Page 479 of 721 FirstFirst ... 379429454469476477478479480481482489504529579 ... LastLast
Results 7,171 to 7,185 of 10809

• Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    The commercial films – like Main Street Electrical Parade (200' sound) and The Haunted Mansion (50' silent) souvenir films from the park – have faded badly to pink, while the home movies are still full color. *Sigh* Even at $100, it's more than I could afford right now...
    OMG! All of them have done that? I was worried that we had stored ours wrong or something else we did caused ours to go pink! The images are still very clear, though. It makes for an interesting view of the mansion

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Unfortunately, my 8mm film from 1977 was stored improperly and not only turned pink but brittle. When you try to remove it from the reel it breaks into 1-3 inch pieces. I'm going to try and scan the pieces and see if I can create a few good stills.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Luckily my HM Super 8 Reel was kept in its original plastic and has kept most of its color, though some reddening has occurred in spots. I have a full reel of Johnny Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet that is super bright and vibrant in color still.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The hourglass is actually a clichéd image found on lots of old tombstones and other funerary art. Check out some examples from the fabulous Farber Collection.

And I do mean fabulous. You can easily spend several hours looking through that huge and magnificent collection of photos of old tombstones.

Oh, wow. I have found my new distraction! Thanks for this!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    OMG! All of them have done that? I was worried that we had stored ours wrong or something else we did caused ours to go pink! The images are still very clear, though. It makes for an interesting view of the mansion
    It's a chemical defect that affected some (most?) color film manufactured in the 70's, a problem not realized at the time. The pictures turn magenta over time. It's not your fault.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Nope, like HBG2 says, it's a defect for 90% of color film printed from the '50s to the '70s on Eastman stock. It was a cheapish stock, and prints weren't designed to last a long time, so most of the time they didn't mind if it faded - you were only going to use it for a few years...

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
    Unfortunately, my 8mm film from 1977 was stored improperly and not only turned pink but brittle. When you try to remove it from the reel it breaks into 1-3 inch pieces. I'm going to try and scan the pieces and see if I can create a few good stills.
    There's a product called FilmRenew that will lubricate and maybe fix that reel - it's what we use at our archive. I would look into that; it's only about $20 or $30 for a decent amount which would do your film some good. Is it a home movie or a commercially available one?

• Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

So, does anyone know if that old commercial footage is available on VHS or DVD? The WDW film opened with an exterior shot of the WDW HM, but the ride footage was limited to scenes that were present in both HMs with the only obvious "tell" as to which park the film interiors were shot at being the wine glasses at the picnic in the graveyard scene.

Or, better yet, is any updated Disney-produced ride-through material available?

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

I don't think so, which is kind of sad. It would be neat to have a DVD with all of the WDI/WED test videos on it... The test vids they did of Pirates, HM, etc would make a killer DVD or BD.

• Minion

Most commercial film stock used cheap, vegetable-based dyes. Many theatrical films were also produced on similar stock, and generally start fading within the first year. (Most prints only lasted a few months, so they were generally worn out before they had a chance to fade.) Home movie film used metal-based dyes, which do not fade. Some commercial film prints also used these better dyes, and don't fade.

Apparently, they used a similar type of cheap film for the Pana-Vue slides sold at the parks. They have also faded to pink. This is one of mine. I was able to tweak the color with PhotoShop:

Name:  Seance Pana-Vue Slide-XtraSmall.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  102.2 KB
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 07-03-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    There's a product called FilmRenew that will lubricate and maybe fix that reel - it's what we use at our archive. I would look into that; it's only about $20 or $30 for a decent amount which would do your film some good. Is it a home movie or a commercially available one?
    Home movies. Most were taken in the early 70's. Besides having some film footage of my grandparents, there is footage of the POTC, HM, MTTNW and the Matterhorn when it was still hollow. I will definitely look into the filmrenew before I do any more with the old film. Thank You
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Yeah, let me know if you need some Filmrenew, or if you need help applying it. Heck, I'd even apply it for you, if you wanted, and didn't mind shipping the films to me.

• Member of Baxter's Army

We got another pic of the new Green Canopy outside the WDW Mansion (Not that it is much better than the last one.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    We got another pic of the new Green Canopy outside the WDW Mansion (Not that it is much better than the last one.
    I am going to try and make a photo request on Dateline Disney World to take a picture of the whole thing.

Noted that mikeerdas had posted some vids of his haunted home creations...wanted to get your opinions on my recent progress with my haunted project (admittedly, HIS creativity is done in full scale, so it's bound to look better, LOL......)

Thanks for your feedback in advance...

Very cool! Kind of a TOT vibe to it...

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM