Page 503 of 618 FirstFirst ... 3403453478493500501502503504505506513528553603 ... LastLast
Results 7,531 to 7,545 of 9268

• Science Factual

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    That eBay description for the second shirt is almost directly lifted from the Disney Store description of the first shirt, and actually doesn't make much sense for the second shirt, because it has nothing to do with the 44th anniversary on August 9th. I suspect the eBay description isn't entirely trustworthy.
    Agreed. However, it appears as if Mr Jones is the head designer/artist
    or head boss hog for the dept that pushes out shirt designs for both parks with the emphasis on 'Retro' or 'Mod' attractions rides and foods (however this a pure guess). See the edit to my post above.
    Last edited by MyFriendtheAtom; 08-17-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Foosd

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    You're making yourself sound like a hipster upset that an indie band suddenly got mainstream popularity.
    The difference with the HBG is that his appeal wasn't something unfortunately hidden by his obscurity; on the contrary, that obscurity was itself a major element in his appeal. IMO.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Science Factual

I received a response from Mr Casey Jones regarding the below shirts.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  53.4 KB

• Inhospitable about happy

Pointless waste of time, but so what...

Last edited by HBG2; 08-17-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: fix link
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendtheAtom View Post
    I received a response from Mr Casey Jones regarding the below shirts.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  53.4 KB
    Man, I still haven't quite gotten used to the notion that you can ask people things on twitter and they'll answer. Thanks for checking it out! I didn't really want to think ill of a man named Casey Jones.

• Larger Than (After)Life

COLLIN CAMPBELL? I thought that Hatbox Ghost design on the black t-shirt was based on Marc Davis' art. Am I getting my Imagineers crossed?

Anyway, I don't like it -- and not because I don't like the art. It's been overused. On the shirt, it's too small, placed badly and doesn't stand out from the background art nor the color of the shirt itself. And I don't like the cut of the shirt -- too boxy! (No pun intended.) It's not worth the asking price, especially when you add tax and shipping. In my (other)world, we call that a "rip-off."

As for the other shirt designs that some of you think are ghastly, I just look at it as an artist's interpretation. The design is busy, that's for sure. And it is definitely a caricaturization (if that's a word). But I don't find it offensive. The price, however, is obscene. And, again, I don't like the cut of the shirt. It looks more like it should be a woman's/girl's shirt design, because of the "cuteness." But most of the women I know don't like wearing men's cuts, so they won't buy it. Maybe it should've been a poster or a trick-or-treat bag design? Or an iron-on for the back of a jacket?

I don't think some of these Disney merchandising mortals know much about clothes/fashion.

Have you seen this blog post and its accompanying photos?

Make Room for One More Haunted Mansion Shirt Coming to the Disney Parks Online Store « Disney Parks Blog

If you scroll down about half way, there's a photo of two illustrations side by side, both of them of yours ghoully. At left, is the finished design for the shirt; and, at right, is a sketch that looks like it was roughed out in non-repro blue pencil. The lines have not been inked.

No offense to Mr. Jones, a fine artist whom I follow on Twitter, but I do not see how the design at left (the one that was used on the shirt) won out over the one at right. The one at right is original, far more interesting and expressive and, well, just plain COOL.

Utterly baffling.

HBG2, I like the addition of the originally-intended-but-scrapped urn A LOT more than the bare wall design. Nice work creating the image.

• Mr. Ghost

This may have been posted before:
    Disneyland Showtime 1970
    It's the Kurt Russell special with the Osmond Brothers

How about this video of Magic Kingdom from 1981 showing the entrance gates near the graveyard and the kempt exterior. The canopy structure (while nowhere near as offensive as the current one) shows how, even then, WDI was screwing up the exterior of MK's Mansion with clutter by installing a bunch of beams going right up to the entrance gates and plaques.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Cleanse the palette with some good old fashioned microtrivia.
    From the new bag of goodies...

As late as May '69 they were planning on having this detail:

I suppose they figured that anything they put there would be doomed, as chicken-exiters would be tempted to do things like pick off plastic leaves for souvenirs. Or it was deleted to save time in those hectic final months.
    I'm so glad they went with the less-ornamented look for this area. It makes me think of the plainer, almost austere Greek-revival look I remember seeing in some of the New Orleans cemeteries.

• Minion

However, I haven't seen anything to suggest he's responsible for this shirt, which is the one we've been saying unkind things about:
    Attachment 31557Attachment 31559
    That is identical to the artwork on the 2012 Halloween lenticular placemat. His finger is pointing out to tap Mickey Mouse on the arm. I'm looking at mine to see if I can find a signature anywhere but so far no luck.

http://www.yourwdwstore.net/assets/i...0006492579.jpg

While we're on the subject of Haunted Mansion(ish) merch and its artist creators, does anyone here know who sculpted the Trader Sam's Zombie Tiki Mug?

I think it looks like Ezra from The Hitchhiking Ghosts. I have two. Me likey.

http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.co...98075LARGE.jpg

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Have you seen this blog post and its accompanying photos?

Make Room for One More Haunted Mansion Shirt Coming to the Disney Parks Online Store « Disney Parks Blog

If you scroll down about half way, there's a photo of two illustrations side by side, both of them of yours ghoully. At left, is the finished design for the shirt; and, at right, is a sketch that looks like it was roughed out in non-repro blue pencil. The lines have not been inked.

No offense to Mr. Jones, a fine artist whom I follow on Twitter, but I do not see how the design at left (the one that was used on the shirt) won out over the one at right. The one at right is original, far more interesting and expressive and, well, just plain COOL.

Utterly baffling.
    I don't like that blue line drawing at all. Looks nothing like the original...

I love the new "retro" shirt as released, mainly because it's pretty much a dead-on representation of the original Lp artwork - instantly recognizable - which was all we had of the HM for decades. Still over-priced, however.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    While we're on the subject of Haunted Mansion(ish) merch and its artist creators, does anyone here know who sculpted the Trader Sam's Zombie Tiki Mug?

I think it looks like Ezra from The Hitchhiking Ghosts. I have two. Me likey.

http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.co...98075LARGE.jpg
    OooooOOOOooooooOOOOooo! I love that! How clever to put a half peeled orange half in as the brain! Do they still offer this at Trader Sam's? I would love to get one...

That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM