Page 471 of 618 FirstFirst ... 371421446461468469470471472473474481496521571 ... LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,065 of 9257

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I have a question. Does anyone have a picture of the new green tarps at MK's Haunted Mansion?
    There was an image of a small portion of it on Miceage's Dateline Disney World a few weeks back.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I did see that one when it came out weeks ago. However, I was wondering if somebody had a picture of the whole thing from a distance.

• Tickets please...

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    No, there really is a new HM movie planned, with director Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy) involved, although it's unclear if he'll actually direct. Del Toro is a HUGE Mansion fan, and most of us are inclined to trust his instincts, so expectations are generally high. It'll be a scary film. The Hat Box Ghost will be a key character. No date has been set, not even tentatively. Scripts have been written, and some artwork has been produced; however, it's still in its beginning stages, and it's always possible this early in the game that the project could get canceled, so you have to be careful not to get your hopes TOO high. Every time someone asks del Toro about it, he insists that the project is very much alive.
    This. Also something was mentioned about the Hatbox Ghost being the center of a web of Mansions. Or something. Also I heard that the movie could have ties in to the Magic Kingdom movie being made.

Therefore I'm thinking the movie will feature more than one Mansion, also I heard that its not your typical haunted house movie, something like the Mansions are a link to a ghostly realm?

Speculation here, but when you exit the Mansion actually on the ride, the outside of it does not look like the facade building, also the whole 'prepare to exit to the living world' thing might be what they're aiming for here? The Mansion is more than just a haunted house. I also hope there's some Manor references.

And thanks for the tips guys, I didn't consider going on it early... I thought later on near park closing. The Manor was pretty empty near park closing time at DLRP anyhow.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Ezra, I saw someone post that Disneyland Park is pretty empty on Sunday mornings before 10 am, so maybe that would be another time for your family member to try a trip through the stretching room.

Also, if they are extremely claustrophobic, perhaps they could try mentioning it to a CM at the HM at one of these very light crowd times. They might make arrangements for your family member to enter through the chicken exit and meet the rest of the party at the doombuggy loading area.

Do suggest that they try to go in the stretching room if possible. It really does make a big impression if they can stand the close quarters.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Tickets please...

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Ezra, I saw someone post that Disneyland Park is pretty empty on Sunday mornings before 10 am, so maybe that would be another time for your family member to try a trip through the stretching room.

Also, if they are extremely claustrophobic, perhaps they could try mentioning it to a CM at the HM at one of these very light crowd times. They might make arrangements for your family member to enter through the chicken exit and meet the rest of the party at the doombuggy loading area.

Do suggest that they try to go in the stretching room if possible. It really does make a big impression if they can stand the close quarters.
    Thanks for the information! I didn't think of the exit. Might be an option if a CM agrees. We'll probably be getting back to the Manor before I manage to visit one of the Mansions, but its pretty much the same layout. I do hope I can visit DLR, maybe I should try working toward a vacation there after my next trip to DLRP.

But yes, I have spoken to her about the Stretching Room being a main part of the experience before, she would like to go in there, but isn't sure she could handle it (she has issues with fainting or at least feeling faint in such conditions). Again thank you for your reply.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

• Professional Obsessive

Exiting through the fireplace makes sense. Weird and scary and unexpected, right?

The layout is possible. Remember that the twin walkthrus are not identical, and at best mirror images of each other. I imagine they planned to have a common anteroom after the stretchroom elevators, and two doorways for the two walkthrus. The gray areas are where the projectors and such are located. The one on the right is the one in the two Marc Davis sketches. The big face at one end is indicated by the rectangle. The one on the left would have had a different layout. This is pure conjecture, but it shows that it could have worked.
    You know, after Rolly's contributions to Mansion ran out of steam, one of the final things he did for WED before leaving in '70 or '71 was work on Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom. One of those assignments was the Florida Mr. Toad, which in retrospect has some similarities to the "double sided" Mansion walkthru. On the insistence of Dick Nunis, it has two sides which mirror each other but are not identical. The two tracks also would share certain scenes and interact; the cars would seem to be headed for a head-on collision, go thru a large room together, then split off. It was filled with Rolly's crazy colors and in-joke humor; in Toad's trophy room he had Small World and Jungle Cruise animal heads mounted on his walls. It had a scene with gypsies because, you know, Rolly Crump. In fact I thought of the "fireplace exit" because that's what happened in the first scene of the right-side track; altho this was ostensibly replicated at DL in 1983, the effect is different because the cars exit thru a fireplace instead of seeming to barrel towards certain doom into it.

I bring it up because the similarities do suggest that both sides of the Mansion walkthru experience could have ended up similar but with different order / emphasis and perhaps even share a large room or two. I think that result can even be said to be can inevitable result of any ambitious creative team tasked to create similar experiences under the same roof, and Mystic Manor ended up doing some of the same thing as well.

Given how long he worked on the project it seems likely that Crump would've tried to salvage as many ideas he and Gracey came up with for Mansion in a later project, and who knows, maybe Toad is it?

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FoxxFur View Post
    It had a scene with gypsies because, you know, Rolly Crump.

Given how long he worked on the project it seems likely that Crump would've tried to salvage as many ideas he and Gracey came up with for Mansion in a later project, and who knows, maybe Toad is it?
    An interesting concept. How awesome would it have been to be able to experience the Mansion in two similar but differnt ways? If it had worked in the way Toad did, it could have been stupendous!

• I do believe in fairies!

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect: Who's Who In The Real World Section

Okay. This is my first attempt at this so anyone who wants to make improvements or additions have at it. I've gleaned the names of these people and the positions they've held or are now holding off of this thread and off of HBG2's outstanding Blog: Long Forgotten. Some of the dates may be outdated and since I'm a newbie to the thread I bow to the wisdom of you hardcore fans to help me make corrections or amendments. In fact I'd appreciate the help.

Al Lutz: Disneyland extraordinaire and the creator of MiceAge. And since there would be no MiceChat without MiceAge this makes Al a really cool dude.

Meg Crofton: Former President of WDW Resort. Now does a form of Al Weiss' job at Worldwide Operations

Al Weiss: President of Worldwide Operations for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Former President of Walt Disney World Resort (1996-11/2005).

Michael Colglazier: Current president of the Disneyland Resort.

John Lasseter: Chief Creative Officer at Pixar Animation Studios and Walt Disney Feature Animation

Dan Cockerel: Vice President of Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Matt Ouimett: Former President of Disneyland Resort.

George Kalogridis: Current President of WDW Resort

Michael Eisener: Former CEO of The Walt Disney Company

Paul Pressler: Former president of the Disney Store

Robert Iger: Current CEO of The Walt Disney Company

Joe Rasulo: Satan (ok. ok. I swear I did NOT come up with this name for the guy. I found him being referred to as such...so don't shoot the messenger).

Rolly Crump: In 1959, he joined show design at Walt Disney Imagineering. There he became one of Walt's key designers for some of Disneyland's groundbreaking new attractions and shops, including The Haunted Mansion, Enchanted Tiki Room and Adventureland Bazaar. Rolly served as key designer on the Disney attractions featured at the 1964-65 New York World's Fair, including It's a Small World, for which he designed the Tower of the Four Winds marquee.
    Last edited by Mountain Sprite; 06-21-2013 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Updated personnel & positions
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect: Who's Who In The Real World Section

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite View Post

Al Weiss: President of Worldwide Operations for Walt Disney Parks adn Resorts. Former President of Walt Disney World Resort (1996-11/2005).

Ed Grier: Current president of the Disneyland Resort.

John Lasseter: Chief Creative Officer at Pixar Animation Studios and Walt Disney Feature Animation

Lee Cockerell: Executive Vice President of Operations of WDW (Walt Disney World).

Matt Ouimett: Former President of Disneyland Resort.

Meg Crofton: Current President of WDW Resort (effective 8/1/06 - )

The current Disneyland President is Michael Colglazier, Current President of WDW is George Kalogridis, Meg Crofton has a variation on Al Weiss' old job. Lee Cockerel is retired but his son Dan is VP of Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Threads Glossary

If you find something wrong, outdated or need to add something let me know. Your help is always appreciated.

AA: Audio-animatronic (figure)
    AP: Annual Passholder

BH: Beating-Heart bride http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2010/05/here-comes-bride-part-two-beating-heart.html
    "Beating Heart" was the name of the Bride in the attic form Aug-Sep 1969 to the late 70's. In May 2006 they moved her position to the other side of the track and renamed her Constance. BH was also referred to as the Corpse Bride back in Oct 1975. HBG2 has documented his extensive research on the "bride" in his blog in May/Jun 2010. There's just too much to link here.

update: Per Attic Haunt: To most people our current bride Constance is NOT Beating Heart. Beating Heart was/were the bride AA(s) that actually showed a glowing, beating heart (This was all the brides before Connie, I believe). Connie still has the heartbeat soundtrack but does not have a visible beating heart. (Some would say Connie is heartless).

BIL: Brother-in-Law

CB: Corpse Bride - WDW original bride (see BH)
    Update: Re: CB: from HMG: CB was not replaced in 1971 but at some point after 1975 likely in the late 70s

CM: Cast Member - a Disney park employee. They refer to as the park as a "stage" and the employees a part of the cast.
    COD: Corridor of Doors
    Cons: Converse All-Stars - the unofficial shoes of MiceChat.

Constance: (aka Beating Heart) - The name of the bride in the attic after she was placed on the other side of the track in May 2006 - Constance has a CGI face and arms.

CP: College Program - Walt Disney World College Program

DCA: Disney California Adventure - the "sister" park to Disneyland
    DD: Dear Daughter
    DS: Dear Son
    DH: Dear Hubby
    DK: Dark Knight - Headless knight in the graveyard scene
    DL: Disneyland - Walt Disney's original theme park located in Anaheim, Ca. Opened on July 17, 1955 (some say it was July 18). It is the center of the Disney universe.

DLR: Disneyland Resort - The entire Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, CA consisting of two theme parks (Disneyland and Disney California Adventure), 3 hotels (Disneyland Hotel, Disney's Paradise Pier and Disney's Grand Californian) and Downtown Disney (DTD).

DLRP: Disneyland Resort Paris - The entire Disneyland Resort in Paris consisting of 2 parks (Disneyland Park (DLP) and Walt Disney Studios Park (WDSP) and 5 hotels.
    DS: Dear Spouse

DTD: Downtown Disney - A shopping and dining experience located at the Disney Resorts in Anaheim, Ca and Orlando, Fl.
    DW: Dear Wife

EH: Endless Hallway
    EMH
    : Extra Magic Hours -
    WDW Resort guests are invited for one hour in the morning or three hours in the evening for select attractions, shows and parks depending on scheduling.

DL Resort hotel guests are offered an early admission, during every day of hotel stay, to select attractions, stores, entertainment and dining locations in either Disneyland Park or Disneyland California Adventure Park one hour before the park opens to the general public.

FIL: Father-in-Law
    FOCM: Friends of Cast Members

GGG: Grim Grinning Ghost - Refers to the title of the song sung in the Haunted Graveyard.
    GRD: Ghost Relations Department -

HBG: Hat Box Ghost -
    A mysterious ghost in the mansion that seems to disappear and reappear throughout the years. He is a legend amongst the fans. His head disappears off of his shoulders and then reappears in the hat box he is carrying.

HBG: Doombuggies.com article: Myths and Legends (www.doombuggies.com/myths2.php)
    Comment:Per bigcattrik: You might want to add a few words about the HBG's prominent placement in the HM storybooks and accompanying artwork, which has a lot to do with his visibility/reputation.

HBG2: A superb poster on these threads with an informative blog called the Long-Forgotten Blog. It is filled with HM photos, trivia, information, and sound bites. It’s an excellent introduction to HM lore. After this raving review can I post a link?

HHG: Hitchhiking Ghosts - Gus (the short one with the ball & chain), Ezra (with the bowler hat and elongated thumb), and Phineas (stocky dude wearing a top hat.)

HM: Haunted Mansion
    HMH: Haunted Mansion Holiday - A special Nightmare Before Christmas overlay for Disneyland's HM ever Oct-Dec/early Jan. Also used as a referral to its first overlay in 2001.

IASW: It's A Small World - I know it doesn't have anything to do with the HM but it's been mentioned in here so I threw it in.

LG: Lonesome Ghosts - Mickey Mouse cartoon short. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iaOlMcJvyU
    LJNP: Loulie Jean Norman-Price (aka Brunhilde) The Phantom of the Opera female ghost singer. Famous for the soprano voice in the Star Trek theme song.

MB1: Middle Bride 1 - Replaced "Round-eyed" Beating Heart bride in September 1995 - 2000.
    http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2010/05/here-comes-bride-part-three-two-lost.html

Update Re: MB1 and MB2: 06-21-13 from HMF: I would hypothesize/argue that MB1 was replaced by MB2 after the first HMH in 2002 rather than the year 2000. After all that time period would give WDI more time to tinker with the figure. Plus there is a photo from January 2000 soon after Marc Davis died showing MB1 standing next to a CM inserted tribute to Marc.
    MB2: Middle Bride 2 - Replaced MB1 (2000 - May 2006)
    MDM L: Madame Leota - bodiless ghost head that runs the séance
    Meet: This is what when we all get together and hang out...or meet...uhhh
    MHP: Mickey's Halloween Party - A hard ticket event during select nights in September and October. It covers both parks.

MHT:
    Mickey's Halloween Treat - Disneyland's annual private Halloween event held at DCA since 2005 and held at DL in the late 1990's. It ceased in (?) and became Mickey's Halloween Party.
    Can some of you pros help me out with some clarification on these two events?

MIL: Mother-in-Law
    MK: Magic Kingdom - Found at Walt Disney World (WDW) in Orlando, Florida
    MNSSHP: Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
    A hard tickey event held at the Magic Kingdom during select nights in September and October.
    MVMCP: Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
    A hard ticket event at the Magic Kingdom during select nights in November and December.

NBC: Nightmare Before Christmas (see HMH - Haunted Mansion Holiday)
    NOS: New Orleans Square -
    Located exclusively at Disneyland, CA and themed after old New Orleans. This land features such famous attractions as Pirates of the Caribbean (POTC) and our beloved Haunted Mansion.

OGL: Opera Glasses Lady - One of the "Sinister 11" portraits in the HM and at WDW HM

PC: Pet Cemetery - http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2010/07/pet-cemeteries.html
    PDofT: Phantom Drummer of Tedworth -
    An actual ghost from the 1600's documented in a book called Saducimus Triumphatus: Or, Full and Plain Evidence Concerning Witches and Apparitions. His likeness is used in the ghostly band in the HM. He became part of the Phantom Five (the name given to the band) and I can't help it...the music is to die for. uggggh I know. - Thanks for HBG2 for the research

PLOTSI: Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island. This link give you some interesting insight on the connection of the lair with the Haunted Mansion. http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2010/09/jean-lafitte-and-mega-theme-temptation.html

PLQ: Walt Disney World Haunted Mansion Interactive Queue
    PM: Phantom Manor - The name for the haunted mansion-type ride in Disneyland Paris
    Pocky: The official snack of MiceChat
    POTC: Pirates of the Caribbean

QSF&B: Quick Service Food & Beverage

RCMC: Random Court of MiceChat
    REBH: Ol Round Eyes Beating Heart - Replaced Beating Heart bride (1969-1970) in 1971 and lasted until 1995.
    RoundUp: MiceAge feature that talks about interesting threads on MiceChat

SATAN: Joe Rasulo - as I said earlier "I" didn't christen him with that name.
    SIL: Sister-in-Law
    "Sinister 11": Portraits that were created for the HM. Some were used at the other HM's. Most were unused ideas for the portrait gallery. Jack the Ripper, The Knight - Edward - The Black Prince, Guy Fawkes, Ivan the Terrible - which were going to be talking portraits - The Ogre, Dracula, Medusa, The Arsonist/Wolfman, The Flying Dutchman, April/December, and the Witch of Walpurgis

Smurf-Bride: One of the middle brides used in WDW 1996-1998, 2000-2002, and 2006

TDA: Team Disney Anaheim - There was a colorful description for these people but I thought it would be best to leave it out.
    TDL: Tokyo Disneyland - consisting of Tokyo Disneyland (TDL), Tokyo Disney Sea (TDS) adn on-site hotels.
    TDS: Tokyo Disney Sea

The "R" Word: Rhymes with Zeputation - how we award our fellow MiceChatters when they make a good post that's worthy of praise. There is a function to this but we'd rather not get into that here.

TR: Trip Report - A report of a trip to anywhere. Could be the parks, the zoo, the beach or maybe even someplace as exciting as the store.
    TSI: Tom Sawyer's Island
    WDS: Walt Disney Studios
    WDW: Walt Disney World - The Disney Company's Orlando Theme Parks consisting of the Magic Kingdom (MK), Epcot, Disney MGM Studios and Animal Kingdom.
    WED: Older name for WDI
    WDI: Walt Disney Imagineers

YAGE: Yet-Another-Grand-Exit
    Post/thread made by a member of MiceChat explaining why they are leaving MiceChat.

Yesterland: A website celebrating the gone, but not forgotten attractions adn restaurants of Disneyland and DCA www.yesterland.com
    Last edited by Mountain Sprite; 06-22-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Updated Data :)
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

HMF thanks for the info, I've updated the list. You can delete or leave your post if you'd like

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    I think as well he confirmed making an entirely separate, hard-R haunted house film, so add that to the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    And it's just one of the many projects he's juggling around like At the Mountains of Madness, Frankenstein and a creepy stop-motion version of Pinocchio featuring a fascist Italy setting (because what better thing to contrast with a puppet wanting to be a real boy then the society surrounding him themselves becoming puppets?) and Tom Waits as Geppetto to name a few. So even if it gets going, it'll probably be a while.
    No, there really is a new HM movie planned, with director Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy) involved, although it's unclear if he'll actually direct. Del Toro is a HUGE Mansion fan, and most of us are inclined to trust his instincts, so expectations are generally high. It'll be a scary film. The Hat Box Ghost will be a key character. No date has been set, not even tentatively. Scripts have been written, and some artwork has been produced; however, it's still in its beginning stages, and it's always possible this early in the game that the project could get canceled, so you have to be careful not to get your hopes TOO high. Every time someone asks del Toro about it, he insists that the project is very much alive.
    Thanks for responding to my question. I hope they don't make it a scary/gorey movie. I like a well placed "Boo!" but not something that has me afraid to turn out the lights at night. Like that Stephen King/John Cusak movie about the hotel room. No thank you. And I've had enough of movies where people walk all jerky like in The Ring and The Grudge. I'll need lifetimes of therapy to get over those three movies. Part of what I like about the HM and the movie is that it's a fun kind of scary. I guess I'm just a big scaredy cat.

• Evil is Sexy

Samara... the only child I am terrified of. *nods*
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Hey, Sprite... nice abbreviation list! One small correction I would make. To most people our current bride Constance is NOT Beating Heart. Beating Heart was/were the bride AA(s) that actually showed a glowing, beating heart (This was all the brides before Connie, I believe). Connie still has the heartbeat soundtrack but does not have a visible beating heart. (Some would say Connie is heartless).

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Threads Glossary

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite View Post

MB1: Middle Bride 1 - Replaced "Round-eyed" Beating Heart bride in September 1995 - 2000.
    http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2010/05/here-comes-bride-part-three-two-lost.html

MB2: Middle Bride 2 - Replaced MB1 (2000 - May 2006)
    I would hypothesize/argue that MB1 was replaced by MB2 after the first HMH in 2002 rather than the year 2000. After all that time period would give WDI more time to tinker with the figure. Plus there is a photo from January 2000 soon after Marc Davis died showing MB1 standing next to a CM inserted tribute to Marc.

Also CB was not replaced in 1971 but at some point after 1975 likely in the late 70s.
    Last edited by HMF; 06-21-2013 at 05:30 AM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM