Page 484 of 726 FirstFirst ... 384434459474481482483484485486487494509534584 ... LastLast
Results 7,246 to 7,260 of 10888
  1. #7246

    • We Go On.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,793

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Didn't somebody once detail how the pop-up ghoul mechanisms differ from coast to coast?

  2. #7247

    • I'm a Lutheran
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    From what I've seen, Disneyland's are slow-moving as of late, Florida's are on-and-off right, and Tokyo's are always working correctly. EVERYTHING in Tokyo's HM is working correctly. I wish I could go.
    "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

  3. #7248

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,900

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    HBG2, I literally cannot wait for your next blog installment, I literally check everyday, even if I know there aren't daily updates. Be proud of yourself, you've really created something special for us die hard HM fans. And, I'm a huge fan of the old bride, so next update will be a real treat for me especially. Thank you for creating it.
    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Didn't somebody once detail how the pop-up ghoul mechanisms differ from coast to coast?
    Not that I can recall, but I'm getting old.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  4. #7249

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,504

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    This is undoubtedly retreading old ground for readerd of this thread and of HBG2's blog, but I ran across a couple articles I thought I'd share on why midcentury Americans thought of haunted houses as being in the Vitorian style.

    Why We Imagine Haunted Houses in Victorian Style - JasonColavito.com

    http://www.the-looking-glass.net/ind...ewFile/171/170

    http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/vi..._pubs#page=154

  5. #7250

    • Tickets please...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Phantom Canyon Depot
    Posts
    89

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    New Mansion shirt going to be on sale for a limited time on the Disney Store, Hatbox Ghost themed;

    Make Room for One More Haunted Mansion Shirt Coming to the Disney Parks Online Store « Disney Parks Blog

    Though I won't be able to buy it as folks in the UK can't buy from the US store.

    That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

  6. #7251

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Middle River, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    1,579

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    New Mansion shirt going to be on sale for a limited time on the Disney Store, Hatbox Ghost themed;

    Make Room for One More Haunted Mansion Shirt Coming to the Disney Parks Online Store « Disney Parks Blog

    Though I won't be able to buy it as folks in the UK can't buy from the US store.
    Fantastic! I'm so glad they went with the Story and Song artwork!

    Name:  HTS273943LARGE.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  144.3 KB

  7. #7252

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,407

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Something from the DL Attic I never noticed before
    Note the black umbrella not too far from the Pop-up in this photo circa Late 90s/Early 00s.

    Now residing behind the stool in the Frank tableau

  8. #7253

    • Tickets please...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Phantom Canyon Depot
    Posts
    89

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Fantastic! I'm so glad they went with the Story and Song artwork!

    Name:  HTS273943LARGE.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  144.3 KB
    I know! Hattie looks so cute in that artwork. lol!

    That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

  9. #7254

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,900

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Apropos of not much...

    In the early years of the 20th century, some people were horrified at how fast these new fangled horseless carriages moved, and they thought they were dangerous enough to be viewed as something eerie, something supernaturally creepy and diabolical. As we have noted previously, this provides us with an explanation for a painting hung on the wall in our beloved Cabaret du Nant...



    Since then, we've found a parallel treatment in Punch, 1903:



    So much for review. Now get a load of how Puck magazine handled the same theme in 1910. That's some awesome artwork there, and that's my excuse for posting it.

    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  10. #7255

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, United States
    Posts
    222

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    I know this is a bit off topic (well, it DOES pertain to the HM, anyway), but I just learned today while browsing for HM related articles online that when the attraction first opened in 69, it was met mostly with DISAPPOINTMENT by most reviewers and guests...

    This literally blows MY MIND...really??! HOW could folks back then be 'disappointed' with something we all know, love, and TREASURE to this day?

    Was it due to ridiculously high expectations or something, do you think? I simply cannot fathom how anyone would not fall in LOVE with every aspect of this legendary dark ride...it set the STANDARD for haunt themed attractions...

    Color me confused, I guess...



  11. #7256

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,900

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by karcreat View Post
    I know this is a bit off topic (well, it DOES pertain to the HM, anyway), but I just learned today while browsing for HM related articles online that when the attraction first opened in 69, it was met mostly with DISAPPOINTMENT by most reviewers and guests...

    This literally blows MY MIND...really??! HOW could folks back then be 'disappointed' with something we all know, love, and TREASURE to this day?

    Was it due to ridiculously high expectations or something, do you think? I simply cannot fathom how anyone would not fall in LOVE with every aspect of this legendary dark ride...it set the STANDARD for haunt themed attractions...

    Color me confused, I guess...
    Well, HERE'S my answer, take it or leave it.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  12. #7257

    • The Steampunk Dread Baron
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    309

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Apropos of not much...

    In the early years of the 20th century, some people were horrified at how fast these new fangled horseless carriages moved, and they thought they were dangerous enough to be viewed as something eerie, something supernaturally creepy and diabolical. As we have noted previously, this provides us with an explanation for a painting hung on the wall in our beloved Cabaret du Nant...



    Since then, we've found a parallel treatment in Punch, 1903:



    So much for review. Now get a load of how Puck magazine handled the same theme in 1910. That's some awesome artwork there, and that's my excuse for posting it.


    I can't help but remember a quote from Dracula, "Fur denn Toten reiten schnell" or the dead travel fast... which in a way connects to the appearance of the ghost right after Mme. Leota's seance as they hearse that arrived so quickly that it spilled its cargo is by the door of the grand hall.
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

  13. #7258

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, United States
    Posts
    222

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    (Can you imagine trying to do a blog like this for Space Mountain?)
    LOL...VERY true...and THANK YOU for the link...great blog post, as they always are, HBG2...

    I should mention, however, as I have heard this many times before:

    The entire show was no bigger than Pirates—in fact, it was smaller—and the AA figures were no more sophisticated—in fact, they were less.
    ...I have always found this 'complaint' to be rather short sighted, regarding the differences between what we see in POTC and the HM...the POTC is supposed to represent REAL PEOPLE (and I have NEVER considered the animatronics in the attraction very convincing in that respect...if anything, POTC is the 'let down' in this regard)...whereas the HM denizens are all the UNDEAD, other worldly...the fact that they move in a creepy, stiff way BENEFITS the over all look of them...at least for me, it always playing INTO making them work BETTER...

    MY two cents, anyway...take it or leave it...
    Last edited by karcreat; 07-23-2013 at 10:18 PM.



  14. #7259

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,900

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Yep, rendering ghosts does have its advantages. The "Leota effect" works great for ghosts because the faces have an unnatural glow about them. If you tried to use that effect with ordinary, living characters, they would look creepy as hell.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  15. #7260

    • Mr. Ghost
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    A Ghost Town in The Old west
    Posts
    411

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    HBG2 was right in his post about WDI only being able to outdo themselves for so long. Sooner or later there will be a ceiling of creativity. An example I can cite is my Halloween setups, for year after year, I had tried to top myself. I have to say my golden years were from 2000 to 2005. A couple of years I was not on my game. But I really built some good stuff after seeing Haunted Mansion Fansites in 2003.

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5
    By CaitlinMcFly in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2077
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 02:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2011
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
  3. Replies: 2544
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •