Page 496 of 593 FirstFirst ... 396446471486493494495496497498499506521546 ... LastLast
Results 7,426 to 7,440 of 8887

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

The Aerial Mouse Hattie image is from this year's introductory pre-show with Corey Burton's narration saying something along the lines of "Some ideas don't end up working. We nearly lost our heads trying to figure out how to get this guy to work."
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by mikeerdas View Post
    Haven't seen this particular video posted yet:

You can tell that those Imagineers really get why HBG is as legendary as he is. (Sarcasm)
    Really guys, show some enthusiasm about your job.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    You can tell that those Imagineers really get why HBG is as legendary as he is. (Sarcasm)
    Really guys, show some enthusiasm about your job.
    Might just be stage fright. I know a ton of people in creative fields that are super-enthusiastic about their jobs, but aren't used to interacting with the public.

That said, they have nothing to fear! We don't bite, we just vant zee information!
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

• Larger Than (After)Life

Let me just say that I think it would be CRUEL TORTURE, and a MAJOR BLUNDER on Disney's part, to haul out a Hatbox Ghost animatronic as FABULOUS as this, and dangle it before our eyes like the proverbial carrot before the donkey, only to take it away. As a Haunted Mansion fan, NOTHING would disappoint me and turn me off more than to never see this figure again, just like the first. That would be 1,000 TIMES WORSE than that hideous McMansionland Playground that defaces the exterior of Disney World's Haunted Mansion attraction. If Disney doesn't put the great Hatbox Ghost character back now, while finding justification for boneheaded additions like The Dread Family and Capt. Pallcrapper, I will never forgive them!

I'm getting P.O.'d just thinking about it.

• Tickets please...

Quote Originally Posted by Open_at_the_close View Post
    Went to the expo yesterday. Glad to have seen HBG personally. Here are a some pics I took of him that I liked. These aren't the Hi-Res versions although if anyone was interested I'm sure I can send them. Hope you enjoy!

Amazing pics! He does look cool... thanks for sharing.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

• Closed Account

If those Imagineers are the future then it's time to close ALL of 1401 Flower St.

• Larger Than (After)Life

They're young and not long out of college. It's my guess that they volunteered to host the exhibit at the Disney Expo. I doubt that they're being paid for it. If I may be blunt, as Disney's profits rise, the company shares those gains less and less with the employees. In fact, senior staff are let go in favor of those receiving entry-level pay. So, in many instances, this is what has become the new face of Disney.

Once, I got in hot water for saying that a statement made by Disney in one of their then-recent videos was untrue. An actor who also happened to work in WDI's Research Department claimed in the video to have worked on Big Thunder Mountain, when he had not. He was not with the company, when Big Thunder was built. In the video, he was merely delivering dialogue from a script. This was from a series that was considered by most viewers to be educational when, really, it was more of a promotional project for Disney Parks.

That is the difference between the Disney Company of then and now. Now, there is a heavier emphasis placed on appearance than quality. It's all about the marketing and packaging, and less about the content. It's not a good turn, in my opinion. But the advertising is very effective and creates loyal followers of the brand.

Just when I thought this thread was showing some positive light. At least they have the ability to stand there and constantly answer "Is he going in the mansion" all day long. Leave them alone.

Is the not getting paid thing sarcasm? because I'm pretty sure they're getting paid.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

A minor distraction from the Hatbox Ghost developments, for those who like this sort of thing as I do: a old radio short by Arch Oboler from 1962 (though he had presented the story earlier on the radio in the 30's), with touches of the 'shadow man' mythos and a dash of H.P. Lovecraft as well, delightfully creepy and enjoyable, if cheesy at some parts.

• Inhospitable about happy

Evidence that the new AA HBG is indeed more than just a convention prop: His hatbox, unused and on the floor at the convention, is included in a display of WDI special effects:

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Be curious to see what the rest of that stuff is: besides Aladdin's lamp and Medusa, nothing jumps out as recognizable. A few skulls on the shelf beneath the hatbox, and maybe a Radiator Springs Racers tire? (which looks like any old tire.)

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

So I made a little comparison guide to the Ezra head/standard detailing variations for such compared to Hatbox. Bottom line: D23 style guide is far more Ezra than classic HBG. (and that's an observation, not an insult that it's ruined or unfixable or poor of them to try).

The difference is in detailing and paint. Both feature the ridges and sharp delineation around the mouth that give the figure a cadaver-ish air, and the arched eye socket. The top row of images are all the hitchhiker: a promotional image from 1969 on the left, the ticket taker in Phantom Manor, and the modern figure at Magic Kingdom. The bottom row is all HBG - from the left, the Yale Gracey promotional photo, the finished figure, a corridor of doors portrait, and the D23 model.

Modern Ezra the hitchhiker is defined by visible giant ears, large ping-pong ball type eyes, and thick white hair. Old Hatbox was notable for his gold tooth, deeply sunken eyes (a painting detail), straggly hair, and giant collar, all of which made him look positively ancient and decrepit when combined.

The D23 figure has the thick wave of hair, the ears, and non-sunken eyes with more white space typical of the hitchhiker ‘Ezra’ - only his gold tooth remains distinctive.

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Evidence that the new AA HBG is indeed more than just a convention prop: His hatbox, unused and on the floor at the convention, is included in a display of WDI special effects:
    Great observation.
    Is that a static Hatbox or is that light 'blip' in the photo just a reflection of some kind?

Guessing reflection, and static prop.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    So I made a little comparison guide to the Ezra head/standard detailing variations for such compared to Hatbox. Bottom line: D23 style guide is far more Ezra than classic HBG.

The D23 figure has the thick wave of hair, the ears, and non-sunken eyes with more white space typical of the hitchhiker ‘Ezra’ - only his gold tooth remains distinctive.
    Great observation. The 'sunken eyes' obv were a major detail of the OG HBG. (Not being critical, just agreeing with your observation)

• Inhospitable about happy

The original HBG had the same ears, of course, but in the extant photos they are usually hidden by the scraggly hair. I can live with the larger pupils, but I definitely prefer the scraggly hair.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Not sure how his opaque costume will look under show lighting, but I guess that’s part of the mystery! (Or maybe that’s not his final costume.)

I think he does go better as a set with Constance than the original would. If they were still using one of the Beating Heart brides, it might be a different story, but that ship has sailed.

We’ve been wondering if and how the disappearing head trick will work. Maybe they’ll pull the old switcheroo and it’s CONNIE’s projected noggin that will appear in the box, showing that she got her comeuppance at last. I can’t say I’d be too brokenhearted; at least it might give us a few seconds’ relief from her chattering!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM