.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by FoxxFur View Post
    Great reconstruction - looks like both WDW and DL's shrouds looked more or less the same. Alex Crouthers, who was head of the MK show at the time, absolutely hated both the Seance Circle scrim ghost and the Witch hands on the door at the end of the Corridor of Doors, and had them removed. Because, you know, it's fun to second guess Claude Coats.
    I can confirm that Caruthers was also responsible for removing the original "Brides Ring". BTW,If you don't know yet Foxxfur, the red canopy you disliked outside the Mansion has been restored to it's original green color.
    Last edited by HMF; 06-05-2013 at 11:08 PM.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Because, you know, it's fun to second guess Claude Coats.

• I do believe in fairies!

Hey I went to DL on the 3rd and rode the HM twice and I noticed that the old man that's hard of hearing that's supposed to be listening to the mummy in the coffin is missing. Did anybody else notice that. Sorry for the long hand but I'm new to the thread and don't know all the abbreviations yet.
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

He was probably out to be fixed/refreshed.

And you are doing fine on the "longhand" messages. If you want a guide to MiceChat shorthand, try this sticky post...

The Official MiceChat Glossary

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite View Post
    Hey I went to DL on the 3rd and rode the HM twice and I noticed that the old man that's hard of hearing that's supposed to be listening to the mummy in the coffin is missing. Did anybody else notice that.
    I mentioned it in my trip report about two weeks ago (message #6944 above). I rode through a week later and he was still gone but, updating other items in my report, the purple painted ghost in the crypt before the opera singer was back in place and there was proper lighting on the pop-up ghost in front of the opera singer.

• Inhospitable about happy

Both of those brought WDW into conformity with DL, of course. Was that a motive? As you have written extensively, the push to make WDW just like DL has been operative for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I can confirm that Caruthers was also responsible for removing the original "Brides Ring".
    So stupid and childish.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

I just realized I am about to make my 100th post!

So, I remember reading all the comments about Connie’s… um… “ample charms” when she was added to the attic. I found it amusing at first, but then I started to wonder about how the original Imagineers would feel about a sensual/sexy ghost in the mansion. I looked back at the original maquette.

Name:  maqbride.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  29.0 KB(pic copied from HBGs blog)

Wow! I guess Connie isn’t too far off the mark! “Concept/maquette Bride” sure was a voluptuous gal…

• Professional Obsessive

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I can confirm that Caruthers was also responsible for removing the original "Brides Ring". BTW,If you don't know yet Foxxfur, the red canopy you disliked outside the Mansion has been restored to it's original green color.
    Yeah, I saw that. I actually didn't mind the red - freshened up that part of the river a bit. What is bad about the 2007 canopy is that it's swallowed the entire "front yard" whole. You no longer get any sense of the house being on an estate, and this is because in 1996 and again in 2001, WDI brilliantly removed the huge spreading oaks that used to be in front of the attraction and provided shade. One was where the fountain/hearse is now, and the two others were removed to make way for the Fastpass structures. This meant there was no longer any shade to escape the oppressive Florida heat, leading to the current idiotic "giant tent" scenario.

The WDW Mansion line is also out of control because WDI/Ops refuse to operate the ride the way it was designed to operate. As is well known in this thread, Disneyland uses a split cattle chute line that splits by the cemetery and merges on the veranda. WDW's never used any kind of stanchion maze prior to 2001. In 1971, that off little mausoleum where you currently split off to go into the new queue was the crowd control podium; it had two turnstiles and a podium for tickets. The stretch from there to the "Front Doors" was designed to fit an exact number of people; the same number who just so happened to fit inside the Foyer and Stretch Room. All the ticket taker had to do was count tickets and hold the line. The line from there back was nothing but a huge herd of people with no maze. Elegant.

Of course in 2001, Fastpass was Pressler's big baby and each land in each theme park needed at least one FP attraction.In order for FP to work, you need a single file line that you can hold to allow FP through, and so Mansion's queue had to be turned into a maze. Now there needed to be switchbacks so of course some of them ended up outside that original green canopy that was put in place to protect a large mass of people moving towards an open pen with turnstiles. Thus eventually leading to the 2007 monster canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Both of those brought WDW into conformity with DL, of course. Was that a motive? As you have written extensively, the push to make WDW just like DL has been operative for a while now.
    That was part of it but I know that the hands in particular had to do entirely with Alex being a jerk. He would get certain ideas in his head and once they were there, you couldn't jar them loose. For example, in 1973 many MK guests had difficulty finding their way inside Pirates of the Caribbean; this is despite it being in a huge fortress with a tower. So WED had pirate flags and a talking parrot placed outside the attraction on the fortress as visual indicators that, yes, the pirate ride is in here.

Of course, in WDW there is no time travel gag like at DL - you enter a fort that the Pirates are attacking. So Alex gets wind of this and orders all of the Pirate flags taken down and has them put up a Spanish flag because when the ride starts the fortress is not yet held by the Pirates.

I actually confronted him about the hands back in 2007. This is exactly how the conversation went:

Me: "You really ought to put the hands back. Claude Coats put those there for a reason."
    Alex: "In the story of the Haunted Mansion, you aren't supposed to see any ghosts until the seance room."
    Me: "What about the hands on the coffin? Are you going to remove those too?"
    Alex: *walks away*

Imagineering, everybody.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Of course, in WDW there is no time travel gag like at DL - you enter a fort that the Pirates are attacking. So Alex gets wind of this and orders all of the Pirate flags taken down and has them put up a Spanish flag because when the ride starts the fortress is not yet held by the Pirates.
    That's odd considering most of the changes made to the Florida pirates seemed to imply that they wanted to do away with the "Now" concept and make it more like Disneyland's Time Travel version mostly by turning off the cannons outside and blasting the DL Pirates Overture in the queue drowning out any signs that the Spanish Soldiers are preparing for an oncoming Pirate attack.
    Last edited by HMF; 06-06-2013 at 02:26 PM.

• Evil is Sexy

Me: "You really ought to put the hands back. Claude Coats put those there for a reason."
    Alex: "In the story of the Haunted Mansion, you aren't supposed to see any ghosts until the seance room."
    Me: "What about the hands on the coffin? Are you going to remove those too?"
    Alex: *walks away*

Imagineering, everybody.

I kind of agree with him on the removal of the monster hands in the corridor of doors. *shrugs*
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM