Page 505 of 616 FirstFirst ... 5405455480495502503504505506507508515530555605 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,575 of 9236

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Not to beat a dead horse, but it looks like my defense of the new Halloween shirt's use of the HHGs as making sense for an HMH-less Disney World exclusive doesn't quite hold water; as per the latest Dateline Disneyland, they're selling it at Disneyland too. Also, in those clearer pictures, you can see that in the design of the version of the shirt with Mickey & Co. (and presumably the one on the back of the ghosts-only shirt), the Mansion only has three columns. A preview of future cost-cutting measures, perhaps?

• Science Factual

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    I'm just curious as to who created it. It is my favorite of all the Trader Sam's mugs, so far.

Got a response from Trader Sam's re: Mug Design
    Attached Images Attached Images  

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, but it looks like my defense of the new Halloween shirt's use of the HHGs as making sense for an HMH-less Disney World exclusive doesn't quite hold water; as per the latest Dateline Disneyland, they're selling it at Disneyland too. Also, in those clearer pictures, you can see that in the design of the version of the shirt with Mickey & Co. (and presumably the one on the back of the ghosts-only shirt), the Mansion only has three columns. A preview of future cost-cutting measures, perhaps?
    That Mickey and friends design was on the lenticular 3D placemat available last year (2012) at Disneyland I mentioned a page or so back, but the characters have been squeezed together a bit to fit the narrower image area. Jack and Leota have been moved from the extreme upper corners to over the gate and they added Duffy to the right of Minnie.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    That Mickey and friends design was on the lenticular 3D placemat available last year (2012) at Disneyland I mentioned a page or so back, but the characters have been squeezed together a bit to fit the narrower image area. Jack and Leota have been moved from the extreme upper corners to over the gate and they added Duffy to the right of Minnie.
    Oops, sorry, I missed that post. Thanks for the info! It's kind of odd that not only are they reusing the artwork from last year, but they're making two separate shirts reusing different parts of the artwork. With a three-column mansion. Sigh.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Thanks for the info about the Tiki mugs. I didn't think the zombie head was Kidney & Daily because their style is usually cleaner, with even glaze and straighter lines. It just goes to show how versatile they are.

• Minion

I dug out my old camcorder to try my hand at NightShot videos on Saturday.

1st try, I was ushered in at the last second before the elevator doors shut so I missed the beginning. It was nice that the room was uncrowded and quiet, though. The Auto-focus was quite annoying, so the later tries were with the manual focus set to a best guess, so they aren't as sharp as I would have liked.

I gave up on trying to get the whole attraction and concentrated on the ride portion. First a view out the right side of the DoomBuggy:

Then the left side:

The first three were without any additional illumination, just counting on the IR sources of the security cameras. The last is with the IR light turned on and pointing at whatever I felt like getting:

Different materials can look different under IR depending on if they reflect or absorb infrared light, even though they look the same to the naked eye. Most of the ravens that I can see in the videos have what look like white wings and black bodies because the wing material reflects IR while the body covering absorbs it, except the conservatory raven looks all white so its body covering is different than the others.

Hairy Baby!

• Professional Obsessive

Because there's interest in this just now, I was at Disneyland last night and rode Haunted Mansion three times. I made sure to check up on the "green book".

I don't think this is anything resembling a new development. The props in this corner of the attic haven't moved - same big hole, same vest and hat on the coat rack, same big trunk in front of the old AA rig hole. I'm sure they don't bother to fill this spot in because it needs to support the "big snake" during Holiday.

The book looks like a standard edition hardcover, probably just one of many that kick around the Attic. What this really resembles, to me, is some Cast Member noticed the book one morning during walk-through and decided to see what it was. They opened it up on the nearest surface (the trunk), satisfied their curiosity, and left it there, figuring nobody would notice.

The "green light" looks much more interesting in a photograph than it does in person. This is a green fill light that dimly illuminates the stuff scattered just past the final change-o photo on the right. it's angled down to illuminate the floor in front of the trunk, and the book's pages, a bright semi-reflective surface that's not supposed to be there, is catching the light. At WDW almost none of the Attic props are nailed down and we made a game of moving them around whenever possible. We did the same thing at Jungle Cruise; we'd make Hidden Mickeys out of rocks or plates and then remove them. This was partially to amuse ourselves and partially to annoy WDI, who is officially "against" Hidden Mickeys these days.

Oh, and the Old Man is back near the Mummy. I hope this is a work in progress; both figures' blacklight is switched off, and a new, amber incandescent light is directed onto the scrim in front of them both. This makes them both almost impossible to see. Every figure in the DL graveyard needs a total re-wardrobe and re-paint. When you compare it to those 1969 promotional photos (which is how the figures look at WDW and TDL), it's just pitiful.

I have a question about the demon wallpaper in the knocking doors hallway. Does anyone know how large the demon template is? I tried to print up just one section of the wallpaper, as an experiment, and it was really way too small. When I went into the mansion, one time it looked like about 24 inches from top to bottom, but next time I looked, it appeared to be more like 30 inches. Does anybody know for sure?

Thanx

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    Yes sir! You got some wicked shots of the 'Green Book'. Tried some screen grabs to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxxFur View Post
    Because there's interest in this just now, I was at Disneyland last night and rode Haunted Mansion three times. I made sure to check up on the "green book".
    Thank you for your take on it FoxxFur. I was at HM several times the day Ron W got the initial green book photo, and I didn't even notice the book til after it was pointed out here. All in all, I agree it's most likely just random junk movement. However, with the recent Jack Skellington plushes added to WDW HM, and D23's attempt at HBG teasers it seemed maybe 'too' convenient of a coincidence. (Not saying either are related tho)

So, now we wait for HMH to finish...

• Science Factual

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  33.0 KB

This is a screen grab from Ron W's videos above.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendtheAtom View Post
    Yes sir! You got some wicked shots of the 'Green Book'. Tried some screen grabs to no avail.

Thank you for your take on it FoxxFur. I was at HM several times the day Ron W got the initial green book photo, and I didn't even notice the book til after it was pointed out here. All in all, I agree it's most likely just random junk movement. However, with the recent Jack Skellington plushes added to WDW HM, and D23's attempt at HBG teasers it seemed maybe 'too' convenient of a coincidence. (Not saying either are related tho)

So, now we wait for HMH to finish...
    The Jack Skellington plushes have been there since 2007. We just did not have good pics of them until recently.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    With regard to the t-shirts and the Hatbox Ghost designs on them, do you think, for one minute, that ANY of those illustrations look like the "original"? ("Original" what?) One resembles the original concept art, but NONE look like the AA figure. And the concept art has been used before on merchandise and other materials.

I like the line drawing because it is fresh and a new, interesting depiction of the character. It looks no more or less like the 1969 Hatbox Ghost animatronic than the images Disney went with for their shirt designs. As far as I can tell, the unused (as of yet) line art is also a work by Casey Jones, a versatile artist capable of illustrating in a number of styles.

I think what I really like about the blue line Hatbox Ghost art is the character's expression. In some ways, it depicts how I feel about Disney dangling this incredible character before the eyes of Haunted Mansion fans increasingly while failing, year after year, to deliver the Hatbox Ghost as part of the attraction. I am extremely disappointed that the figure hasn't yet been returned to the ride. And I am not alone with my feelings.
    "Original" as in the original AA figure, and the original artwork for The Story and Song illustration. Instant recognizability. The blue line drawing is too modern, and has a down-right evil look about it, which Hattie never had. I am curious why it was even necessary to bring in an artist when they primarily used existing artwork...

Name:  HTS273943LARGE.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  144.3 KB

Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 08-24-2013 at 03:08 AM.

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    The Jack Skellington plushes have been there since 2007. We just did not have good pics of them until recently.
    2007!?!

Thanks for the info...

I'm assuming when Jack plushes showed up at WDW HM people were like, 'Huh?'
    Last edited by MyFriendtheAtom; 08-24-2013 at 10:30 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    It's kind of odd that not only are they reusing the artwork from last year, but they're making two separate shirts reusing different parts of the artwork. With a three-column mansion. Sigh.
    I was at the gift shop at the Disneyland Hotel yesterday and they also have a ceramic mug and a "yard flag" with the design reused, with the characters spread apart or scrunched together to fit. Here are pictures from Laughing Place. You can only see one side:

Disney Halloween 2013 Logo Mug Enlarged Picture
    Mickey and Friends at the Haunted Mansion Halloween Yard Flag Enlarged Picture

There's also a "candle holder" (basically a plastic tube) with similar designs but redrawn in different poses (note that Mickey is looking forward, for example).

Mickey and Friends at the Haunted Mansion Halloween Candle Holder Enlarged Picture

One of these adds Daisy Duck, but I forgot whether it was the mug or the candle holder.

Red Face Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post

1st try, I was ushered in at the last second before the elevator doors shut so I missed the beginning. It was nice that the room was uncrowded and quiet, though. The Auto-focus was quite annoying, so the later tries were with the manual focus set to a best guess, so they aren't as sharp as I would have liked.

The little kids holding moms hands tightly as they exit the Portrait Chamber is freakin' ADORABLE...gave me flashbacks to when I first fell in love w/ the attraction, around 7 years old...I covered my eyes for a LARGE portion of the whole thing, but my mom tells me upon walking out the exit, I would clammer with, 'Again! AGAIN!'
    Karstens Creations - Original Art & Custom Dreams

http://www.karcreat.com

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM