Page 491 of 581 FirstFirst ... 391441481488489490491492493494501541 ... LastLast
Results 7,351 to 7,365 of 8712

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Another video if anyone is curious...Instagram

The actual hatbox is beneath the holding hand on the floor. You can see it near bottom of first video.

Why is definitely the question in my head.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I knew that if they were to add him back in, it wouldn't be exactly right. It looks like they've made him taller with more standard humanoid proportions so he isn't dwarfed by Constance. He's also less creepy looking. My guess is he'll be added into the ride as the bride's final husband and his head will vanish as it was supposed to.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I am impressed with the detail, like his cravat (he didn't have one before did he?) and his cane, which was a hallmark of the old figure. It's hard to tell, but looks to me like he has his gold tooth too - they toned his hat and the collar down a lot. Reminds a lot of the Phantom from Phantom Manor, though.

I noticed today in the attic that I didn't hearConnie say I do at all. I thought it was the case on the second day I rode it. I'm certain I heard it on the first day though. I had talked about this ride with a friend who doesn't know anything about the ride and he had wondered why she kept saying I do.

• the rockawho?

i prefer the original look and feel....he kinda looks disproportionate in the video

I poured over this thread and found a couple of things that I know about the Disneyland Mansion. After a brief wait in the foyer to allow dark adaption of the guests, they were admitted into an expanding room, or ER. Disneyland used this feature to move guests below ground to pass under the railroad to the show building beyond the berm. The foyer also served as a measuring tool to prevent over stuffing the ER.

The ER is a modified elevator platform. The manufacturer is not Otis, it is from Montgomery Elevator. As with any elevator there are maximum weight restrictions imposed to ensure safe operation. Most elevators have the same weight up or down. The Mansion ER is a special case. It is rated for 20,000 pounds going down, but only 2,000 pounds going up. This is why guests cannot ride back up. I am not sure why a wheel chair passenger was ever brought back up, because usually the chair was to be moved from load to unload by an operator through the foreman's office.

An escape route from the hallway could be through the functional door in the center left (from the direction of travel.) It has a ramp back to the surface. Prior to installation of functional toilets in the mansion, operators used that door to dash to the Pirates facilities above the Pit. In the 70's the ER portraits were changed as needed by decorating staff. They were painted in the admin building near Harbor House. The ratty copies were sometimes touched up and reused. The ER was shut down if any of the paintings had a malfunction until it could be repaired.

The spider web in the ballroom is covering a crack caused by an uneducated guest who fired a pellet gun toward the duelers. He did not realize there is a floor to ceiling glass window there. The glass is what makes the ghosts appear in the ballroom. You are simply watching a reflection of a puppet located above and below the omnimover track. You turn the light on the puppet it appears as a ghostly image in the ballroom. It was explained to me by the facilities people that the glass was not in danger of failure, and it would be necessary to remove the roof to replace it.

The Doom buggies each has a number on the side. The number is no so they can be kept in the right order. The number allows a specific unit to be identified for service such as a loose cam follower (turns the clamshell) a flat or squeaky wheel, or organic waste left behind. In that case a white label was affixed to the unit so loaders did not allow guests an unpleasant experience. In those days sweepers usually did not have radio's but had beepers that would deliver a voice message. Since the voice message could be heard by anyone near the sweeper a code was used. "Mansion 67 needs an angel. Bring pixie dust." Pixie dust was the compound stored all over the park to sprinkle on vomit. The object was to stop the motors when 67 was in the foreman's office to clean the clamshell as new. Good crews could do the job in less than a minute.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Moviela View Post
    It was explained to me by the facilities people that the glass was not in danger of failure, and it would be necessary to remove the roof to replace it.
    Should be no need to remove the roof; there are extra panes of glass stored behind the Ballroom fireplace.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Hi-diddle-dee-dee,
    what's Disney done to me?
    They made me look like a throwback from
    a vaudeville act that is really dumb.
    I think that all of their skulls are numb.
    Some afterlife for me!

The poor mortals at TDA and Garner Holt... They just can't seem to win with me.

Several years ago, I went on and on in this very forum about how I wanted the figure to return as a fully-functioning audio-animatronic. I even started not one but two online petitions. Now, that a figure has been created, I feel like Disney missed the mark.

The Hatbox Ghost is a hunched, wobbly, old geezer. This one moves like Jack Sparrow and dresses like a ringmaster. And that cane is very Tim Burtonesque. I wonder if the park is planning on installing it for Haunted Mansion Holidays.

This Hattie is dressed just fine for a swinging wake in the graveyard. But any attic figure would have to be A LOT more sinister and decrepit.

I wonder what Guillermo del Toro thinks.

What confuses me about this is that, as I recall, it was stated on good information that a number of moons ago a new animatronic was built, and the vanishing head trick problems ironed out, but that funding issues and movie interference had kept it locked away at WDI. This animatronic, however, shows no evidence of a head effect. That leaves us with a number of options:

1) This is the animatronic intended for the ride, but WDI swapped out the head and hatbox for static versions, because
    a) They're saving the reveal of the effect for the ride, or
    b) The effect wouldn't work in this venue.

2) This is the animatronic intended for the ride, but WDI is so awesome that their solution for the effect leaves no visual evidence of its presence when it's not active, and they've chosen not to activate it for reasons such as those above.

3) This is not the animatronic intended for the ride. It is instead
    a) A prototype used at some point in the design process, either to test various different ideas or an unused entire design concept, or
    b) A generic animatronic body that WDI dressed as the HBG for the amusement of the public.

Honestly, I'm leaning toward option 3b, though we obviously don't have enough information at present to make any real conclusions. I don't think I'm saying that just because I'm kind of disappointed in the design, for the same reasons others have stated. I think 3b is most likely because of the un-HBG-like proportions; the seemingly static nature of the HBG-specific elements, such as the hatbox not having any apparent electrical connection to the body, and being something it looks like they're just going to put in his hand at the last minute; the clothes and hat being cloth, not translucent plastic, which would only make sense for the real animatronic if he's to be used as a full Pepper's Ghost figure, which as has been noted here would likely require some significant remodeling of the attic to accommodate (and that doesn't seem to be Disney's style at present, though it's an intriguing possible interpretation of this figure); and the fact that they appear to still have been tweaking his movement sequence when those pictures were taken, which seems inconsistent with a semi-finished product. All of this suggests to me that this is a demonstration, not a big reveal. I expect more information will come out later today, in any case, and I may be completely wrong. I guess we'll see...if I am wrong, then WDI is either way more disappointing or way more ambitious than I expected.

Turns out it's one of Disney's top-of-the-line AA bodies tricked out with the Hatbox head and fancy duds. They've hauled it out to demo their AA programming and software.

It's too bad. It's growing on me.

Move over, Rover. Let Hattie take over. ;-)

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    3) This is not the animatronic intended for the ride. It is instead
    b) A generic animatronic body that WDI dressed as the HBG for the amusement of the public.

Honestly, I'm leaning toward option 3b, though we obviously don't have enough information at present to make any real conclusions.
    I agree with your thought process on this one and hope you are right. That or, as someone else noted, this is a figure intended to go in during HMH, perhaps in the place of the "real" HBG. Guess we'll just wait and see.

Ignoring the HBG connection, I do have to say that I am impressed with the range of motion of this AA. It seems to move in multiple directions reasonably well (if just a bit jerkily). I'd like to see a totally new ride in the park(s) with this AA style used. Perhaps a Nightmare Before Christmas dark ride, as we saw detailed a few pages back on this thread?

Oh, and it is very nice to see you again TheHatboxGhost! Did you ever find your pants?
    Last edited by Attic Haunt; 08-09-2013 at 04:15 AM. Reason: added to avoid a separate post...

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Tickets please...

They need to make Hattie look older... yep. That's my comment.

Though yeah, its a nice animatronic.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    I wonder what Guillermo del Toro thinks.
    "They're making him tall and lean now? Well, I was probably going to cast Doug Jones as the Hatbox Ghost anyway"
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Vroom, vroom!

Well, this is pretty exciting to see. If that IS the hatbox ghost they want to install, I would be fine with it, depending of course on what they do with it, and how they handle the illusion of the head disappearing.
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM