Page 469 of 586 FirstFirst ... 369419444459466467468469470471472479494519569 ... LastLast
Results 7,021 to 7,035 of 8789

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Great report and photos, Ez. Some of those side shots of the PM are angles seldom seen in photos, so most welcome.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite View Post
    I want to thank everybody for your contributions to the HM Glossary. Should I post it here or start a new thread?
    Naw, don't start any new threads just for that.

• Tickets please...

@ttintagel: You know... I haven't noticed that before! Well Dreamfinder kinda is in the Manor... he's got a new job as the Mayor of Phantom Canyon.

@nojarama: Hope you get to visit soon, its a really nice Disney park.

@Mountain Sprite: Nah. It does look like the Psycho Mansion anyhow, a lot of folks have mentioned it before. I'm guessing it might be based on it slightly? Orrrr... based on something the Psycho Mansion is based on?

@HBG2: No problem. Just thought you guys might like some pics of the Manor. I might have some more that I can post at a later date too.

Annnnd random question... what's this 'HM Glossary'?
    Last edited by Ezra; 06-12-2013 at 10:38 AM.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

Phantom Manor is gorgeous! Thank you for the pictures!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Evil is Sexy

Yay for Phantom Manor photos! I love how most of the CM's there try to stay in character too, with not smiling and looking all grim and serious. LOL.

As for the worn down facade versus the upkept facade - to me the "nicer" one fits the American (Disney) version of a haunted attraction. Nothing inside should be taken too seriously... besides if you watch Ghost Hunters and Ghost Hunters International, many of the places they visit are wonderfully and beautifully upkept historic homes.

The worn down one in DLP fits the more traditional mythos of a haunted area, but the inside is just as grizzly as the outside.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Tickets please...

No problem, glad to be useful. And yes the Manor CMs were great.

The ride only got busy on Sat. while we were there. But the longest the line got to was about 30 minutes anyhow. It seems they don't always have both Stretching Rooms going either, I only was in the one opposite the door about three times.

And yes, I think the more dilapidated facade suites the Manor, it also makes sense to the story in general... as most residents of Thunder Mesa don't go near the Manor or Canyon. But as the Mansion is meant to be looked after on the outside anyhow then its facade being well kept makes sense too.

You have to remember too the "Wild West" American setting of PM. Weathered clapboard buildings are part of the appropriate imagery.

So...

Snooping around the 'Net, I found THIS:

That is BY FAR the sharpest, clearest copy of that familiar piece of Marc Davis concept art that I have found anywhere. Previously, my best copy came by scanning the one in the Surrell book and blowing it up. Here's that one, posted many times on the Thread:

Much murkier. But the new one is only a narrow band across the fuller artwork, so it's deficient in that sense. However, it gets all the little artworks, and that's what's most important. I superimposed the new copy on the old one for a hybrid that gets the best of both. Had to make some minor color and skewing adjustments, but it worked pretty well:

Additionally on the note of Phantom Manor, consider it's geographic location: a whole bunch of countries are just a stones throw away from Disneyland Paris, and many of them speak different languages. You can't rely as much on words to tell someone the ride is scary, you have to show it. No matter what language you speak, any place that looks like that is HAUNTED.

HBG2: That image is a spectacular find!
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

That's a really lovely composite work, and great to see that concept piece looking in near-perfect quality. Thank you HBG2!

And lovely photos as well, Ezra, thanks very much! The Cast Member shots in particular are a lot of fun.

• Professional Obsessive

I can't believe I've never noticed this till now, HBG2, but in that Davis piece you posted he seems to be thinking of the upper half of "Sky and Water I" for the wallpaper pattern:

Name:  3-Sky-and-water.jpeg
Views: 319
Size:  116.6 KB

I think Mansion uses geometry very effectively to convey entrapment, especially in the stretch room and changing portrait hall, so this is very interesting to me. This could even be the start of the idea that led to the "demon wallpaper" concept.

There's no chance that the two influenced each other, but a movie with a lot of scary geometry, Suspiria, uses "Sky and Water I" to uncomfortably draw our eye to a window that a killer is waiting outside:

Name:  vlcsnap-2013-06-12-23h48m59s39.png
Views: 323
Size:  240.1 KB

or to "slash across" a character:

Name:  vlcsnap-2013-06-12-23h49m37s192.png
Views: 322
Size:  231.9 KB

Of course, now there's an actual-for-real Escher nod in the Florida house, so it's interesting to see the associations between tessellation/warped perspective imagery and unusual states of mind all the way back in that particular piece.

• Tickets please...

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    You have to remember too the "Wild West" American setting of PM. Weathered clapboard buildings are part of the appropriate imagery.
    Quote Originally Posted by yensidtlaw1969 View Post
    Additionally on the note of Phantom Manor, consider it's geographic location: a whole bunch of countries are just a stones throw away from Disneyland Paris, and many of them speak different languages. You can't rely as much on words to tell someone the ride is scary, you have to show it. No matter what language you speak, any place that looks like that is HAUNTED.
    Yes, the Manor's Western setting paired with the fact they kind of had to make this one look specifically like a 'haunted house', makes its appearence all the more realistic. Though trying to guess where all the rooms fit in that Manor is another story. XD

Annnnd question... does anyone know if the Manor's safety bars ever went down by themselves? Its just while I was there a CM lowered the bar for you, though it did raise automatically at the end. I know the Phantom doesn't mention anything about lowering the bar for you like the Host does anyway, but I thought I should ask. Not to mention the Phantom doesn't actually say the safety spiel anyhow, a female voice/ghost does... don't know who its meant to be... Leota maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    And lovely photos as well, Ezra, thanks very much! The Cast Member shots in particular are a lot of fun.
    No problem. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Not to mention the Phantom doesn't actually say the safety spiel anyhow, a female voice/ghost does... don't know who its meant to be... Leota maybe?!
    The female voice in the Load area was in fact provided by Oona Lind, who also voices their Madame Leota (and their Little Leota/Melanie Ravenswood Mash-up character . . .).
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

• Tickets please...

Quote Originally Posted by yensidtlaw1969 View Post
    The female voice in the Load area was in fact provided by Oona Lind, who also voices their Madame Leota (and their Little Leota/Melanie Ravenswood Mash-up character . . .).
    Ah I thought it sounded like her! Thanks for the confirmation.

Alright Foxxy, this is just too, too creepy. It was quite a coincidence when we were simultaneously working on Snow White's dark forest, but now I find you scaring up possible influences for Davis's toothy walls in that concept painting, which is exactly what I was doing last evening.

Instead of Escher, however, I went back to visit the Hermitage in St. Petersburg. Oh, by the way people, Lonesome Ghost was moved to pity when he witnessed me resorting to cloning and hybridizing in order to get a more decent print of that Davis concept art, so he shot me a copy of his, which is a nice sharp reproduction of the entire painting. (Oh no, I said "shot." That's good for a month's suspension from second grade.) Anyway, here's what LG gave me. Throw away all your other copies, dudes and dudettes:

Several pages back I floated the idea that in rendering a museum scene, Davis may have taken some inspiration from a real art museum, the Hermitage (which is right up there with the Louvre and the Vatican museums, for those of you who might not know it). I posted this, which has now been improved with the crisper Davis print:

I found a few more details that sorta nudge me in that direction. First of all, there are some white marble statues in those red galleries.

How about purple tapestries against those striking red walls?

As for the toothsome walls, I wondered about direct or indirect influence from the Throne Room:

Nothing close to a smoking gun in there, but those red galleries are quite famous among art historians and connoisseurs. They house the Western European collection, regarded as the heart of the Hermitage museum. Davis certainly would have been familiar with them.

Or Escher. Who knows?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM