Page 484 of 726 FirstFirst ... 384434459474481482483484485486487494509534584 ... LastLast
Results 7,246 to 7,260 of 10888

• We Go On.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Didn't somebody once detail how the pop-up ghoul mechanisms differ from coast to coast?

• I'm a Lutheran

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

From what I've seen, Disneyland's are slow-moving as of late, Florida's are on-and-off right, and Tokyo's are always working correctly. EVERYTHING in Tokyo's HM is working correctly. I wish I could go.
    "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    HBG2, I literally cannot wait for your next blog installment, I literally check everyday, even if I know there aren't daily updates. Be proud of yourself, you've really created something special for us die hard HM fans. And, I'm a huge fan of the old bride, so next update will be a real treat for me especially. Thank you for creating it.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Didn't somebody once detail how the pop-up ghoul mechanisms differ from coast to coast?
    Not that I can recall, but I'm getting old.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

This is undoubtedly retreading old ground for readerd of this thread and of HBG2's blog, but I ran across a couple articles I thought I'd share on why midcentury Americans thought of haunted houses as being in the Vitorian style.

Why We Imagine Haunted Houses in Victorian Style - JasonColavito.com

http://www.the-looking-glass.net/ind...ewFile/171/170

http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/vi..._pubs#page=154

• Tickets please...

New Mansion shirt going to be on sale for a limited time on the Disney Store, Hatbox Ghost themed;

Make Room for One More Haunted Mansion Shirt Coming to the Disney Parks Online Store « Disney Parks Blog

Though I won't be able to buy it as folks in the UK can't buy from the US store.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    New Mansion shirt going to be on sale for a limited time on the Disney Store, Hatbox Ghost themed;

Make Room for One More Haunted Mansion Shirt Coming to the Disney Parks Online Store « Disney Parks Blog

Though I won't be able to buy it as folks in the UK can't buy from the US store.
    Fantastic! I'm so glad they went with the Story and Song artwork!

Name:  HTS273943LARGE.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  144.3 KB

• Member of Baxter's Army

Something from the DL Attic I never noticed before
    Note the black umbrella not too far from the Pop-up in this photo circa Late 90s/Early 00s.

Now residing behind the stool in the Frank tableau

• Tickets please...

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Fantastic! I'm so glad they went with the Story and Song artwork!

Name:  HTS273943LARGE.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  144.3 KB
    I know! Hattie looks so cute in that artwork. lol!

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

Apropos of not much...

In the early years of the 20th century, some people were horrified at how fast these new fangled horseless carriages moved, and they thought they were dangerous enough to be viewed as something eerie, something supernaturally creepy and diabolical. As we have noted previously, this provides us with an explanation for a painting hung on the wall in our beloved Cabaret du Nant...

Since then, we've found a parallel treatment in Punch, 1903:

So much for review. Now get a load of how Puck magazine handled the same theme in 1910. That's some awesome artwork there, and that's my excuse for posting it.

I know this is a bit off topic (well, it DOES pertain to the HM, anyway), but I just learned today while browsing for HM related articles online that when the attraction first opened in 69, it was met mostly with DISAPPOINTMENT by most reviewers and guests...

This literally blows MY MIND...really??! HOW could folks back then be 'disappointed' with something we all know, love, and TREASURE to this day?

Was it due to ridiculously high expectations or something, do you think? I simply cannot fathom how anyone would not fall in LOVE with every aspect of this legendary dark ride...it set the STANDARD for haunt themed attractions...

Color me confused, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by karcreat View Post
    I know this is a bit off topic (well, it DOES pertain to the HM, anyway), but I just learned today while browsing for HM related articles online that when the attraction first opened in 69, it was met mostly with DISAPPOINTMENT by most reviewers and guests...

This literally blows MY MIND...really??! HOW could folks back then be 'disappointed' with something we all know, love, and TREASURE to this day?

Was it due to ridiculously high expectations or something, do you think? I simply cannot fathom how anyone would not fall in LOVE with every aspect of this legendary dark ride...it set the STANDARD for haunt themed attractions...

Color me confused, I guess...
    Well, HERE'S my answer, take it or leave it.

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Apropos of not much...

In the early years of the 20th century, some people were horrified at how fast these new fangled horseless carriages moved, and they thought they were dangerous enough to be viewed as something eerie, something supernaturally creepy and diabolical. As we have noted previously, this provides us with an explanation for a painting hung on the wall in our beloved Cabaret du Nant...

Since then, we've found a parallel treatment in Punch, 1903:

So much for review. Now get a load of how Puck magazine handled the same theme in 1910. That's some awesome artwork there, and that's my excuse for posting it.

I can't help but remember a quote from Dracula, "Fur denn Toten reiten schnell" or the dead travel fast... which in a way connects to the appearance of the ghost right after Mme. Leota's seance as they hearse that arrived so quickly that it spilled its cargo is by the door of the grand hall.
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

(Can you imagine trying to do a blog like this for Space Mountain?)
    LOL...VERY true...and THANK YOU for the link...great blog post, as they always are, HBG2...

I should mention, however, as I have heard this many times before:

The entire show was no bigger than Pirates—in fact, it was smaller—and the AA figures were no more sophisticated—in fact, they were less.
    ...I have always found this 'complaint' to be rather short sighted, regarding the differences between what we see in POTC and the HM...the POTC is supposed to represent REAL PEOPLE (and I have NEVER considered the animatronics in the attraction very convincing in that respect...if anything, POTC is the 'let down' in this regard)...whereas the HM denizens are all the UNDEAD, other worldly...the fact that they move in a creepy, stiff way BENEFITS the over all look of them...at least for me, it always playing INTO making them work BETTER...

MY two cents, anyway...take it or leave it...
    Last edited by karcreat; 07-23-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Yep, rendering ghosts does have its advantages. The "Leota effect" works great for ghosts because the faces have an unnatural glow about them. If you tried to use that effect with ordinary, living characters, they would look creepy as hell.

• Mr. Ghost

HBG2 was right in his post about WDI only being able to outdo themselves for so long. Sooner or later there will be a ceiling of creativity. An example I can cite is my Halloween setups, for year after year, I had tried to top myself. I have to say my golden years were from 2000 to 2005. A couple of years I was not on my game. But I really built some good stuff after seeing Haunted Mansion Fansites in 2003.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM