Page 501 of 618 FirstFirst ... 401451476491498499500501502503504511526551601 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 9267

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

They're teasing us. Again. I wouldn't put it past them to be suggesting to us geeks that the project has been "greenlighted" again. But I suppose that's going rather far. (Remember how I/we made fools of ourselves over "U Will Plough"? A warning to us all.)

Here's another weird synchronicity. There is what looks like an antique, treadle-style sewing machine in the attic. (There are still a lot of them around. We had one, from my grandmother. My sister has it now. Still works.)

This could possibly be one of the original attic items, seeing as how it is an antique, and there's little fear of theft because it's heavy. Anyway, for a long time it sat to the right of the piano and the first window, beside a post, and nearby sat the pram, closer to the track. Here are some 3D views from 2002. I'm including this first one even though you can't see the sewing machine because, wretched as it is, it's still one of the better shots of the pram that I've got:

This grab from a second or two later shows the pram and the sewing machine behind it, to the right.

That's to get you oriented correctly. These blurry grabs are from 2004 or 5. The pram and sewing machine are still in the same place, except that the pram has been turned around, and the sewing machine has an open book on top of it.

Thanks, Regions, for the new info on what's in the green-lit book tableau. If it happens to be the case that the book is sitting on the old sewing machine, then they've roughly reproduced part of a tableau from the other side of the track that was cleared out when Connie arrived. Probably sheer coincidence. Just sayin'.

--------

Total change of subject, but in my recently acquired trove of unshareable data there are some trivia items of mild interest. It seems the exit crypt was originally going to be decorated, not the severely plain structure it is. It was going to have a winged hourglass on it and a rosette-and-garland border. Like this:

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

As for the D23 HBG, I'm starting to think they decked out their A-100 demo model as the HBG as part of the tease, not as a display of the actual HBG 2.0. After all, it had to look like something or someone. If that were the real deal, why aren't they animating the face at all? I was probably wrong earlier: this IS just a mask and clothes on a generic A-100. That would also explain why we get boring gloves instead of HBG's great bony hands.

Back to the book in the attic. It's too thick to be a wedding guest book. It's too plain to be a magic spell book. It isn't a Bible, I'm sure, but that's what it looks like.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

A quick survey question for all you Mansionauts: do you actually enjoy things like WDI's maddening vagueness about all this, and that silly little post-it note? More so than nearly anything else this thread has ever covered, the HBG stuff at D23 looks to be directed at relatively serious Mansion fans, rather than the general public. That being the case, do you feel that that WDI's handling of all this has improved your opinion of WDI and its work, or made it worse? Since we're finally a target demographic, I'd be interested to know whether WDI did a good job in communicating with its audience. I can understand if you did like it - there's all sorts of interesting things going on, and mystery can be fun - but overall it's just left a bad taste in my mouth. That post-it really put it over the top for me, because it just feels patronizing. I'd much rather they were just straight with us about what they can and can't say. That's just my opinion, though, and I have a curmudgeonly streak, so what say you - is the tease titillating, or just tedious?
    Last edited by CDW; 08-16-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Copyediting.

• Larger Than (After)Life

I hate the wait and I hate being strung along. I don't find it enjoyable at all. For me, it's a huge TURN-OFF. In my opinion, putting the Hatbox Ghost figure back is a no-brainer. It should've been done years ago. And a number of my mechanical engineer/SPFX/illusionist friends have cooked up a number of ways the head vanish could be achieved, even at close proximity, and a variety of alternate effects and scenarios, all of which would be entertaining. Disney's hemming and hawing makes me wonder what they're doing or what they think they're doing or if they're doing anything at all. Obviously, they were. But, again, what's taking them so long? (??????????)

BTW, I'm NOT buying the HBG limited edition, limited time shirt. It's GROSSLY OVERPRICED and the design is nothing to write home about. I don't even like how the design is placed on the shirt. It's a $10 tee being sold for more than twice its value. I have that same Marc Davis illustration elsewhere. I don't need it again on a boring shirt.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 08-16-2013 at 01:22 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    They're teasing us. Again. I wouldn't put it past them to be suggesting to us geeks that the project has been "greenlighted" again. But I suppose that's going rather far. (Remember how I/we made fools of ourselves over "U Will Plough"? A warning to us all.)

Here's another weird synchronicity. There is what looks like an antique, treadle-style sewing machine in the attic. (There are still a lot of them around. We had one, from my grandmother. My sister has it now. Still works.)

This could possibly be one of the original attic items, seeing as how it is an antique, and there's little fear of theft because it's heavy.
    Down to the last detail, identical to the one I learned to sew on. It still sits at my mother's. You always had to check before you started treading because the cat loved to squeeze herself between the treadle and the floor.

As for the new Hatbox Ghost AA, again, I like it very much. I think that the gloved hands merely match the rest of the figure's wardrobe, which is very dapper. He looks like a formal groom, a very dead one. Bony hands are easy to cast and finish. The original ghost did not wear gloves because he barely wore clothes. The bony hands went well with the original figure which looked more sinister. A nice touch for the new figure might be to remove his gloves and have him holding them in the same hand with the cane. That way, he'd have a complete outfit and look more skeletal.

I didn't get the Hatbox Ghost shirt for a variety of reasons. Reason #1 is because I don't find the design particularly strong. The artwork takes up less than a 1/4 of the total front side of the shirt. I have gotten the other two shirts they have at DL's HM currently, the poster design and the newer design with the tombstones (which aren't even at DL) on it. I couldn't resist because those are just plain cool.

Reason #2 I'm not getting this is because I see no reason to wear a shirt with a character I've never seen that isn't in the ride and is literally being marketed to a fanbase strictly as merchandise now because the story of his removal has become increasingly popular on the internet.

Reason #3 is because it's using the standard Hanes beefy shirt or whatever, which I actually despise. They need to use a thinner material that is more comfortable and fitted for non-plus-size people.

The eyes work on the new Hatbox Ghost AA, so the face is semi-animated.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    As for the D23 HBG, I'm starting to think they decked out their A-100 demo model as the HBG as part of the tease, not as a display of the actual HBG 2.0. After all, it had to look like something or someone. If that were the real deal, why aren't they animating the face at all? I was probably wrong earlier: this IS just a mask and clothes on a generic A-100. That would also explain why we get boring gloves instead of HBG's great bony hands.
    Someone on Tumblr was saying they heard the D23 Hattie was just a redecoed Tom Morrow from Innoventions, so you might be onto something.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Disney is known for recycling. I have no problem with WDI repurposing Tom Morrow's body for use as the Hatbox Ghost's. Just put the darn thing back inside The Haunted Mansion!

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    I didn't get the Hatbox Ghost shirt for a variety of reasons. Reason #1 is because I don't find the design particularly strong. The artwork takes up less than a 1/4 of the total front side of the shirt. I have gotten the other two shirts they have at DL's HM currently, the poster design and the newer design with the tombstones (which aren't even at DL) on it. I couldn't resist because those are just plain cool.

Reason #2 I'm not getting this is because I see no reason to wear a shirt with a character I've never seen that isn't in the ride and is literally being marketed to a fanbase strictly as merchandise now because the story of his removal has become increasingly popular on the internet.

Reason #3 is because it's using the standard Hanes beefy shirt or whatever, which I actually despise. They need to use a thinner material that is more comfortable and fitted for non-plus-size people.
    I bought the shirt. I actually liked the design a lot better than the other two shirts they're currently offering - they messed with the poster design on the one, not for the better, and cocked it at a goofy angle, and on the other the photorealistic foreground just looks weird against the illustrated background. I've never been a Hatbox Ghost partisan; I like him, and I'd like him to come back, but I'm not particularly invested in it. Mostly I just want a good HM shirt. The HBG has been a major part of HM promotional material since early on, and he's a good design, so I don't feel pandered to just because Disney is taking advantage of the current HBG resurgence. I'd love it if they would make a shirt that's just a direct reproduction of the poster, maybe even on a base shirt color that isn't black (how about a nice green?), but that seems unlikely to happen.

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    Sat. Aug 3, 2013
    Crap
    I rode it like 8 times that day

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    A quick survey question for all you Mansionauts:

Love it actually.

Recent Disney history shows they are masterful at the 'tease' (see: Tomorrowland the movie) and another word I picked up before I dropped outta community college - 'synergy' (got us all talking, for good or ill).

Bring it back, don't bring it back. I kinda don't care cuz im totally geeked on the HMs history regardless (as with DL and Walt Disney) and HBG is part of the HMs beautiful past. To me Disney's attention detail to the past is just as, if not more important to me that what may lay ahead.

Totally bought the shirt btw. Now if only they could make some cool 1967 (or prior) TL shirts...
    Last edited by MyFriendtheAtom; 08-17-2013 at 02:38 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Hellhound audio is back today, Blasty is operational, two really nice rides so far with mostly silent groups in the foyer and stretching room.

One other oddity....the shadow man/piano playing ghost is gone, but the piano still plays even though he doesn't appear. Tech issues....? A deliberate tease since people speculated he was a HBG homage? Who even can tell anymore? (though I personally doubt they'd go that far to mess with a limited amount of fans)
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

They're getting back at us for trash-talkin' their queue. ;-)

Shadow Man was missing last week as well. Maybe he's been deliberately removed due to similarities to the Hatbox Ghost. Or maybe it's just another broken effect. That would be in addition to the ballroom dancer turntable closest to the organist and the old man with the mummy.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM