Page 470 of 586 FirstFirst ... 370420445460467468469470471472473480495520570 ... LastLast
Results 7,036 to 7,050 of 8789

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Anyone have a good, large photo of the WDW Foyer?

• Professional Obsessive

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Nothing close to a smoking gun in there, but those red galleries are quite famous among art historians and connoisseurs. They house the Western European collection, regarded as the heart of the Hermitage museum. Davis certainly would have been familiar with them.
    I think you're on to something. The red and white colors and overall size of the room is too bizarre a feature for the Haunted Mansion, and too unique a feature of Davis' art for the Mansion in general, to have been coincidental - whether or not Davis actually remembered what he was thinking of at the time. The arched ceiling is particularly telling.

Interestingly, it does show Davis trying to work in what I guess can be described as semi-Rolly-Crump style, meeting Rolly halfway. I'd love to know what year this was intended for since that door at the back doesn't exactly imply Stretch Room Exit. The lack of a visible exit at the end (I always wondered if you exited out of the fireplace) further suggests that this may not have been intended for a portrait gallery in the way it was finally realized inside the Mansion. Marc always said he initially designed the changing portraits to have multiple phases and they'd change over the course of something like 30 minutes, so perhaps that's involved in here too.

The red and white colors do typify a Davis touch that didn't really end up being built in any of the rides he worked on, which was his ideas about bold colors. The original stretch room portraits are obvious examples, as are the original color schemes of the Orlando "sinister 11" portraits before their hues started to drift over the years after being repainted a few times. Medusa was bright green, the red flaming sky behind the "creepy villager" guy, and so on. Marc was working with Mary Blair on Western River Expedition and wanted to use her bright colors to paint his desert landscape in yellow, gold, blue and purple. And of course the Enchanted Snow Palace was to juxtapose white objects against a deep blue sky and a dancing aurora borealis. There's a piece he did for Snow Palace of a white deer standing amidst white frozen plants on a snowy field against a pure blue sky that is so beautiful that I wept on seeing it for the first time.

• Inhospitable about happy

Exiting through the fireplace makes sense. Weird and scary and unexpected, right?

The layout is possible. Remember that the twin walkthrus are not identical, and at best mirror images of each other. I imagine they planned to have a common anteroom after the stretchroom elevators, and two doorways for the two walkthrus. The gray areas are where the projectors and such are located. The one on the right is the one in the two Marc Davis sketches. The big face at one end is indicated by the rectangle. The one on the left would have had a different layout. This is pure conjecture, but it shows that it could have worked.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Cunning infiltrator

I think the Hatbox Ghost will be back in 2016.....

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• Tickets please...

Okay, just a random guess there eh? XD I think he'll be put back in once the new movie is released. I was wondering though, it has been mentioned it will include more than one Mansion... does this mean the Manor might be featured? And if so, if they want to put Hattie in all the Mansions... will he get a SUBTLE cameo in the Manor too?

BTW... I remember reading a while ago in this thread, someone had the original movie script for the Mansion movie, where the Hitchhikers were featured more. Anyone here still have it?

Oh and I have another question, with the Mansion and Manor, is there a way to get on the ride (if you ask a CM) where you can bypass the Stretching Room? Just a member of my family wants to be able to get on one of these rides at some point, but has issues with crowded, stuffy places and was wondering about this. And I know how crammed in those Stretching Rooms can be.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    And I know how crammed in those Stretching Rooms can be.
    Ride right at opening. The rooms are wide-open spaces when there's nobody in there.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Ride right at opening. The rooms are wide-open spaces when there's nobody in there.
    I seriously need to start doing this. I tend to ride in the afternoon or sunset and am faced by many talkers and several rude, loud people.

• Minion

I have a question. Does anyone have a picture of the new green tarps at MK's Haunted Mansion?

• I do believe in fairies!

Love the px people. I've been away from home for the past few days and haven't been able to access my files there. I will work on getting the glossary up and running in here; probably tomorrow or the next day. Thanks for your responses.

BTW I've almost finished reading HBG2's blog. Whew! what a lot to read. Very informative and helpful in understanding all that you guys are talking about. I got a lot of my abbreviations from his blog so many in fact that I had to start a Word database to keep track of them all.

FYI: the Daily Picture thread has a lot of great px of DL's HM. I've really enjoyed wading through all 5000+ photos.

My recent visit to the park was great and I was able to basically walk onto the HM ride. After reading all of your posts I saw the "spider web" bullet hole and noticed the ghosts that were "haunting elsewhere" because they weren't present. This is an awesome thread. Without your input I would have missed a lot.
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

• Cunning infiltrator

You can always discover/learn something new at the Haunted Mansion.

The attraction never gets old and I can never get enough of it!

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Okay, just a random guess there eh? XD I think he'll be put back in once the new movie is released. I was wondering though, it has been mentioned it will include more than one Mansion... does this mean the Manor might be featured? And if so, if they want to put Hattie in all the Mansions... will he get a SUBTLE cameo in the Manor too?

BTW... I remember reading a while ago in this thread, someone had the original movie script for the Mansion movie, where the Hitchhikers were featured more. Anyone here still have it?

Oh and I have another question, with the Mansion and Manor, is there a way to get on the ride (if you ask a CM) where you can bypass the Stretching Room? Just a member of my family wants to be able to get on one of these rides at some point, but has issues with crowded, stuffy places and was wondering about this. And I know how crammed in those Stretching Rooms can be.
    Wait! I've been out of the loop. There's another HM movie in the works or are you guys just speculating?
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Another great time is right before the Fantasmic show starts. I went on about 3pm and was able to walk on 3 times in a row with maybe 10-12 people in the elevator. I don't know if that's too many people for your family member. However I went June 3rd. It's probably a mess no matter what time you want to ride the DL HM in July and August.

Does anybody know when the Halloween decs go up in the fall? I want to go to the park then because I've never seen it at that time of the year.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite View Post
    Wait! I've been out of the loop. There's another HM movie in the works or are you guys just speculating?
    No, there really is a new HM movie planned, with director Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy) involved, although it's unclear if he'll actually direct. Del Toro is a HUGE Mansion fan, and most of us are inclined to trust his instincts, so expectations are generally high. It'll be a scary film. The Hat Box Ghost will be a key character. No date has been set, not even tentatively. Scripts have been written, and some artwork has been produced; however, it's still in its beginning stages, and it's always possible this early in the game that the project could get canceled, so you have to be careful not to get your hopes TOO high. Every time someone asks del Toro about it, he insists that the project is very much alive.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    No, there really is a new HM movie planned, with director Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy) involved, although it's unclear if he'll actually direct. Del Toro is a HUGE Mansion fan, and most of us are inclined to trust his instincts, so expectations are generally high. It'll be a scary film. The Hat Box Ghost will be a key character. No date has been set, not even tentatively. Scripts have been written, and some artwork has been produced; however, it's still in its beginning stages, and it's always possible this early in the game that the project could get canceled, so you have to be careful not to get your hopes TOO high. Every time someone asks del Toro about it, he insists that the project is very much alive.
    And it's just one of the many projects he's juggling around like At the Mountains of Madness, Frankenstein and a creepy stop-motion version of Pinocchio featuring a fascist Italy setting (because what better thing to contrast with a puppet wanting to be a real boy then the society surrounding him themselves becoming puppets?) and Tom Waits as Geppetto to name a few. So even if it gets going, it'll probably be a while.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I think as well he confirmed making an entirely separate, hard-R haunted house film, so add that to the list.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM