Page 474 of 559 FirstFirst ... 374424464471472473474475476477484524 ... LastLast
Results 7,096 to 7,110 of 8380

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Ludwig had an untimely and suspicious demise (drowned in a lake after being deposed for draining the Bavarian state's coffers building castles--suicide or murder, no one's sure). If he and his many castles weren't an influence or inspiration for the Haunted Mansion, they could or should have been. Great source / reference material for a haunted house attraction
    .[/QUOTE]

Yes and it was a good source of reference material for Curse of Dark kastle at Busch Gardens Williamsburg VA.I am sorry I don't have a link but it is a big time dark ride put in around 2006 with a very similar back story as in Prince Ludwig and his Bavarian Castle.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    Don't tell me you have some inside info that says they aren't long for this world! :O
    Well, I'm just pretty sure they will want to bring the CG hitchhikers to DL eventually.

Thanks, mikeerdas, for that fascinating info about Linderhof. That was all new to me.

I added some new artwork to an old post at the blog ("The Sťance Circle Part Two" Aug 2010). Professor Oddfellow posted it at one of his blogs recently, and I sorta borrowed it.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Well, I'm just pretty sure they will want to bring the CG hitchhikers to DL eventually.
    The vague thought that gives me hope that it won't happen here is that the current HHG installation is fairly maintenance-free and they'd have to spend extra money upgrading the HMH version too instead of simply installing the existing props. Money needs to be spent elsewhere within DL (*cough*Tomorrowland*cough*).

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by mikeerdas View Post
    Unfortunately no photo-taking is allowed inside Schloss Linderhof--not even without a flash. When I got home I googled my heart out and still can't find any photos of Linderhof's Hall of Mirrors showing the spooky infinity effect itself (e.g. looking into either mirror). Only the overall room itself. So I'm unable to pass anything visual on--only a description.
    Actually, you can take flash-less photos, according to some tourists. Anyway, I found a photo of the Hall of Mirrors that shows the endless reflection effect:

But the REAL discovery for me was Ludwig's underground lake, made up as the "Grotto of Venus," complete with golden boat. Ludwig used electrically produced colored lighting in there (yes, they had electrical generators even back then). This must certainly have been a direct influence on the caverns of the Calico Mine Train at Knott's and, much more indirectly, perhaps also on the Rainbow Caverns in the DL mine train.

Compare those with some shots at Knott's

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by mansionman View Post
    Ludwig had an untimely and suspicious demise (drowned in a lake after being deposed for draining the Bavarian state's coffers building castles--suicide or murder, no one's sure). If he and his many castles weren't an influence or inspiration for the Haunted Mansion, they could or should have been. Great source / reference material for a haunted house attraction
    Yes and it was a good source of reference material for Curse of Dark kastle at Busch Gardens Williamsburg VA.I am sorry I don't have a link but it is a big time dark ride put in around 2006 with a very similar back story as in Prince Ludwig and his Bavarian Castle.[/QUOTE]

Thanks MansionMan. It's been a while since I've been to Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Will have to check it out some time. May have a little too much CG for my tastes, but would like to see it in person.

Thanks, mikeerdas, for that fascinating info about Linderhof. That was all new to me.
    You're very welcome. Thanks for posting the follow-up photos. Hard to capture the full impact of gazing into the mirrors in-situ. Photos generally don't do it justice. But you found a better one than I.

Nice comparison of the Venus grotto and the other attractions you mentioned. I deeply regret not having been able to see the Venus grotto myself while at Linderhof. But we were on a tight schedule (all day round-trip bus tour originating from Munich), and the tour was structured to spend more time at Neuschwanstein, where Ludwig tried to bring Wagner's operas to life. Many rooms are like sets from various Wagner operas.

I added some new artwork to an old post at the blog ("The Sťance Circle Part Two" Aug 2010). Professor Oddfellow posted it at one of his blogs recently, and I sorta borrowed it.
    Reminiscent of some exposure drawings of the Davenport Brothers' Spirit Cabinet. I always think of the Spiritualist craze while riding through Leota's Lair, and those like Houdini who tirelessly worked to reveal the quite natural mechanisms behind the seemingly supernatural wonders--the instruments flying and playing themselves, etc. Two wonderful books on the terrestrial mechanisms behind the magic are Jim Steinmeyer's Hiding the Elephant (the only book I'm aware of that devotes an entire chapter to history of the Pepper's Ghost illusion) and Ruth Brandon's The Spiritualists (nice illustrations of various Spirit Cabinet effects).

Incidentally, really enjoyed your LF blog post on the Haunted Mansion's Traveling Light effect. I'd only seen the coffee can scan effect in the Conservatory I believe. Didn't realize there was a pulley system where the light traveled from room to room. Hope it's functioning the next time I visit.

Would love to duplicate the effect when I haunt my home each Halloween. I created a simple shadow / silhouette effect in one window as follows--based on what I suspected the effect to be before I ever saw it at the HM. Turns out my version is nothing like Disney's. Don't think I've posted this here before. The effect went over very well with trick-or-treaters. I was amazed with what I could do with a gifted slow-RPM food rotator I never thought I'd find a use for, a strong LED flashlight, some wax paper over a window, and a cheap dollar store figurine:

Now wondering how I could accomplish the Traveling Light effect across all windows in the second story of my home, with walls obviously separating the rooms. However, I'm quite proud of the brown-out effect I achieved in 4 windows upstairs. $10 worth of parts and lots of extension cords. Low cost, high impact. Would like to synch the downstairs windows as well. Would just need more extension cords.

Do you, or does anyone else, have photos of the pulley mechanism for the Traveling Light effect?

One other effect I'm proud of--I certainly didn't invent it, but it's a Poor Man's "Flying Crank Ghost", illuminated with a blue LED flashlight and driven by an oscillating fan:

Interior:

Exterior:

And finally, and I may have already posted this, for under 20 bucks with off-the-shelf components bought from a Walgreen's during the Halloween season is my flying candelabra:

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

One other effect I'm proud of--I certainly didn't invent it, but it's a Poor Man's "Flying Crank Ghost", illuminated with a blue LED flashlight and driven by an oscillating fan:
    You're welcome. I believe I called my original version CheePo's Ghost.

Incidentally, really enjoyed your LF blog post on the Haunted Mansion's Traveling Light effect. I'd only seen the coffee can scan effect in the Conservatory I believe. Didn't realize there was a pulley system where the light traveled from room to room. Hope it's functioning the next time I visit.
    Do you, or does anyone else, have photos of the pulley mechanism for the Traveling Light effect?
    Nice props - your yard looks great! I like the shadow figure system you worked out, and the footprints are amazing. As to the "pulley system", I'm not sure what you're referring to; I could be wrong, but my understanding is that there are several individual traveling light projectors, one behind each window, and that the control system just activates each one in sequence on a timer of some sort. This is why sometimes the light would show up in some windows but not others - individual projectors would die and not get fixed.

• I do believe in fairies!

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    The WDW version is not called Phantom Manor, but just Haunted Mansion like the DL version

Thanks, I'll try to remember that the next time. I'm still learning here. I really appreciate everybody's patience
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Phantom Manor is Disneyland Paris' version of the Haunted Mansion. It has a fully fleshed-out story and is a vey different experience.
    You can read more about it here.
    DoomBuggies > Explore the history and marvel at the mystery of Disney's Haunted Mansion attractions!
    Thanks for the link. I'll add it to my ever growing list though I think I will probably be dead before I get through reading all of these blogs, threads and websites. LOL
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Phantom Manor is only at DLRP, its story is nothing like DLR's or WDW's (DLR and WDW have pretty much the same story, WDW just has some extra scenes). In general Phantom Manor is scarier than Haunted Mansion. If you like I can PM you the story of Phantom Manor, I dunno if posting it in this thread would take up too much posting space.

Phantom Manor's story is also connected to all of DLRP Frontierland's story too.

That would be great. Thanks I've watched some Youtube vids of it, but none of them have night vision so there are periods where it's totally dark and you can't see what's happening, but what I have seen of it, it appears to be very dark and gruesome. It's definitely not family friendly. I think little kids would be terrified. I think it's cool though.
    Last edited by Mountain Sprite; 06-26-2013 at 01:49 AM.

• Tickets please...

Phantom Manor isn't too scary, but yeah it is definitely more so than the Mansion. And its story is darker. I sent you the PM about it. We (meaning my friend and I who went to DLRP recently) actually have a night vision video of the Manor that my friend took. Its pretty good and quite clear (not so much near the beginning of the ride, that part is not easy to film, but the key scenes are there). Though didn't catch everything in the ballroom scene. Phantom Canyon came out great though... there's also a ride stop and slow down. I don't have it uploaded but might at some point, if you or anyone else here is interested I'll post it here.

Also have a vid of me explaining the story a bit in both the line and Boot Hill (we had to stop filming in the line area as it was getting pretty noisy). But I have an incredibly British accent.
    Last edited by Ezra; 06-26-2013 at 03:15 AM.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Phantom Manor isn't too scary, but yeah it is definitely more so than the Mansion. And its story is darker. I sent you the PM about it. We (meaning my friend and I who went to DLRP recently) actually have a night vision video of the Manor that my friend took. Its pretty good and quite clear (not so much near the beginning of the ride, that part is not easy to film, but the key scenes are there). Though didn't catch everything in the ballroom scene. Phantom Canyon came out great though... there's also a ride stop and slow down. I don't have it uploaded but might at some point, if you or anyone else here is interested I'll post it here.

Also have a vid of me explaining the story a bit in both the line and Boot Hill (we had to stop filming in the line area as it was getting pretty noisy). But I have an incredibly British accent.
    Love accents and would love to see the video.

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    You're welcome. I believe I called my original version CheePo's Ghost.
    A belated thanks and hats off to you. :-)

I'm too mechanically disinclined--"differently-abled" one might say--to build a proper Flying Crank Ghost. So I vacillated. Then oscillated--preferring a simpler way to animate a ghost. You could say I'm a "fan" of doing the least bit possible to achieve an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    Nice props - your yard looks great! I like the shadow figure system you worked out, and the footprints are amazing. As to the "pulley system", I'm not sure what you're referring to; I could be wrong, but my understanding is that there are several individual traveling light projectors, one behind each window, and that the control system just activates each one in sequence on a timer of some sort. This is why sometimes the light would show up in some windows but not others - individual projectors would die and not get fixed.
    Thanks CDW! Both parents and trick-or-treaters have given my yard haunt rave reviews. Then again, there's no competition in my neighborhood. Anyway, the feedback makes it well worth it.

I'd like to say I thought I read about pulleys on the LF blog post about the Haunted Mansion's Traveling Light effect. But don't want to blame it for my (likely) misremembering. When you say projector, do you mean the physical rotating "coffee can over a light" type? Or actual video projectors?

Wondering how and if I could easily achieve the same effect for my seasonal yard haunt. I like to introduce one new "wow!"-quality effect each year if I can. I have one 2500 lumens video projector that I use for the ghostly footsteps (directly inspired by the HM's re-haunting) and two cheap toyish Discovery Wonderwall projectors that I can use for close-up-to-a-window projections. Like an aging "Master Gracey" portrait, a Madame Leota loop, etc.

Lots of creative people here with much better effect building skills. Quiet now but really gets bustling as Halloween approaches. And lots of good Haunted Mansion-themed effects:

Halloween Props

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM