Page 483 of 559 FirstFirst ... 383433473480481482483484485486493533 ... LastLast
Results 7,231 to 7,245 of 8383

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I think my favorite bride is the one with the pitch black face and the glowing eyes. It looks as creepy as heck. I wish they would bring that one back to the attic.
    The upcoming, August post for the LF blog will float an entirely new theory as to WHY that particular version of Beating Heart is not only creepier and scarier, but somehow feels creepier and scarier in a different way than with your typical ghost. Sorta kinda.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I think this effect at the WDW HM is new.

• Minion

I don't think they are silhouettes as much as the jagged-cut edges of the "coffee can" as it rotates.

• I'm a Lutheran

HBG2, I literally cannot wait for your next blog installment, I literally check everyday, even if I know there aren't daily updates. Be proud of yourself, you've really created something special for us die hard HM fans. And, I'm a huge fan of the old bride, so next update will be a real treat for me especially. Thank you for creating it.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Mr. Ghost

I like the old attic, it marks the point where the ghosts start to get close and personal. Sure the COD and the Ballroom had ghosts, but they were behind doors and viewed at distance. The Attic pop ups and old Beating Heart are in your personal space. My memories of my '95 trip may be fuzzy, but the first attic pop up was really close, maybe about a foot and a half away, but maybe only in my memory, which makes makes it more terrifying to me. The new attic is jarring, too brightly lit. it takes the mystery away. I compare it to putting computer generated dinosaurs that are in color in the classic black and white King Kong.
    Last edited by Mr.Fenwright; 07-20-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: misspelling

I think what it came down to was the old attic was too scary between the creepy candle-toting figure in a dress with beating heart and pop-up/blast-up screaming ghouls. It was always the part of the ride that was unsettling since I was a kid. Those little screaming ghouls in all their relative simplicity were the scariest part of the ride. No surprise they were removed. The new attic is too bright. Just look at the reflection in the glass screwing up the illusion of the ballroom ghosts near the dueling guys. Yes, the current bride is a maniacal killer with a hatchet, but still. I can't help but feel she's now the princess of the Haunted Mansion.

But I have a question. At Magic Kingdom, the pop-up ghosts rise quickly and drop down slowly. Disneyland is the opposite. Which is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider
    But I have a question. At Magic Kingdom, the pop-up ghosts rise quickly and drop down slowly. Disneyland is the opposite. Which is correct?
    Disneyland's pop-ups are pathetic. The Magic Kingdom ones are "correct," since the whole point of the pop-ups is to startle you, which can't be achieved by rising up slowly like a turtle.

• I'm a Lutheran

I truly wish ours would pop-up like Florida's...I also wish they would scream in time with the music.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    Disneyland's pop-ups are pathetic. The Magic Kingdom ones are "correct," since the whole point of the pop-ups is to startle you, which can't be achieved by rising up slowly like a turtle.
    They need new rubber bands or something.

I think GG is right about the WDW windows in that video. It seems like they put too bright a light in them, so the edges of the holes in the cans are too crisply silhouetted. It would be better as a dim, blurry light, IMO.

In another thread there are links to Disney Channel shows from 1996 about Disneyland. Of particular interest here would be the Halloween episode that features two Haunted Mansion segments. The first, starting at 5:30, includes interior and exterior shots and an interview with Maynard (whom I've never seen as a HM CM but is constantly mentioned in other threads). The second, starting at 11:05, is the real gem with an interview with Thurl Ravenscroft in front of the pet cemetery. (Not to mention that it's mind boggling to think of a Halloween season that actually included the Mansion in its traditional form.)

Disneyland Inside Out Halloween Episode - YouTube

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    Those little screaming ghouls in all their relative simplicity were the scariest part of the ride. No surprise they were removed.
    Really? I never found them to be scary at all, particularly since they could be heard as soon the Doombuggies left the Seance scene, and were extremely loud by the end of the Ballroom, so I was anticipating something of that nature before reaching the attic. Even the hiss of the pneumatic mechanisms could be heard well ahead of the scene. To me, the creepiest/scariest part of the attic was the original bride, even though I knew she would be there from the record album's description of the scene. However, in later years, I found the Smurfette bride to be so odd she was laughable.

• Tickets please...

The attic scene isn't scary anymore. Of course I actually haven't been on the Mansion with the Constance update, but from what I can tell its very toned down from what it was. The original attic scene was intense and mysterious. I'm sure the scene is still good, but I think they should at least return the blast-ups. Actually just listening to the soundtrack of the old attic scene is scary.
    Last edited by Ezra; 07-21-2013 at 07:50 AM.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

• I'm a Lutheran

As a kid, I remember specifically going on HM and being terrified of the attic pop-ups. Even when Constance was added, I always kept an eye out, making sure they weren't there anymore. Even though they aren't there, I still get chills just thinking of them being there.

I'm assuming their "holes" and mechanisms are still there; the HMH jack-in-the-boxes still take up residence during the holidays. Even then, they don't pop-up like they're supposed to. Take a look at how fast they pop-up in Tokyo's HMH.

Skip to 7:29 and 7:41.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    I'm assuming their "holes" and mechanisms are still there; the HMH jack-in-the-boxes still take up residence during the holidays. .
    The Pop-Up Mechanisms are indeed still there and are used during HMH.

Q: How fast were the attic stick-head popups in the beginning?
    A: Not much different than they were at the end.

You can see one at about 2:55 in this video of the attic in 1974.

Sandy Duncan Haunted Mansion Skit - YouTube

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM