Page 49 of 599 FirstFirst ... 243946474849505152597499149549 ... LastLast

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    As negative as I'm being, I do love the HBG artwork!

Oh good Gracey! I'm trying to remain healthily skeptical here, but I do love that piece of art!

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    I think CGI/special effects is the way to go, but I could imagine Hatbox speaking with Walken's voice, or failing that, Keith David...
    Voices can be dubbed. I think Walken would look good with prothetics and/or digital enhancement, because he is old, odd, googly and gangly. Another choice of mine is Brad Dourif, although he's rather short.

Just, please God, NOT that rubber-faced ham, Jim Carrey!!! The only time he can act is when Larry Moss (his coach) is on set with him to breathe down his neck.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I'd support Brad Dourif = Hatbox Ghost.

Or Steve Buscemi, but then, he's more "serial killer" creepy than "ghost" creepy.

• Minion

Amazing how many actors have been mentioned that I've never heard of before! I have to admit however that I have not actually been to the movies since November of 2003. Betcha can't guess what movie that was!

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    I think the only way to accomplish having HBG look like the original is to go with CGI rather than a costumed actor. Live people just aren't built right for the part!
    First of all, and this is more of a clarification note, it has not been announced that Del Toro is directing. He, at the moment, is only writing and producing, but for something like this film, it's extremely likely that he will be asked to direct as well due to not only his talent, but the feel he gives his films that would be more than appropriate here, and because his American following would be big enough on its own to bring people in.
    Second, Del Toro is known for his use of puppetry over CG for central figures or images in a film. If he were to direct, there is a good chance that a figure like the HBG--if he is seen at all in the film, we have no idea about the plot--would be an actor in heavy prosthetics and touched up with CG in post. Does the prospect of a non-CG HBG sound scary to you? Consider the following: the creature known as the Angel of Death in Hellboy 2 is done mostly with puppetry and prosthetic makeup effects. There are CG elements added, but overall, this impressive figure was 90% an actor in fantastic makeup.

I bring this up because many of you are saying that CG is the way to go, but if you are unfamiliar with what Del Toro does, then you will be either pleasantly surprised or disappointed to the point of not being able to enjoy the rest of the film. I hope he directs, because if he does, we will get many fantastic ghoulies done in a more organic style, which I have always felt is far superior for something with a gothic or horror edge than entirely CG effects is.
    dreams. come. true.

• Minion

I don't care how the look of HBG is accomplished, so long as he looks just like our original HBG. That's what really matters to me.

If there are HM puppets in the future, it could be why Garner Holt has some Hatbox Ghost-looking heads and parts laying around in their shop.

Oops! Did I say that? Shhhh.

I'd support Brad Dourif = Hatbox Ghost.

Or Steve Buscemi, but then, he's more "serial killer" creepy than "ghost" creepy.
    Agreed. Not the right kind of "creepy." Christopher Lloyd might be able to pull it off, though. He's quite versatile.

By the way, have you seen this by Javier Soto?

• Inhospitable about happy

Del Toro on the Haunted Mansion:
    "I thought that the clash, or coincidence, of Claude Coats, Rolly, and Marc Davis created a unique flavor for the Mansion."

On what they intend to do in the movie:
    "...true to the spirit, and the art, and the aesthetic of the original Imagineers that created the Mansion."

Back in the 90's, while working in Los Angeles, he relaxed by going to DL and riding the HM
    "over and over again."

And that's why this won't be like the first HM movie. If the film is successful enough to justify (in the minds of Disney brass) additions to the ride, I'm mildly optimistic that they will only reinforce what is already there.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i-68vAcMRE&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Guillermo Del Toro @ San Diego 2010 Comic Con[/ame]

Tip o' the hat to MasterGracey13 for noticing and posting this clip at his blog.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• =)

I'd like to also voice my approval of del Toro's preference for prosthetics, makeup, puppetry, and so forth. CGI is a great tool for some things, but a lot of times, creatures just look so much better if they're real. The HBG is a perfect candidate for this, IMO.

Think I'm gonna watch Pan's Labyrinth again now.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

If they reanimated Marty Feldman from the grave, maybe...he has the eyes and the loopy grin down.

http://www.phillycrosswind.com/MartyFeldman.jpg

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I'd like to also voice my approval of del Toro's preference for prosthetics, makeup, puppetry, and so forth. CGI is a great tool for some things, but a lot of times, creatures just look so much better if they're real. The HBG is a perfect candidate for this, IMO.

Think I'm gonna watch Pan's Labyrinth again now.
    True, indeed, the suit/puppetry hybrids in Hellboy II are very impressive in particular, and there are a lot of them. I just can't see it being done without some digital tweaks, like for the face and hiding things we shouldn't be seeing.

• Mouseketeer

I would just like to say...CALLED IT!

Way back in the Thread 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    I'm at the expo and I just left the Disney Movie Magic presentation. Disney, partnered with Guillermo del Toro, is creating a new movie label called "Double Dare You." The films with this label will be in line with darker and scarier side of Disney, and Del toro will head all of them. While Del Toro was not present at the expo (he's working on signing/writing the Hobbit movie in New Zealands, woo!) they did have a prerecorded message from him. In it, he cited his love for the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean and their place as an inspiration for this new label. To me, this all sounds like a new Haunted Mansion movie could be in the future! Nothing confirmed on that part, but it seems it would fit perfectly. Just thought I'd share.
    I can't wait for this movie to come out!
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• =)

True, indeed, the suit/puppetry hybrids in Hellboy II are very impressive in particular, and there are a lot of them. I just can't see it being done without some digital tweaks, like for the face and hiding things we shouldn't be seeing.
    Oh, certainly. And I wouldn't dream of belittling such uses of digital trickery - it's all about using the right tools for the right jobs.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM