Page 475 of 618 FirstFirst ... 375425450465472473474475476477478485500525575 ... LastLast
Results 7,111 to 7,125 of 9262

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by mikeerdas View Post
    I'd like to say I thought I read about pulleys on the LF blog post about the Haunted Mansion's Traveling Light effect. But don't want to blame it for my (likely) misremembering.
    HBG2 can yell at me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there was anything in there about how exactly the "traveling" happens. The only thing he said on the matter suggests multiple lights: "By the early 90's only one window light was still working".

When you say projector, do you mean the physical rotating "coffee can over a light" type? Or actual video projectors?
    I mean the coffee can. No need for a video projector where a recyclable will do .

Wondering how and if I could easily achieve the same effect for my seasonal yard haunt. I like to introduce one new "wow!"-quality effect each year if I can. I have one 2500 lumens video projector that I use for the ghostly footsteps (directly inspired by the HM's re-haunting) and two cheap toyish Discovery Wonderwall projectors that I can use for close-up-to-a-window projections. Like an aging "Master Gracey" portrait, a Madame Leota loop, etc.
    I think it depends on what you mean by "easy". Based on the schematic HBG2 posted, it looks like the original worked by splitting the power to the rotation motor into two separate paths, one through a trigger relay, operated by the controller, and one through a stop switch, tripped by the can making a full rotation. The can starts with some part of it pushing down the stop switch, keeping the switch open and preventing power from reaching the motor. To start, you activate the trigger relay and supply power to the motor, so the can starts turning. The trigger relay then shuts off after a second or so. However, since the can was moving during that time, it has released the stop switch, so power is now flowing through that path and the motor keeps running. The projector makes its sweep across the window. Then, at some point past the window, once it's turned 360 degrees, the part of the can that sticks out catches the stop switch, cutting off power, and the whole system waits for the next input from the trigger relay. The controller could be as low-tech as a wheel with an arm on it that rides over a series of switches, activating the trigger relays of each window's projector in turn, or as high-tech as a microcontroller that sends power to the trigger relays on a timetable based on software. Which of those options is easier depends on your perspective, I guess.

You might be able to accomplish the same task with AC synchronous motors (like in old wired clocks) rotating each can, but it would be very fiddly to get the speed and timing right, and you'd be limited in how many windows you could do before the first can rotated back around and started putting its light through the window again. You could also use cheap video projectors, but you'd have to synchronize the playback; you might get away with just starting a looping video of the light going past on the first projector, then waiting a certain period, then starting the next, and so on, but that'll be fiddly to get right as well, and it might get pretty expensive depending on how many windows you're trying to do. Good luck!

• Evil is Sexy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I'd like to use a projector and some mechanics to have a ghost pull back a curtain, peer out the window and then fade out while the curtain falls back into place.

Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Tickets please...

Okay, if I get the Phantom Manor ride vid uploaded I'll post it here. There will probably be two versions, one more edited with the story explanation and the other just a normal POV.
    Last edited by Ezra; 06-26-2013 at 02:45 PM.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

A belated thanks and hats off to you. :-)

I'm too mechanically disinclined--"differently-abled" one might say--to build a proper Flying Crank Ghost. So I vacillated. Then oscillated--preferring a simpler way to animate a ghost. You could say I'm a "fan" of doing the least bit possible to achieve an effect.
    I used to be the same way but luckily I've grown out of it! I do happen to have a real FCG platform now, though sadly it kinda sits in a closet until I have my own place to do things. One year though I did remake it into a floating candelabra setup, just not using that 3rd pulley and line in the back for the head. It came out pretty awesome!

• Minion

For over a decade now, I've been wanting to re-create the Seance scene as a Halloween display. Never could find an affordable crystal globe that was about 16" in diameter or so. Finally gave up on the idea and sold off the digital projector I had for it.

Name:  Seance Pana-Vue Slide-XtraSmall.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  102.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    For over a decade now, I've been wanting to re-create the Seance scene as a Halloween display. Never could find an affordable crystal globe that was about 16" in diameter or so. Finally gave up on the idea and sold off the digital projector I had for it.
    Yeah, the globe is always the tough part, from what I've read. For future reference, if you ever decide to get back into the Madame Leota game, Gemmy makes a spirit ball prop that people have had good success with adapting, but those are hardly cheap themselves these days. If you're willing to settle for a mere 12", there are some more reasonable options out there.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    Yeah, the globe is always the tough part, from what I've read. For future reference, if you ever decide to get back into the Madame Leota game, Gemmy makes a spirit ball prop that people have had good success with adapting, but those are hardly cheap themselves these days. If you're willing to settle for a mere 12", there are some more reasonable options out there.
    The 12" globe is nice, but what would one use for the head inside? Too small to fit the typical styrofoam wig head.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    The 12" globe is nice, but what would one use for the head inside? Too small to fit the typical styrofoam wig head.
    True, it would be a bit of a tight fit. One of those "Glamor Head" girl's toys one sees around periodically, perhaps? But then Leota herself wouldn't be quite life-sized anymore...

Munchkin Leota?

"We represent the haunted house guild"?

This is not going down a good road. Sorry I couldn't be more help on the Leota ball question.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    True, it would be a bit of a tight fit. One of those "Glamor Head" girl's toys one sees around periodically, perhaps? But then Leota herself wouldn't be quite life-sized anymore...

Munchkin Leota?

"We represent the haunted house guild"?

This is not going down a good road. Sorry I couldn't be more help on the Leota ball question.

LOL! Must be heading down the Red Brick Road...

OK, so I shot lots of pictures inside and outside the Haunted Mansion over the past few days. Still on vacation, so I won't have a chance to develop things until I get back, but I used almost eight rolls. :O

Some is color (Ektar 100), some is black and white (Arista 100, 200), and I used three different cameras (Nikon F, Nikon FM-2n, Stereo Realist, for the camera geeks) so I should get a few good shots out of those rolls. Also, I'm hoping a number of those shots will be in 3D!!!

I tried to get pictures of the organist and the Hitchhiking Ghosts, in particular, but I also hopefully got some other things as well. Fortunately, we had lots of "wheelchair-slowdowns" so my lower shutter speeds could work better...

• Minion

You're still using film???

Of course! With film, I can (usually) get things that would be impossible using digital cameras, without post-processing in Photoshop or Lightroom. Also, the film I use (low-speed, ultrafine-grain) looks much like a digital image, except for the fact that all the colors are much more saturated. Digital, to my eye, looks flat and lifeless. I grew up during the digital camera age (I'm still in my early-20's) so it's not like I'm a dinosaur that never learned those new gadgets!

Also, all my cameras are film cameras, except for my point-and-shoot digital, so I'm kind of stuck with film. The Stereo Realist I'm using is similar to what Viewmaster used to use to make their 3d images - I tried one once and fell in love with film and the film-look.

(Also, those 8 rolls I took of the HM constituted about 1/4 of my film supply. They sure gave me strange looks when I went through bag-check, but I get those looks frequently with film cameras...)
    Last edited by ww12345; 06-27-2013 at 04:58 PM.

• Minion

I've made the switch to digital, and find the photos sharper and more detailed than film. My old photos just look grainy and blurry by comparison, especially where I've shot updated photos of the same subjects.

And regardless of whether it's film or digital, I still use PhotoShop to enhance them or correct them.

Yeah, depending on what film stock you are shooting on and the lens quality, film can definitely be less-awesome than digital. I found that out earlier this year when I was shooting on Kodak Ultra 400 that I bought in a Walgreens, on the Model-T of cameras, the Argus C-3. They turned out very "vintage" looking, but since I moved to lower-speed films, higher quality lenses, and SLRs instead of rangefinders, I've found my images look very respectable next to digital - more life to them, for lack of a better term.

Also, if you do your own film processing you can work with the grain to get the best quality image out of the negative. After I bought my own darkroom, I never looked back. What you can do with an enlarger and high-quality paper beats anything digital can touch. Also, if you've never tried medium or large format (2 1/2" x 2 1/2" -> 6" x 4 1/2") you don't know what you've been missing. Digital can really not touch those (yet) - when you are working with a negative that is half the size of a regular piece of paper you can pretty much eliminate any grain that the human eye can see...

Who did your film processing, when you used to have it done?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    Who did your film processing, when you used to have it done?
    Most of the time, the local drug store or one of those one-hour photo finishing places at a mall. Last time I was at WDW in 1997, I had it done at some little shop right there on Main Street.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM