Page 502 of 605 FirstFirst ... 2402452477492499500501502503504505512527552602 ... LastLast
Results 7,516 to 7,530 of 9070

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    There is a hat/coat rack there behind the desk/book arrangment, but too dark to see what was on it if anything - maybe just a coat. And the thing in front is definitely a pram. No hint of what the book is in person, it's just small writing of a 'regular' sort.
    That's probably the hat rack.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    They're teasing us. Again. I wouldn't put it past them to be suggesting to us geeks that the project has been "greenlighted" again. But I suppose that's going rather far. (Remember how I/we made fools of ourselves over "U Will Plough"? A warning to us all.)

Here's another weird synchronicity. There is what looks like an antique, treadle-style sewing machine in the attic. (There are still a lot of them around. We had one, from my grandmother. My sister has it now. Still works.)

This could possibly be one of the original attic items, seeing as how it is an antique, and there's little fear of theft because it's heavy. Anyway, for a long time it sat to the right of the piano and the first window, beside a post, and nearby sat the pram, closer to the track. Here are some 3D views from 2002. I'm including this first one even though you can't see the sewing machine because, wretched as it is, it's still one of the better shots of the pram that I've got:

This grab from a second or two later shows the pram and the sewing machine behind it, to the right.

That's to get you oriented correctly. These blurry grabs are from 2004 or 5. The pram and sewing machine are still in the same place, except that the pram has been turned around, and the sewing machine has an open book on top of it.

Thanks, Regions, for the new info on what's in the green-lit book tableau. If it happens to be the case that the book is sitting on the old sewing machine, then they've roughly reproduced part of a tableau from the other side of the track that was cleared out when Connie arrived. Probably sheer coincidence. Just sayin'.

--------

Total change of subject, but in my recently acquired trove of unshareable data there are some trivia items of mild interest. It seems the exit crypt was originally going to be decorated, not the severely plain structure it is. It was going to have a winged hourglass on it and a rosette-and-garland border. Like this:

I bet you anything that this is WDI teasing us because they know we follow these things so closely and make these types of connections. I joke about how the posters on this board may have inadvertently influenced the creative development process of PLQ. It definitely seems as though the stuff we talk/theorize about actually end up influencing the actual attraction. (For good or ill.)
    It's almost as if by proxy we have become the designers of the ride ourselves or at least the guardians of the creative flame.
    Last edited by HMF; 08-16-2013 at 07:37 PM.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    A quick survey question for all you Mansionauts: do you actually enjoy things like WDI's maddening vagueness about all this, and that silly little post-it note? More so than nearly anything else this thread has ever covered, the HBG stuff at D23 looks to be directed at relatively serious Mansion fans, rather than the general public. That being the case, do you feel that that WDI's handling of all this has improved your opinion of WDI and its work, or made it worse? Since we're finally a target demographic, I'd be interested to know whether WDI did a good job in communicating with its audience. I can understand if you did like it - there's all sorts of interesting things going on, and mystery can be fun - but overall it's just left a bad taste in my mouth. That post-it really put it over the top for me, because it just feels patronizing. I'd much rather they were just straight with us about what they can and can't say. That's just my opinion, though, and I have a curmudgeonly streak, so what say you - is the tease titillating, or just tedious?
    I don't care for it, because it's getting old. The 40th Anny was saturated with cheesy HBG stuff, and PLQ is chock-full of annoying elbow-nudging aimed at the hardcore HM fans. Some of it is cynical exploitation and some of it is sincere Imagineer co-geekiness, but all of it is just getting tiresome.

The thing that made the HBG special was his obscurity. He was an odd and creepy thing well off to the side, known only to a few. His very existence was open to debate. Those days are gone. Now he's just another famous Disney character for them to make money off of. He was a lot more fun 10 or 15 years ago, that's for sure.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Look at this awful caricature of him on a new shirt. Don't even get me started on how the shirt makes no sense considering you can only experience the Holiday version during Halloween.

All this exploitation of the character amounts to nothing for me. They can put him on as much Disney Parks crap as they want and parade him around D23. I see little relation to the photo of him in the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    Look at this awful caricature of him on a new shirt. Don't even get me started on how the shirt makes no sense considering you can only experience the Holiday version during Halloween.

All this exploitation of the character amounts to nothing for me. They can put him on as much Disney Parks crap as they want and parade him around D23. I see little relation to the photo of him in the ride.
    If they actually bring him back. I might forgive all the shenanigans but come January and if hattie does not actually appear then I feel it would just be exploitation. Using Hattie (and dreamfinder) as much as they are could indicate two things Either A. Those characters are in fact returning. B.They are exploiting these characters to keep a positive rapport with the fans so the inevivtable blowback against their NGE Pet Project will be minimized or C. Both of these things. My vote is C, In other words I will be happy to see these characters re-materialize but the motivation behind it is rather insincere and ugly.

Oh my...that's bad, and if possible, the hitchhiking ghosts behind him are even worse. And don't forget the back, where yet more awkward caricatures can be found, along with an exact duplicate of the art from the front of the shirt. And shouldn't the Hatbox Ghost be in possession, or at least the general vicinity, of a hatbox? In fairness, since it is a WDW shirt and you can still get the HHGs at Halloween there (and the HBG exactly nowhere, for now), it's not completely unreasonable subject matter. But that doesn't excuse the terrible art.

Returning to the WDW Mansion Attic. I have been doing more analysis of this photo.

The stone pot on the upper far-left might have been on the opposite side of the track near where Constance is now prior to the Re-Haunting.

Prior to the 96 Update it was up on the cabinet behind the Pop-up Ghost.

I say might be because a similar object can be found elsewhere in pre Re-Haunting photos of the Attic

Which of the two is seen in the post 07 pic is anyone's guess
    Last edited by HMF; 08-17-2013 at 05:00 AM.

• Science Factual

I found this info on the guy that designed said shirt.

"Casey Jones is a Senior Character Artist with the Disney Design Group. Before joining DDG, Casey drew comic books for Marvel. Now his love for the Disney Theme Parks is put to good use, as he designs Vinylmation™, toys, and illustrates for all sorts of merchandise at the Disney Parks. His favorite attractions are the Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Spaceship Earth, but his all-time favorite is Walt Disney World's Twilight Zone Tower of Terror! Casey is an old school Disney Geek, so he dreams of Horizons and Dreamfinders."

just food for thought...

i mean yah, Disney sells HECKA junk (this we all know). I sorta take a lot of it with a grain of salt. (Example: Remember not too long ago Star Wars anything was WAY hard to come across?) Nowadays, it's kinda overkill, I agree. But we all get to pay more attention luckily, to things like that. Which are meant to fly under most people's radars as they reach into their pockets to bring home a piece of the park.

However I've never been walking down Main Street at the end of the night, upset that Casey Jones designed a bad shirt.

Its sorta like being into a band before anybody else, and then that band gets WAY too popular - but DARN IT their records are really good!

That being said, Hatboxploitation™ has reached a Fever Pitch, and I'm hoping just like most people that the intentions are well placed and for good rea$on.
    Last edited by MyFriendtheAtom; 08-17-2013 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Runonsentences

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

"Casey is an old school Disney Geek, so he dreams of Horizons and Dreamfinders."
    Lol this sounds exactly like me. I am a old school Disney geek myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendtheAtom View Post
    Hatboxploitation™
    And trademarked already.

I'm fairly immune to it because my only experience with the HBG until recently was from the 7" read-along record from childhood. My HM restoration wish would be for the original attic to reappear -- dark and scary, beating heart and pop-ups -- since I want the Mansion to be as scary as possible. (Theoretically, if HBG had been initially successful and stayed in the attic the recent attic renovation would not have been possible because it's so bright now, I suppose.)

It's like the "Special Edition" of Star Wars. I still think of the 1977 film as "Star Wars" (its original title) and can watch the SE, but look past the new stuff because most of the old stuff is still there. If that new HBG were to appear it would be like the addition of Jabba the Hutt to the SE. Yes, it was originally designed for the original, but adding it all these years later makes it stylistically more a part of the new stuff than the original stuff.
    Last edited by bigcatrik; 08-17-2013 at 06:58 AM.

I found this info on the guy that designed said shirt.
    "Casey Jones is a Senior Character Artist with the Disney Design Group. Before joining DDG, Casey drew comic books for Marvel. Now his love for the Disney Theme Parks is put to good use, as he designs Vinylmation™, toys, and illustrates for all sorts of merchandise at the Disney Parks. His favorite attractions are the Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Spaceship Earth, but his all-time favorite is Walt Disney World's Twilight Zone Tower of Terror! Casey is an old school Disney Geek, so he dreams of Horizons and Dreamfinders."
    I think this may be a case of mistaken identity; Casey Jones is apparently responsible for this shirt, which has seen mixed reviews but I don't think qualifies as awful (since most of the artwork is Collin Campbell's anyway):
    Name:  7505055880250.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  29.1 KB

However, I haven't seen anything to suggest he's responsible for this shirt, which is the one we've been saying unkind things about:
    Name:  400006497918.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  60.3 KBName:  4000064979182.jpg
Size:  54.2 KB
    Last edited by CDW; 08-17-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Now with back, for additional humor.

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    I think this may be a case of mistaken identity; Casey Jones is apparently responsible for this shirt, which has seen mixed reviews but I don't think qualifies as awful (since most of the artwork is Collin Campbell's anyway):
    Name:  7505055880250.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  29.1 KB

However, I haven't seen anything to suggest he's responsible for this shirt, which is the one we've been saying unkind things about:
    Name:  400006497918.jpg
Size:  60.3 KBName:  4000064979182.jpg
Size:  54.2 KB
    my apologies for not referring to my source.

This from the sellers page that was linked earlier:

Sizes available: Small, Medium, Large, XL, XXL, XXXL (see chart below)Screen art
    Glow-in-the-dark eyes
    Ribbed crew neck
    Designed by Artist, Casey Jones
    Celebrating the 44th anniversary of The Haunted Mansion's opening day at Disneyland; August 9, 1969
    100% polyester
    Machine wash, tumble dry
    Yay polyester!

Its a possibility that he did both, assuming that Shirt Design is his thing. Or a third party Seller had wrong info.

EDIT: it kinda looks that Casey Jones is responsible for alotta shirt designs. Most notably the Turkey Leg, Dole Whip and Churros shirts.

I'll just aks him on Twitter real quick.
    Last edited by MyFriendtheAtom; 08-17-2013 at 09:22 AM.

• Inhospitable about happy

Cleanse the palette with some good old fashioned microtrivia.
    From the new bag of goodies...

As late as May '69 they were planning on having this detail:

I suppose they figured that anything they put there would be doomed, as chicken-exiters would be tempted to do things like pick off plastic leaves for souvenirs. Or it was deleted to save time in those hectic final months.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

my apologies for not referring to my source.

This from the sellers page that was linked earlier:

Sizes available: Small, Medium, Large, XL, XXL, XXXL (see chart below)Screen art
    Glow-in-the-dark eyes
    Ribbed crew neck
    Designed by Artist, Casey Jones
    Celebrating the 44th anniversary of The Haunted Mansion's opening day at Disneyland; August 9, 1969
    100% polyester
    Machine wash, tumble dry

Yay polyester!

Its a possibility that he did both, assuming that Shirt Design is his thing. Or a third party Seller had wrong info.

I'll just aks him on Twitter real quick.
    That eBay description for the second shirt is almost directly lifted from the Disney Store description of the first shirt, and actually doesn't make much sense for the second shirt, because it has nothing to do with the 44th anniversary on August 9th. I suspect the eBay description isn't entirely trustworthy.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The thing that made the HBG special was his obscurity. He was an odd and creepy thing well off to the side, known only to a few. His very existence was open to debate. Those days are gone. Now he's just another famous Disney character for them to make money off of. He was a lot more fun 10 or 15 years ago, that's for sure.
    You're making yourself sound like a hipster upset that an indie band suddenly got mainstream popularity.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM