Page 489 of 608 FirstFirst ... 389439464479486487488489490491492499514539589 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,335 of 9106

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendtheAtom View Post
    Also, he ballroom scene's sound was WAY low and the pepper's ghost (or their respective rotating platforms) were squeaking über loud, all 3 times I rode. Come on Carlos, don't be SQUEAKKIN < / pun >
    I actually saw one of the platforms broken down tonight for the first time in my life. Stationary dancers, then very slow dancers on the next ride.

I think the attic junk around the Hat Box Ghost's spot has been shifted around. Is this a normal occurrence?

• Tickets please...

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by karcreat View Post

This is EXACTLY why it is the best version, IMHO...a ghost/haunt themed story should NOT 'fill in the blanks', but be vague and make you use your imagination, come up w/ your own reason for what you see...the unknown is a cornerstone to a great creepy experience...
    Phantom Manor doesn't fill in the blanks at all, in fact its bloody confusing. The Manor does have a backstory, yes... but there's still a lot of different theories about it. And what is actually going on in the ride? Everyone seems to have their own theory about that too... including myself. But it would take a while to write up all my thoughts on the Manor's story.

I kinda think of the Mansion and Manor as being swapped. With the Mansion we don't know the backstory of these characters really (except Constance but she was a later addition), but we do know what's going on during the ride. With the Manor we know the backstory... but we are not sure EXACTLY what is truly going on during the ride.... but actually that might be because no one seems to agree on a specific answer to it. I still stick by my own theories on it though.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

• Minion

Looks like Marvel's planning a Museum of the Weird comic

Find Out What's WEIRD at D23 This Weekend | News | Marvel.com

Name:  detail.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  23.5 KB
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

I found something interesting on Youtube. It's a POV through the Disneyland Mansion using an infrared camera (or close to infrared). It's clearer than most 'low light' cameras. Spoiler alert, the camera sees very well in the dark and it gives away some of the mystery. You can see the scrims very clearly. Here's the link:
    Haunted Mansion - Night Vision (HD POV : Full Ride & Queue) - Disneyland Resort California - YouTube
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I inserted the link incorrectly. Try again.

That's a great video - I had just recently been thinking that it would be awesome to go through the mansion with an bright active IR camera like that. I'd imagine you'd have to clear it with a cast member, though. Now he just needs to go through a few more times so we can finally get a really good picture of Ol' Blasty .

In the youtube comments he mentions that he uses active IR since it doesn't bother other riders (they can't see it). Notice that the IR camera also picks up IR lights used by the mansions cameras and sensors. If you check the youtube site, the videographer took the IR camera to the PotC, Space Mtn, Snow White, and Pinocchio. Hope he does more. In the PotC it's easy to see the gator in the bayou. I didn't know that was there.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    I actually saw one of the platforms broken down tonight for the first time in my life. Stationary dancers, then very slow dancers on the next ride.

I think the attic junk around the Hat Box Ghost's spot has been shifted around. Is this a normal occurrence?
    Yes that area has it's props shuffled around frequently to accommodate The Snake in HMH. It also leaves a perfect spot for if/when HBG re-appears. Judging by that youtube video, Constance looks awful, hopefully they can get the WDW model after HMH.
    Last edited by HMF; 08-05-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
    In the youtube comments he mentions that he uses active IR since it doesn't bother other riders (they can't see it). Notice that the IR camera also picks up IR lights used by the mansions cameras and sensors.
    I wasn't worried about the other riders - to the CM watching the video monitors, that IR illuminator is going to look a lot like a regular flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Judging by that youtube video, Constance looks awful, hopefully they can get the WDW model after HMH.
    In fairness, any projection effect is going to suffer under that camera, since a lot of the light it's picking up is the reflected IR from the camera's illuminator - the projected images have a tough time competing.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Reading a book called "The Thinking fans guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom and the author shockingly criticizes X. Atencio for not creating a linear Narrative/Backstory for the Haunted Mansion and only leaving hints and such and using the Ghostly Retirement Home premise to explain everything. The author I am sure believes and expects everything to follow the "Myth of Story" Model that modern WDI likes to apply to everything these days. Author also calls PLQ "Amazingly detailed".
    Last edited by HMF; 08-05-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Truthfully, the vagueness is one of the things I *like* about our Mansion. I dislike this latest trend of everything having a distinct, laid-out storyline with no room for imagination of the guest.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Truthfully, the vagueness is one of the things I *like* about our Mansion. I dislike this latest trend of everything having a distinct, laid-out storyline with no room for imagination of the guest.
    This. Marc Davis did call it an "experience ride" after all.

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Reading a book called "The Thinking fans guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom and the author shockingly criticizes X. Atencio for not creating a linear Narrative/Backstory for the Haunted Mansion and only leaving hints and such and using the Ghostly Retirement Home premise to explain everything. The author I am sure believes and expects everything to follow the "Myth of Story" Model that modern WDI likes to apply to everything these days. Author also calls PLQ "Amazingly detailed".
    Well the book is for Thinking Fans, not Thinking Authors, apparently.

• Minion

As an overall Disney property from the ride to the spinoffs, I think the ride's vagueness gives the Mansion a ghost story appeal that while it's been a consistent vague notion since early development that the House's current state of mass hauntings might be rooted in a marriage gone wrong, the details keep changing whenever that idea is explored.

It's like Hookhand, but when Little Robbie Minkoff decided to tell his version, he thought it was funny when he reveals that it's Eddie Murphy scratching the side of the car but everyone else at the campfire just groans and starts throwing melted marshmallows at him.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

The Haunted Mansion is the ultimate thinking man's attraction.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM