Page 476 of 616 FirstFirst ... 376426451466473474475476477478479486501526576 ... LastLast
Results 7,126 to 7,140 of 9236

• Tickets please...

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    OK, so I shot lots of pictures inside and outside the Haunted Mansion over the past few days.
    Awesome! Its interesting you still use film. And thanks.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Well, rock on, ww12345! Using classic film to shoot a classic attraction. I will be interested to see how your pics compare to some digital shots of the same scenes. I'm a convert to a digital point and shoot because I am a super-clicker and love taking 50 shots of something, then picking the perfect one of the bunch. I am absolutely NOT a Photographer, just someone who takes pictures.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Most of the time, the local drug store or one of those one-hour photo finishing places at a mall. Last time I was at WDW in 1997, I had it done at some little shop right there on Main Street.
    Wow, I didn't even realize the photoshops at the park could process film. Very cool! Also very sad that little bit of realism is gone... The store you take the film to is the most important part - sometimes they leave it in the chemistry too long or they don't mix the chemistry right - that's actually what happened to the pic in my avatar; Walgreens boiled it and the whole roll (of a disposable camera) came out almost yellow and ultra grainy. When I corrected it back to normalish colors, it had a very vintage vibe to it. I didn't mind, but if it were pics I really cared about I would not have been happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Awesome! Its interesting you still use film. And thanks.
    No problem! Thanks for giving me some ideas on things to shoot. As soon as I get back home and get everything developed I'll post it up here. Probably I'll do all my color rolls first, as they are easier for me to do (I just make sure the machine is set up right and press the "on" button) and then I'll do the b/w (as I have to do those manually, the old-fashioned way with hand agitation, so it takes longer). Either way, I think you'll be happy with at least some of the pictures, provided my exposure settings were OK...

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Well, rock on, ww12345! Using classic film to shoot a classic attraction. I will be interested to see how your pics compare to some digital shots of the same scenes. I'm a convert to a digital point and shoot because I am a super-clicker and love taking 50 shots of something, then picking the perfect one of the bunch. I am absolutely NOT a Photographer, just someone who takes pictures.
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to that, too. In fact, I tried duplicating a scene I know I've seen digitally before - the stretching room at it's deepest. I like digital, but once you learn your way around a manual camera (with lots and lots of trial and error), either SLR or rangefinder, it just becomes second nature, like driving a manual transmission. I agree though - if I want a specific picture of something or I'm not sure how my film version will turn out, I don't mind duplicating it with a digital camera. They are very handy for that sort of thing. I really only use film for its artistic qualities...

Also, I think I may have gotten a few really good shots last night. I went on the Haunted Mansion as the last ride of the night, and had it virtually to myself. When we got to the graveyard, specifically the Headsman and the Prisoner scene, the Doombuggy stopped dead (no pun intended). I got my 3d camera out and tried a few different apertures and a few different shutter speeds, so with any luck we'll have cool, 3d pics of the opera singers and the Headsman and Prisoner tableau. Also, we full stopped again right at the HHG crypt, so I hopefully got some good pics there, too. Finally, I got some pics in 3d of the ghosts following us home - provided they all come out OK, there should be lots of good pics up here in about 4 or 5 days...

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I don't think Disneyland has offered actual photo processing (wet-chemicals on negative film, then printed and developed on sensitized paper) in several decades, if ever. I know WDW did because I used them once (and it was Not Cheap) but that was 1984-ish and Film is a dying thing.

Most of the photo processing done today is making prints and enlargements from digital cameras, developing 35MM film has dropped way off to the point where it almost doesn't make sense to fill the machine with chemicals for the day. And even then, all the Disney photo printing work in the parks is done with Inkjet and Dye-Sub color photo printers.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, Bruce. It seemed like it would be cost-prohibitive to do full-on darkroom prints/developing at Disneyland or WDW, but I guess WDW figured the tourists would go for it. What was the price for what you had done - do you remember?

Seeing as we are now sidetracked on a film vs. digital and a Disney photo process (sorry! ) I'll share something I found out yesterday which may be interesting to some people. I was set up on the bridge over between the Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain, and I guess attracted the attention of a Photo CM there, because he walked over and we had a really neat conversation about film, cameras, etc. Anyway, while we were talking, I asked what kind of camera he was shooting for the park (it was a really old digital Nikon SLR) and I asked what he thought of it. Apparently, it is not the greatest, but here's why that doesn't matter. Ever since Disney went "One Park" or whatever they call it, when the Disney photogs take a photo of you, it is taken in medium-size jpeg. From there, it is wirelessly uploaded to the Dland server, where it gets beamed across the country to WDW, where they have a bunch of people who sit there and look for inappropriate gestures, people breaking the rules in the background, and so on, and make any edits they need to, sending the file back here electronically. Then, it gets reuploaded to the DL server and is cleared for download all in approx 30 min. Whew! I figure this might be interesting to somebody else besides me...

I wonder what they do for ride photos? I was under the impression they had someone on this coast for that, but now I wonder...

Let's not forget that the HM itself has undergone the transition from motion picture to digital video projection!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Gee, let me dig out a 30-year-old credit card statement... It was double the average at the time, I remember grumbling at the Captive Audience prices. But it was a new camera, and I wanted to develop the first rolls as assurance before I got home with 12 rolls of blank (or white washed out) film.

(Really couldn't just run somewhere else - I was only 23 or 24, and while I was driving $80,000 Bucket Trucks at work, I wasn't allowed to drive the rental car. The Folks were busy at a trade show, I got dropped off.)

But Disneyland had a few places that were within walking distance at the time. IIRC there was a Thrifty Drug with a machine a few blocks south of Katella on Harbor... Okay, enough with the derail.

But then again... Hey, Holograms are Photography. Wonder if anyone's ever tried to reproduce the Hatbox Ghost Effect with a Hologram and make it convincing - that would be one way to get Old Hatty back in the surreal world.

Pepper's Ghost (horizontal or vertical) would work too, but I don't know if you could hide the setup properly in the far corner of the Attic - What's behind that point - Outside wall, or...?

It would almost have to be built in a big steel frame and slid in on a pallet pre-aligned, or they'd be down for months installing and fine-tuning it.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    But then again... Hey, Holograms are Photography. Wonder if anyone's ever tried to reproduce the Hatbox Ghost Effect with a Hologram and make it convincing - that would be one way to get Old Hatty back in the surreal world.
    If they'd built the HM a few years later they could have done it with the 70s-era plastic cylinder animated holograms (which the animation used for the fade up and down effect). There is one of Michael York's head in the movie Logan's Run at :45 into this clip:
    Logan's Run - No Sanctuary !! - YouTube

I remember seeing this type of hologram in museums at the time and a guy who made them was interviewed on Mike Douglas. They always looked kind of surreal and ethereal.

• Tickets please...

No problem! Thanks for giving me some ideas on things to shoot. As soon as I get back home and get everything developed I'll post it up here.
    Awesome, and no problem!

Also, we full stopped again right at the HHG crypt, so I hopefully got some good pics there, too. Finally, I got some pics in 3d of the ghosts following us home - provided they all come out OK, there should be lots of good pics up here in about 4 or 5 days...
    Ah I bet you've got some amazing pics of the ghosts! Thanks again!

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Pepper's Ghost (horizontal or vertical) would work too, but I don't know if you could hide the setup properly in the far corner of the Attic - What's behind that point - Outside wall, or...?

It would almost have to be built in a big steel frame and slid in on a pallet pre-aligned, or they'd be down for months installing and fine-tuning it.

--<< Bruce >>--
    From out of the dim and dusty past...

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

A few footnotes to that old proposal. As it stands, it has the disadvantage that any animation to the figure (like the trembling hand) would be difficult, if not impossible, because the two figures in the pit would have to be precisely synchronized.

What I would now do is put an actual figure on the spot where you think you see him, but only up to the shoulders, and with a hatbox painted black. The figures in the pit would be illumined only from the hatbox up, everything below fading out of the spotlight. The lighting would be adjusted so that the actual figure and the reflected ones blur together convincingly (which I don't think would be too difficult). That way you could have his cloak fluttering, hand moving, etc., all part of the actual figure upstairs.

It might even add an interesting ethereal quality to him if the motions DON'T synch up exactly. Picture it, the effect might almost suggest a weird visual reverberation. Kinda creepy.
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

I don't think that would work. You would have a situation in which with every heartbeat / head switch the hand on the cane (let's say) would suddenly be in a slightly different position. It would be herky-jerky, like a chopped-up, broken movie.

• I do believe in fairies!

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I don't think that would work. You would have a situation in which with every heartbeat / head switch the hand on the cane (let's say) would suddenly be in a slightly different position. It would be herky-jerky, like a chopped-up, broken movie.

Didn't they do something like that with The Grudge and The Ring? That choppy kind of motion really freaked me out. I couldn't go to bed with the light off for days after seeing those movies. Yep, I'm a scaredy cat.
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM