Page 507 of 658 FirstFirst ... 7407457482497504505506507508509510517532557607 ... LastLast
Results 7,591 to 7,605 of 9862

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

after thinking about it for some time...i think it will be possible he will only return for the holiday version....having him and constance in the same room will be too much.....

the "13th anniversary" of the Holiday version is suppose to have a few changes with 13 fun filled surprises....maybe he is the big surprise....it will make sense to make him seasonal...
    Sorry but I just don't follow your logic on this one why would it make sense to have him seasonal he has nothing to do with NBC and why would it be too much for them to be in the room when the imagineers had him and beating hart paired together originally.

[/QUOTE]

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by mansionman View Post
    Sorry but I just don't follow your logic on this one why would it make sense to have him seasonal he has nothing to do with NBC and why would it be too much for them to be in the room when the imagineers had him and beating hart paired together originally.
    While I agree that the HBG doesn't have any reasonable connection to the Nightmare Before Christmas universe (other than perhaps to yell "get off my lawn, you whippersnappers"), which makes the idea of having him be part of HMH questionable, just dropping him back in his old spot in the normal Mansion definitely could be a problem. Constance commands one's attention - not in a good way, IMO - to a degree that beating heart didn't. When it was two silent, mysterious figures, each with a lighting effect, pairing them creates a tableaux; with Constance, she's something of a show unto herself, which makes it problematic to just pop another character in. If the HBG is like his old self, he'd likely be overshadowed; if he's more showy to match Constance, it would be a lot of overlapping, chaotic activity in a very small space. It's a tough situation. The only solution that comes to mind would be to modify Constance's voice track and animation so that she and the HBG can alternate focus, perhaps even have having a dialogue, in order to create a coherent reason for them to be standing next to each other, but I'm not sure whether WDI is willing to make that big of a change to the status quo.

• Inhospitable about happy

And...I'm back from vacation. Foxxy's take on the green-lit book is interesting, and of course possible. I wonder about the pram, which must have been pulled out of some forgotten corner, since it hasn't been seen for years. Time will tell, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    I don't think Hattie was ever that obscure, even for a character that was removed in a week. He always seemed to be one of the worst kept secrets of Disney park history. What makes him appealing in my opinion is the mysterious quality to him (and I think there's a difference between obscure and mysterious) that was generated by his early removal combined with how confusing he made the Attic scene with his absence.
    I can't agree with this. Until the early 90s it was "Hatbox who?" Only HM fans knew about him, mainly the ones who had the record album(s) and still remembered those souvenirs fondly (i.e., hadn't forgotten about them entirely as the years had gone by). There was not yet any "fan base" in those pre-internet days. Most people had never heard of the HBG, and among those relatively few who had, the majority opinion was that he had never existed.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

One change to Connie that may well take place if/when HBG returns is that she'll get the red beating heart. The heartbeat was originally intrinsic to the head-vanishing gag, tying the two characters together. If his head just sort of vaguely fades back and forth, with no visual or audio connection to the bride, that would represent a complete re-invention of their relationship, which of course is possible.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    One change to Connie that may well take place if/when HBG returns is that she'll get the red beating heart. The heartbeat was originally intrinsic to the head-vanishing gag, tying the two characters together. If his head just sort of vaguely fades back and forth, with no visual or audio connection to the bride, that would represent a complete re-invention of their relationship, which of course is possible.
    perhaps they can make it where every time Constance pulls out her hatchet, the Hatbox Ghost's head disappears and reappears in the hatbox.

• Member of Baxter's Army

That is definitely possible, I mean you still hear the heartbeat so it's certainly probably there to ensue continuity between Constance and the earlier Brides and they likely intended Connie to have the beating heart but my guess is that it made Connie more visually busy so they decided to get rid of it. Of course it is possible that WDI has been working on improving the figure in the intervening years and are probably waiting for the budget to upgrade Connie and bring back HBG to more or less re-define the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Of course it is possible that WDI has been working on improving the figure in the intervening years and are probably waiting for the budget to upgrade Connie and bring back HBG to more or less re-define the scene.
    no need to upgrade Connie, just return a heartbeat bride!!! (one can dream...)

• Science Factual

I'm thinking maybe they rearrange the attic a little if HBG resurfaces.

Move Connie maybe?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendtheAtom View Post
    I'm thinking maybe they rearrange the attic a little if HBG resurfaces.

Move Connie maybe?
    What started all this speculation off when Constance was installed was the combination of her position being where the bride was when it opened in 1969 and Hatbox was across the track from her the entire length of his brief stay, where beating-heart had occupied since they removed him after a few weeks. So, that, plus the 'headless husbands' gag, mostly sparked the new wave of 'is Hatbox coming back???' since some of the groundwork seemingly laid for it at that point.

Additionally, with the two figures going at once, they would have to 'stagger' the action yes, i.e., his head vanishing when she raised the axe or said something, but I don't think having them be 'competing' for attention is a deal-breaker. That happens all the time with the action in the graveyard, or the ballroom, or all over the place in Pirates next door. As Walt said, it's like a cocktail party - you, the guest, choose what to focus on and that way the experience varies and there are layers of stuff to see.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    What started all this speculation off when Constance was installed was the combination of her position being where the bride was when it opened in 1969 and Hatbox was across the track from her the entire length of his brief stay, where beating-heart had occupied since they removed him after a few weeks. So, that, plus the 'headless husbands' gag, mostly sparked the new wave of 'is Hatbox coming back???' since some of the groundwork seemingly laid for it at that point.

Additionally, with the two figures going at once, they would have to 'stagger' the action yes, i.e., his head vanishing when she raised the axe or said something, but I don't think having them be 'competing' for attention is a deal-breaker. That happens all the time with the action in the graveyard, or the ballroom, or all over the place in Pirates next door. As Walt said, it's like a cocktail party - you, the guest, choose what to focus on and that way the experience varies and there are layers of stuff to see.
    Connie isn't exactly where the Original Bride was but I doubt they would have bothered moving her to the left side of the track were HBG's return not in the cards.

• en pace

Assuming our dear Hattie is brought back, and assuming that they will try to incorporate him within the current Connie tableau, how would that work? Massive difference of style aside... ...are they going to try to make him one of the current grooms? Or will he "be his own man"? Of course, I can (and will) hope that they change Connie, and maybe her grooms' tableaux, (although I don't hate those, the light does detract from the intended mood of the attic) or take it out altogether and return to the Beating Heart style bride. However, considering how much time and money went in to Connie and her cohorts, I doubt she's leaving anytime soon.

So, taking the long way back to my question: how could they credibly integrate Hattie in the current attic?
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

Quote Originally Posted by RequiesCat View Post
    Assuming our dear Hattie is brought back, and assuming that they will try to incorporate him within the current Connie tableau, how would that work? Massive difference of style aside... ...are they going to try to make him one of the current grooms? Or will he "be his own man"? Of course, I can (and will) hope that they change Connie, and maybe her grooms' tableaux, (although I don't hate those, the light does detract from the intended mood of the attic) or take it out altogether and return to the Beating Heart style bride. However, considering how much time and money went in to Connie and her cohorts, I doubt she's leaving anytime soon.

So, taking the long way back to my question: how could they credibly integrate Hattie in the current attic?
    Make Hattie Groom #6.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Make Hattie Groom #6.
    Yes, remember this from four years ago?

At this point, all this relic of ancient history shows is that the concept of Hattie as hubby #6 was on the radar screen.

It cannot have escaped WDI notice that DL Connie looks like Krap On A Stick™, so I expect a major overhaul for her in conjunction with any introduction of a HBG 2.0.

On a different note...

I got another batch of lovely old unpublishable data from regions beyond, and I can now confirm from ironclad evidence that all that stuff I've been spreading around about the original HHG mirror effect is true. New details: the curvy screen that was back-projected with "ghost images" was 40 feet long and 12 feet wide and was indeed a substitute for the originally planned ghosty-go-round, which must have hit a snag. The wavy screen effect was built in the middle of April 1969. I've updated my Hitchhikers in the Mirror post at the blog.

Another bit of micro-micro-trivia. The big spider-web through which the doombuggies descended to the load belt area until 2000 was made possible because the innermost ring of the orb-shaped web was actually a piece of shaped re-bar painted flat black, forming a sort of doorway. The other strands of the web were rope attached to this frame.

Also also, I played around trying to put together a gif based on the actual video of the rain in the windows in the portrait hall. Strictly FWIW, but it does show how the clouds move along behind the rain.

• en pace

It cannot have escaped WDI notice that DL Connie looks like Krap On A Stick™, so I expect a major overhaul for her in conjunction with any introduction of a HBG 2.0.
    *crosses fingers* If they do it, and do it well... I will be ecstatic!

Beautiful gif HBG2!

P.S. I know it's probably already been said, but you should compile all of your amazing, in-depth data, photos, and renderings into a book which we Mansion-obsessed may use for reference! Certainly, I'm not the only one here who considers you the foremost authority on the Mansion. There's so much information dispersed through seven, wonderfully lengthy threads and the Long Forgotten blog, among others, that quite a lot of digging is required to refresh oneself on topics previously discussed. However, considering how busy you are, this probably will remain in the realm of wishful thinking.

Book or not, thank you for your knowledge and the fruit of your labors.
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

Quote Originally Posted by RequiesCat View Post
    *crosses fingers* If they do it, and do it well... I will be ecstatic!

Beautiful gif HBG2!

P.S. I know it's probably already been said, but you should compile all of your amazing, in-depth data, photos, and renderings into a book which we Mansion-obsessed may use for reference! Certainly, I'm not the only one here who considers you the foremost authority on the Mansion. There's so much information dispersed through seven, wonderfully lengthy threads and the Long Forgotten blog, among others, that quite a lot of digging is required to refresh oneself on topics previously discussed. However, considering how busy you are, this probably will remain in the realm of wishful thinking.

Book or not, thank you for your knowledge and the fruit of your labors.
    Well, thanks. There's no real chance of getting Disney to okay publication of so much of their copyrighted material in a book ("fair use" at a blog is different), especially after my PLQ blasts, so the best case scenario for anyone demanding a book would be a samizdat edition created by screen capping and home publishing. Of course that would be illegal, and I of course most sternly disapprove, but if someone did that, I wouldn't necessarily know about it or be able to stop them if I did.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM