Page 473 of 586 FirstFirst ... 373423448463470471472473474475476483498523573 ... LastLast
Results 7,081 to 7,095 of 8786

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite View Post
    Thanks for the compliment. I will change that right away. I haven't gotten all the way through HBG2's blog yet so I'm sure he corrected that. I'm only in 2010. So BH is NOT Constance. Got it. You can delete or leave your post as you like.
    I would think that in WDI lore, all the various brides through the years are supposed to be the same character. The original Attic Scene with HBG and the Corpse Bride strongly suggested that the Bride was responsible for decapitating the Hatbox Ghost plus the Widow portrait is a 1969 original element. The Constance thing is just logically putting the pieces together via retcon. That's why I think the Constance thing works even though the DL Version is looking really horrible these days, They should bring the far-more realistic WDW Version West to Disneyland because the DL version looks like crap.
    On an unfortunate note there are more details emerging on how FP+ will be forcing the vast majority of WDW Guests to go through PLQ.
    Haunted Mansion and Fastpass+ | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt Disney World discussion forums
    Last edited by HMF; 06-22-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Their portrait gallery doesn't come until much later and they have more pictures. I think that's what you guys call the "Sinister 11", right? He focuses a lot on the attic scene and there are several portraits of Constance's different husbands. I don't remember that in ours.
    The Sinister 11 were a series of portraits which originally appeared in the portrait Hallway in the WDW Ride and their eyes would follow you as your doombuggy went by. In 2007 that hallway was changed to a ride-through version of DL's Changing-Portrait gallery. The old Sinister 11 portraits were re-located to the Load Area and the space between the ballroom and Attic without the staring eyes.
    The wedding portraits are in both the DL and WDW attics. TDL is currently still in it's "Second Middle Bride" Phase with screaming Pop-Up Ghosts. The TDL Mansion is basically the WDW Mansion as it existed prior to 2007 though in much better shape.
    Last edited by HMF; 06-22-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    Are there any pics of the HM we need? I'm going again on Monday-Thurs, so I can take any pics we need. I'm taking my stereo camera too, in case anybody wants some more cool 3D Disneyland pics. I'll take requests...
    Attic, preferably HBG's spot.

You got it. Actually, it's my attempt to make it everybody's list so that a newbie, like myself, who wanders in here can make heads or tales of what you guys are all saying.

So if the PM is not like the HM, what's the difference? I thought all the rides were basically the same ride with the same features...elevator with elongating pictures, portrait gallery, doombuggies, COD, seance room; ballroom scene, attic, graveyard, HHG, and then exit.
    Phantom Manor is Disneyland Paris' version of the Haunted Mansion. It has a fully fleshed-out story and is a vey different experience.
    You can read more about it here.
    DoomBuggies > Explore the history and marvel at the mystery of Disney's Haunted Mansion attractions!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Give us more, more, more.
    The opening script page they posted was from July 19th of 1968, when they were planning on having the Ghost Host speak through a bust in the foyer. Also contains an earlier version of "Entering the stretch room" spiel. Ghost Host identifies himself as "your invisible ghost host" and refers to the stretch room as the Ghostly Gallery

They've also posted Wally Boag's 1966 pitch and script for that scrapped pre-opening idea of the outdoor phone. It'd was going to be a two tape thing, one on a loop of a painter trapped in the basement calling for help and when activated by a guest, a second tape would have the painter meet a terrible fate and a ghost picking up the phone telling the listener that the painter has joined the ranks of the house's spirits

Posting neat archive stuff daily for a couple weeks is a pretty good way for them to kick off their free membership program. It's actually not that hard to get the images they're presenting off the site, but I think it wouldn't hurt to wait a bit before sharing, even though judging from the watermarks of the larger images, they're probably expecting it.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    They've also posted Wally Boag's 1966 pitch and script for that scrapped pre-opening idea of the outdoor phone. It'd was going to be a two tape thing, one on a loop of a painter trapped in the basement calling for help and when activated by a guest, a second tape would have the painter meet a terrible fate and a ghost picking up the phone telling the listener that the painter has joined the ranks of the house's spirits
    Sounds almost like the Prudence Crypt in PLQ.

• Tickets please...

Phantom Manor is only at DLRP, its story is nothing like DLR's or WDW's (DLR and WDW have pretty much the same story, WDW just has some extra scenes). In general Phantom Manor is scarier than Haunted Mansion. If you like I can PM you the story of Phantom Manor, I dunno if posting it in this thread would take up too much posting space.

Phantom Manor's story is also connected to all of DLRP Frontierland's story too.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Are you taking pics inside the Mansion (no flash of course), or just the outside?
    I may take a digital one of the days, but most likely just my Nikon SLR and my Stereo rangefinder (film cameras). Any shots you wanted in particular?

I saw a request for the HBG spot. I'll do my best. Any others?

• Tickets please...

I may take a digital one of the days, but most likely just my Nikon SLR and my Stereo rangefinder (film cameras). Any shots you wanted in particular?
    The Hitchhikers! Also-maybe-perhaps the Organist but I know he's not the easiest ghost to get a good pic of.

OK - I'll even shoot for a pic of the Hitchhikers in 3d!

• Tickets please...

Thanks!

• Inhospitable about happy

While they still are.

As for "Beating Heart," that's the official name of the bride figure in the attic until Constance. It's on the blueprints and on the schematic drawings of the AA, and that AA figure was the same one all of those years. The various nicknames we've come up are simply to help distinguish the different cosmetic presentations of the Beating Heart figure. "Corpse Bride," "Round Eyes," "Middle Bride" (1 & 2) are all Beating Heart. And they all had the red, glowing, beating heart, so the name has always been appropriate. It was only with Constance that the Beating Heart AA was finally retired, so she's NOT "Beating Heart." She is, however, the attic bride, intended to be taken as a reformulation but not a replacement of a single character. There has always and ever been only one attic bride in the imaginative world of the HM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

While they still are.
    Don't tell me you have some inside info that says they aren't long for this world! :O

Alright Foxxy, this is just too, too creepy. It was quite a coincidence when we were simultaneously working on Snow White's dark forest, but now I find you scaring up possible influences for Davis's toothy walls in that concept painting, which is exactly what I was doing last evening.

<SNIP>

Nothing close to a smoking gun in there, but those red galleries are quite famous among art historians and connoisseurs. They house the Western European collection, regarded as the heart of the Hermitage museum. Davis certainly would have been familiar with them.

Or Escher. Who knows?
    Never been to the Hermitage but hope to see it some day.

Don't know if it was a Disney influence. But the Hall of Mirrors (itself a tribute to Versailles) in Mad King Ludwig II's Schloss Linderhof reminded me quite a lot of the Haunted Mansion's Endless Hallway. It has two large mirrors facing each other at opposite sides of the room, such that when you gaze in either direction you view what seem to be infinitely long corridors. While visiting Linderhof, our guide stated that King Ludwig loved to light candles in that room and spend many hours there. Must have looked incredible by candlelight. This may have been during his (what I call anyway) "vampiric" phase; when he only slept during the day and arose only after dark.

Linderhof is in the same region of Germany (Bavaria) as Schloss Neuschwanstein. And Neuschwanstein is often reputed to have been either a design influence or inspiration for Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland. I visited both Linderhof and Neuschwanstein in a day since they are so close to each other--great experience, highly recommended.

Unfortunately no photo-taking is allowed inside Schloss Linderhof--not even without a flash. When I got home I googled my heart out and still can't find any photos of Linderhof's Hall of Mirrors showing the spooky infinity effect itself (e.g. looking into either mirror). Only the overall room itself. So I'm unable to pass anything visual on--only a description.

Ludwig had an untimely and suspicious demise (drowned in a lake after being deposed for draining the Bavarian state's coffers building castles--suicide or murder, no one's sure). If he and his many castles weren't an influence or inspiration for the Haunted Mansion, they could or should have been. Great source / reference material for a haunted house attraction.

At Linderhof, I also enjoyed the dining room. Forget about Dumb Waiters. Ludwig had it designed such that his entire dining room table could be lowered and raised so he could eat without seeing his servants. Or anyone else. Spooky. There's also the faux cave at Neuschwanstein and the grotto at Linderhof (did not have a chance to see this due to time constraints).
    Last edited by mikeerdas; 06-24-2013 at 03:13 PM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM