Page 504 of 599 FirstFirst ... 4404454479494501502503504505506507514529554 ... LastLast
Results 7,546 to 7,560 of 8981

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Yes, they do. But they run out of stock all the time, because they're very popular. It's kind of hit-and-miss, with the zombie heads. You can buy all of Trader Sam's Tiki mugs (they have four or five designs), with or without a drink.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    I don't like that blue line drawing at all. Looks nothing like the original...

I love the new "retro" shirt as released, mainly because it's pretty much a dead-on representation of the original Lp artwork - instantly recognizable - which was all we had of the HM for decades. Still over-priced, however.
    agreed on all points!!!

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    I don't like that blue line drawing at all. Looks nothing like the original...

I love the new "retro" shirt as released, mainly because it's pretty much a dead-on representation of the original Lp artwork - instantly recognizable - which was all we had of the HM for decades. Still over-priced, however.
    Oddly enough all the DL shirts I own, including the recently ordered HBG shirt, were all designed by Casey Jones.

Count me as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    While we're on the subject of Haunted Mansion(ish) merch and its artist creators, does anyone here know who sculpted the Trader Sam's Zombie Tiki Mug?
    i have nothing. There seems to be a couple of sites dedicated to Trader Sam's itself but nothing specifically about mug design.

EDIT:
    I facebooked Trader Sams and asked if they could provide me the info. Awaiting reply.
    Last edited by MyFriendtheAtom; 08-18-2013 at 09:58 AM.

With regard to the t-shirts and the Hatbox Ghost designs on them, do you think, for one minute, that ANY of those illustrations look like the "original"? ("Original" what?) One resembles the original concept art, but NONE look like the AA figure. And the concept art has been used before on merchandise and other materials.

I like the line drawing because it is fresh and a new, interesting depiction of the character. It looks no more or less like the 1969 Hatbox Ghost animatronic than the images Disney went with for their shirt designs. As far as I can tell, the unused (as of yet) line art is also a work by Casey Jones, a versatile artist capable of illustrating in a number of styles.

I think what I really like about the blue line Hatbox Ghost art is the character's expression. In some ways, it depicts how I feel about Disney dangling this incredible character before the eyes of Haunted Mansion fans increasingly while failing, year after year, to deliver the Hatbox Ghost as part of the attraction. I am extremely disappointed that the figure hasn't yet been returned to the ride. And I am not alone with my feelings.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 08-18-2013 at 10:30 AM.

I've asked a number of sources before about Disney's Tiki mug designs, but have not received an answer about the zombie head. I haven't yet tried Trader Sam's on Facebook. I didn't know the bar has a page.

I'm pretty sure that the zombie head mug is manufactured by Tiki Farm. Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily designed several Tiki mugs commemorating The Enchanted Tiki Room, but the zombie doesn't really look like their style. The mug's design does suggest that it was created by a Haunted Mansion fan though, particularly with the face of the mug having one raised brow and bearing such a strong resemblance to Ezra the hitchhiker.

I'm just curious as to who created it. It is my favorite of all the Trader Sam's mugs, so far.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 08-18-2013 at 11:00 AM.

• Science Factual

With regard to the t-shirts and the Hatbox Ghost designs on them, do you think, for one minute, that ANY of those illustrations look like the "original"? ("Original" what?) One resembles the original concept art, but NONE look like the AA figure. And the concept art has been used before on merchandise and other materials.
    My opinion:
    To me any nod to the concept art is just as awesome as what HBG actually looked like. Again, that was the Apex of WDI, IMO.

I'm just curious as to who created it. It is my favorite of all the Trader Sam's mugs, so far.

Yah I came across the FB page in my 'exhaustive' search for any info on the Tiki mugs. I found a couple places that just kind of assume all the tiki mug designs come from the same place, albeit nothing concrete beyond suggestive Internet chatting. And I agree that it doesn't seem to fall in line with the previous ETR designs.

I am extremely disappointed that the figure hasn't yet been returned to the ride. And I am not alone with my feelings.
    well YAH!
    End Hatboxploitation already!

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by hbg2 View Post
    the difference with the hbg is that his appeal wasn't something unfortunately hidden by his obscurity; on the contrary, that obscurity was itself a major element in his appeal. Imo.
    this^^

In some ways, it depicts how I feel about Disney dangling this incredible character before the eyes of Haunted Mansion fans increasingly while failing, year after year, to deliver the Hatbox Ghost as part of the attraction. I am extremely disappointed that the figure hasn't yet been returned to the ride. And I am not alone with my feelings.
    No, Sir...

You most definitely are NOT...
    Karstens Creations - Original Art & Custom Dreams

http://www.karcreat.com

• Yoiks!

Hope the green lit book isn't Prudence taking over the mansion!

Whoops! No more room. Sorry, the house can't handle one more.

• ...and the Flowers Croon

Whoops! No more room. Sorry, the house can't handle one more.
    Hmmmm, maybe they swapped out the hard of hearing old guy with the ear horn to make way for Hattie's return, thereby maintaining the 999 max. And maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt...

• the rockawho?

if the hbg ever returns....i think the only suitable place will be the attic....

two iconic ghosts in one tiny room maybe too much........i wonder how they will rearrange or what gets the axe.....

or maybe they will try to tie it in with Constance by implying he is the husband that loses his head....

as for the merchandise, I think Haunted Mansion products made by Disney is always a hit or miss.....more miss than anything.....

i hate with a passion the cartoony goofy look.....the madame leota cartoon image they been using for all their recent products is awful.....the new haunted mansion shirt is awful....i hate that version of the HBG........

i love the 44th anniversary shirt design, gargoyle candelabras, leotas music box, and hour glass.....the designs are perfect and very well detailed....

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post
    if the hbg ever returns....i think the only suitable place will be the attic....

two iconic ghosts in one tiny room maybe too much........i wonder how they will rearrange or what gets the axe.....
    Who gets the axe... in the attic...

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The difference with the HBG is that his appeal wasn't something unfortunately hidden by his obscurity; on the contrary, that obscurity was itself a major element in his appeal. IMO.
    I don't think Hattie was ever that obscure, even for a character that was removed in a week. He always seemed to be one of the worst kept secrets of Disney park history. What makes him appealing in my opinion is the mysterious quality to him (and I think there's a difference between obscure and mysterious) that was generated by his early removal combined with how confusing he made the Attic scene with his absence.

Just as Boba Fett got stupidly popular over kids in the eighties going "I want to know more about that cool guy in the helmet and jetpack that only has five lines", Hattie got popular from Disney park fans wondering if that effect could ever work and Mansion fans that got caught up in the traditional cast member in the 90s wanting to find a place for him in that story because that fandom generated from being an enigma gave Hattie a "Breaking out of the Sarlaac and becoming Warlord of Mandalore" moment and that's how his role as a wedding crasher responsible for much of the mess in the SLG comic, the whole mess of the Haunted Holidays page and Guillermo del Toro's movie concept happened.
    Last edited by FigmentJedi; 08-19-2013 at 05:49 AM.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Evil is Sexy

1- I kind of like the unused sketch on the promotional page. I like how more.. realistic the visage is. I would totally wear it on a shirt.

2- At this point I'm trying to maintain a "happy nonchalance." I would LOVE for the animatronic to finally be in the mansion (in limited doses, no crazy Jack Sparrow-ness, thanks). If he doesn't appear, well, I'll just be content telling the story about this fabled animatronic that they frequently use on merchandise and how his life in the mansion was cut short.

3- My husband had an amusing idea about where Ol' Hattie should be. He recommended he stand at the end, with the Hitchhikers, holding his hatbox high with Connie's head inside for all to see. I would totally let HBG hitchhike home with me.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM