Page 485 of 596 FirstFirst ... 385435460475482483484485486487488495510535585 ... LastLast
Results 7,261 to 7,275 of 8933

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Often enough the ceiling isn't a lack of creativity so much as a ceiling of cost and/or technological possibility.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Yep, rendering ghosts does have its advantages. The "Leota effect" works great for ghosts because the faces have an unnatural glow about them. If you tried to use that effect with ordinary, living characters, they would look creepy as hell.

I've actually seen that done. It doesn't seem much different than a projection on a head form. The shape of the person's head is different, but otherwise looks about the same level of creepiness...

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    I've actually seen that done. It doesn't seem much different than a projection on a head form. The shape of the person's head is different, but otherwise looks about the same level of creepiness...
    Now THAT was scary!

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Mr. Fenwright, from what I have seen, you NEVER fail to impress...your work is outstanding...
    Karstens Creations - Original Art & Custom Dreams

http://www.karcreat.com

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

A couple Mansion-related developments from the Facebook-verse...

First, pictures are FINALLY surfacing of the short-lived Haunted Mansion shop in WDW, with pictures of the inside coming soon.
    Via Widen Your World:

Second, the Servants Only sign is available from Theme Park Connection, if you're into that kind of thing.
    Last edited by Ukulele Guy; 07-26-2013 at 09:37 AM.
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

Ok it's taken many hours to read all seven threads. I have found the discussions very interesting. I have only been to Disneyland once for two days 22 years ago. I got to ride hm only once. The only thing I remember is my mum (rip) loved it. Back in January I got to go to EuroDisney and rode the pm three times . On Tuesday we fly from Australia to California. We have a ten day pass. So I really want to ride hm several times. I'm really excited about this trip. It's going to be awesome. Thanks for all the info

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Guy View Post
    A couple Mansion-related developments from the Facebook-verse...

First, pictures are FINALLY surfacing of the short-lived Haunted Mansion shop in WDW, with pictures of the inside coming soon.
    Via Widen Your World:

Second, the Servants Only sign is available from Theme Park Connection, if you're into that kind of thing.

The short lived store was called Ichabod's Landing. As you can see in the photo, the merchandise cast member is wearing a Butler costume. Up until the early 2000's, they allowed the CM's in Merchandise to wear the Servants outfits but got changed out due to a lack of available costumes for the ones that actually need to have them.

Secondly, the sign from Theme Park Connection is pretty nice. I live down the road from them and I've seen it in person. They get a lot of great stuff in, including Mansion.

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
    Ok it's taken many hours to read all seven threads. I have found the discussions very interesting. I have only been to Disneyland once for two days 22 years ago. I got to ride hm only once. The only thing I remember is my mum (rip) loved it. Back in January I got to go to EuroDisney and rode the pm three times . On Tuesday we fly from Australia to California. We have a ten day pass. So I really want to ride hm several times. I'm really excited about this trip. It's going to be awesome. Thanks for all the info
    Me, the husband and his extended family will be there Wednesday and Thursday. If you see the lady with the brown, red, orange and yellow hair (Think of a sunset) feel free to say hello.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

So I really want to ride hm several times.
    I'll volunteer some riding tips and things to look out for.

Day vs. Night/Time of day:
    Riding the Mansion is a different experience during the day and night and, as a Mansion fan, you will probably want to experience both. During the day your eyes will be accustomed to the outside brightness and take much longer to adjust to the dark so it will be a darker, more mysterious experience (particularly the seance room). Riding at night allows you to see more, which has its advantages and disadvantages (particularly the seance room). Riding first thing in the morning (or as early as you can get your group there) will guarantee a light crowd, less line, if any, and less chance of phones or light-up souvenirs inappropriately brightening up dark areas. If you're riding at night during the fireworks you will hear explosions while on the ride, but you should watch the fireworks (and they're *amazing* from the Toontown gate, but that would be a different thread) not ride the HM at that time. You should also see Fantasmic! at least once, which is performed right in front of the Mansion and when it ends a crowd tends to descend on the Mansion.

Waiting in line:
    If there's a line, when you get to the point where it turns left and the line splits, take the right side. It seems to move faster and you can get a better look at the pet cemetery. Win/win. Of course, if it's night look for the traveling light in the second floor windows, if it's still operational (have we determined this?).

Seeing all of the show:
    On most rides you'll experience everything by default but this isn't always the case with the Mansion. The foyer audio beginning with "When hinges creak" is often started as guests are still entering the room and is often missed. Also, unless you're among the first to enter the room past the foyer when the automatic doors open you'll miss "Welcome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion." Who wants to miss that? This is another reason to ride early with a lighter crowd at least once.

The changing portraits hall:
    Right after people get out of the stretching gallery they tend to rush directly to the load area but I think this is a mistake. This is one of the few places in the Mansion where you can take your own time to see its "charms" -- the changing portraits, the wall carvings, the stormy windows, etc. As mentioned elsewhere on this thread if you're last and the crowd disappears around the corner in front of you then you can be left "on your own" in the Mansion. Furthermore, if everyone has boarded the ride and progressed far enough when you get to the boarding platform you can go through the entire ride without seeing another living soul. Mwahaha.

Somehow I always missed the ghost host's portrait in the Corridor of Doors until recently so you might want to keep a watch to your right as you're traveling backwards. He's the painting of the tall ghoulish man holding an axe with a noose around his neck.

Take in as much of the ballroom as possible, but if anything makes multiple Mansion rides necessary it's the brevity of this scene which has so much going on for the 30 seconds or so you're allowed to see it.

At the exit when you step off onto the speedramp take a look behind the barricade to the broken crypts. I always enjoy the creepiness of the broken stonework and piled dirt. Is it grave robbing or has something broken out?

And, of course, at the exit turnstile listen for the hearty laughter, one of my personal favorite HM effects.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Welcome to the thread!

The tips from bigcatrik are great! I hope you have fun (and manage to run into WildeNight while you are at it). Looking forward to reading a trip report from you.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

One more tip: If you get there early and there's no crowd, you can also dawdle on the speed ramp (escalator) at the end. If there's no one behind you, you can slowly walk backwards on it and remain in place in front of Little Leota for about as long as you want. It's a real treat if you and she are the only ones there. It's one of the most perfect little tableaux the Imagineers ever concocted, IMO.

Thank you for all the tips. I'm sure they will be slightly more valuable to my friends than me. I say that because my pupils are fixed so they don't adjust to light. So dark is always darker for me and vice versa light is very bright for me. So I can get headaches from fluros or too much light. It sucks but hey you deal with it. Additionally I'm in a chair part times mostly as I can't stand for long and can't do long distances. So I have been reading up. At Eurodisney it meant a lot of line cutting and hardly any wait!

Sorry my iPad froze, so it's a second post. I will look for you Wildenight. I am easy to spot being in the chair with a not quite right Australian accent along with tattoos on my arms (Welsh flag, scooby doo, Glinda, the wicked witch of the west, stars and a cat). I hope we run into each other.
    thank you for the welcome to the thread and especially the tips xxxx

I didn't even know chairs had accents. I am so behind the technology.

Well you learn new things everyday so since I will be riding soon am I supposed to report back?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM