Page 480 of 583 FirstFirst ... 380430455470477478479480481482483490505530580 ... LastLast
Results 7,186 to 7,200 of 8745

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

WOW...TOT? Really?

VERY kind...thank you...
    Karstens Creations - Original Art & Custom Dreams

http://www.karcreat.com

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Thanks again CDW. I'm mostly electro-mechanically illiterate. So I've posted to the HalloweenForum.com prop builder's section, linking back to this thread and other great resources like the LF blog post on the traveling light effect. Many creative halloween prop builders / HM aficionados there:

Lighting: Disney Haunted Mansion traveling light effect for Halloween

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    HBG2 can yell at me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there was anything in there about how exactly the "traveling" happens. The only thing he said on the matter suggests multiple lights: "By the early 90's only one window light was still working".

I mean the coffee can. No need for a video projector where a recyclable will do .

I think it depends on what you mean by "easy". Based on the schematic HBG2 posted, it looks like the original worked by splitting the power to the rotation motor into two separate paths, one through a trigger relay, operated by the controller, and one through a stop switch, tripped by the can making a full rotation. The can starts with some part of it pushing down the stop switch, keeping the switch open and preventing power from reaching the motor. To start, you activate the trigger relay and supply power to the motor, so the can starts turning. The trigger relay then shuts off after a second or so. However, since the can was moving during that time, it has released the stop switch, so power is now flowing through that path and the motor keeps running. The projector makes its sweep across the window. Then, at some point past the window, once it's turned 360 degrees, the part of the can that sticks out catches the stop switch, cutting off power, and the whole system waits for the next input from the trigger relay. The controller could be as low-tech as a wheel with an arm on it that rides over a series of switches, activating the trigger relays of each window's projector in turn, or as high-tech as a microcontroller that sends power to the trigger relays on a timetable based on software. Which of those options is easier depends on your perspective, I guess.

You might be able to accomplish the same task with AC synchronous motors (like in old wired clocks) rotating each can, but it would be very fiddly to get the speed and timing right, and you'd be limited in how many windows you could do before the first can rotated back around and started putting its light through the window again. You could also use cheap video projectors, but you'd have to synchronize the playback; you might get away with just starting a looping video of the light going past on the first projector, then waiting a certain period, then starting the next, and so on, but that'll be fiddly to get right as well, and it might get pretty expensive depending on how many windows you're trying to do. Good luck!

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

I'm generally not one for self-promotion, but I have a blog here at MiceChat. Today's post is the story of my first time on the WDW HM. That is the only reason I post it here. If you are interesetd in finding out why my screen name is Attic Haunt, head over and take a peek.

http://micechat.com/blogs/attic-haun...tic-haunt.html

If you stop by leave me a note. Like I say on my profile page, it's nice to know I'm not always writing for myself .

Carry on... nothing else to see here...

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    I'm generally not one for self-promotion, but I have a blog here at MiceChat. Today's post is the story of my first time on the WDW HM. That is the only reason I post it here. If you are interesetd in finding out why my screen name is Attic Haunt, head over and take a peek.

http://micechat.com/blogs/attic-haun...tic-haunt.html

If you stop by leave me a note. Like I say on my profile page, it's nice to know I'm not always writing for myself .

Carry on... nothing else to see here...
    You mention in your story that the year was 1976 and that you mention that you remember that the Bride figure had piercing eyes. I am just curious if you can specify which of the first two Bride figures pictured you remember seeing in 76.

I know that memory can be a tricky thing for such minor details but it might help us zero in or at least get a better estimation of exactly when Corpse Bride was replaced by round-eyes, in WDW at least.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

HMF, I'ver been asking myself that question since that picture went up the first time and a time line was estimated. I haven't chimed in on it because I am not 100% sure. I hate giving opinion in a thread so dedicated to fact.

That being said, when I first saw these pics of Beating Heart, I immediately gravitated toward Corpse Bride. This is how the Attic Bride lives in my memory, except I remember her eyes being round and bright, but not quite as bright as Middle Bride 1. If I remember right the above representation of CB is an artist's tweak. Perhaps CB's eyes were brighter than those in the pic? Does anyone remember seeing CB, either at DL or WDW?

If so and her eyes were brighter than in this pic... well, I would say that WDW had CB in 1976. If not, my memory has created a more corpse-like bride and WDW had MB 1 in 1976.

• Mr. Ghost

These pictures are not new by any means, but on my Facebook feed, I ran across this link via the Haunted Mansion Artwork page : Haunted Mansion Backstage tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    These pictures are not new by any means, but on my Facebook feed, I ran across this link via the Haunted Mansion Artwork page : Haunted Mansion Backstage tumblr
    That's a really great resource. Perfect place to have all the photographic documentation of the Mansion in one convenient spot. Great for future blogposts or Superposts on the thread.

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    In this video, it is quite clear that there are trees in the window behind the guy trying to get out of the casket. Is this in every mansion or just Tokyo?
    Wonderful video, by the way- I love that Tokyo Disneyland is basically a time capsule of Disneyland and WDW at their best with only the good changes being made (for example, TL still being in its pre-Jules Verne glory and the HM attic being Constance-free, while Tokyo Disneysea and Monster's Inc. are beautifully executed additions)
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

It seems that at some point between 1989 and 1990 at WDW several Attic props around the bride at WDW were re-arranged.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

I asked my father to look at the bride lineup above. (Look carefuly, sir. Are any of these women the one you saw hiding in the shadows? Take your time.) I told him nothing of my memories so I woudn't contaminate his.

He also hates to make statements of "fact" when they are speculation or best recollection. He said the only thing he knew for sure was that the Bride he remembered definitely did NOT have a big halo of flowers.

I think that combined with my memories would point to a high likelihood of CB being the Attic Bride of the WDW mansion in February 1976.

Visited Disneyland yesterday, so a quick Mansion report:

The old man by the mummy was still MIA. It's been what, at least a month and a half now?

Definitely saw some obstruction clipping on the bottom part of the ballroom banshees, but it wasn't too bad.

Ol' Blasty was still doing his thing, but only clearing about a foot over the crypt.

Lighting was pretty good throughout; during the day, no wires or ceiling panels were visible. Same couldn't be said for nighttime, but that's hard to avoid without dynamically changing the light levels, which I can understand they'd be wary of.

Omnimover speakers were way too loud - has this changed from how I remember things?

This photo of the Constance area is interesting

I think that the chair in the back is the one from the HBG photo . In most shots of the vignette the Wedding cake is between the bride and the portrait.
    http://davelandweb.com/hauntedmansio...c/DSC_0409.jpg

http://davelandweb.com/hauntedmansio...8/DSC_7803.jpg
    http://davelandweb.com/hauntedmansio...e/DSC_0391.jpg
    January 2013
    http://davelandweb.com/hauntedmansio...e/DSC_2285.jpg
    So can anyone put a date on the top photo. It would have to be 2007, 2009 or 2010 because all other years show the cake directly next to Connie. Might have been a one year HMH re-shuffling fluke.
    Last edited by HMF; 07-10-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    Omnimover speakers were way too loud - has this changed from how I remember things?
    It varies by DB. How many times did you ride? Did you note your DB numbers? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    It varies by DB. How many times did you ride? Did you note your DB numbers? ;-)
    Three. And no, I was too excited to take notes. Maybe next time - I'm all about the quantification . Whatever their numbers, the volume was pretty consistent among them, and in other people's as well, since I could frequently hear the narration from the adjacent omnimovers.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM