Page 508 of 599 FirstFirst ... 8408458483498505506507508509510511518533558 ... LastLast
Results 7,606 to 7,620 of 8981
  1. #7606

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    It cannot have escaped WDI notice that DL Connie looks like Krap On A Stick™, so I expect a major overhaul for her in conjunction with any introduction of a HBG 2.0.
    I am honestly astounded they kept the DL Connie in her original form for this long. Heck, I remember in 2007 during the WDW Re-Haunting a WDI Press Release actually boasting how much better the 2007 WDW Bride was than the one in Disneyland. I can understand the idea of waiting to unveil HBG to update the DL figure but the current Bride has been looking progressively worse each year since 2006. I would think the constant removal of the figure for HMH each year played a big role in why it has been difficult to properly line the projector up right. In an ideal world I would Make Constance a AA-Leota Effect hybrid.

  2. #7607

    • en pace
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The family plot
    Posts
    115

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Ah, I see. I forgot all about that pesky legal stuff!

    They sure are sensitive about that PLQ! Well... at least they tried. Did they succeed? No. But if they could fix a few things, then perhaps we wouldn't give them such a hard time. That is, unless "fixing" to them means more of the same noisy business. In that case leave it alone.

    I am honestly astounded they kept the DL Connie in her original form for this long. Heck, I remember in 2007 during the WDW Re-Haunting a WDI Press Release actually boasting how much better the 2007 WDW Bride was than the one in Disneyland.


    You'd think at least for pride's sake they would try to keep things up at DLR, rather than let themselves be outdone by WDW.
    Last edited by RequiesCat; 08-30-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Adding second response.
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2




  3. #7608

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by RequiesCat View Post
    Ah, I see. I forgot all about that pesky legal stuff!

    They sure are sensitive about that PLQ! Well... at least they tried. Did they succeed? No. But if they could fix a few things, then perhaps we wouldn't give them such a hard time. That is, unless "fixing" to them means more of the same noisy business. In that case leave it alone.



    You'd think at least for pride's sake they would try to keep things up at DLR, rather than let themselves be outdone by WDW.
    PLQ was specifically designed as a way to distract Guests from the fact that those who reserved a Doombuggy 180 days prior get to go in first for the "Preferred" experience. It's basically meant as a distraction so the masses won't realize they are being ripped off. A giant noisy sensory assaulting cattle pen that almost taunts you for not reserving your Fastpass+ for Mansion several months earlier. They are basically saying "Be sure to book your ride on The Haunted Mansion using one of your 3 Fastpass+'s at the specific time on the specific day 5 months in advance or you will be going through PLQ. I predict that Disney's Next Gen initiative and Fastpass+ in particular will be a Public Relations disaster that will make New Coke look like the greatest idea ever.
    Last edited by HMF; 08-30-2013 at 12:23 PM.

  4. #7609

    • en pace
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The family plot
    Posts
    115

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    PLQ was specifically designed as a way to distract Guests from the fact that those who reserved a Doombuggy 180 days prior get to go in first for the "Preferred" experience. It's basically meant as a distraction so the masses won't realize they are being ripped off. A giant noisy sensory assaulting cattle pen that almost taunts you for not reserving your Fastpass+ for Mansion several months earlier.
    In that context PLQ makes way more sense - the whole, noisy, "look-at-me, look-at-me!" mess of things, which was meant to distract and assuage, now (as HMF said) taunts and (IMO) punishes.

    They are basically saying "Be sure to book your ride on The Haunted Mansion using one of your 3 Fastpass+'s at the specific time on the specific day 5 months in advance or you will be going through PLQ. I predict that Disney's Next Gen initiative and Fastpass+ in particular will be a Public Relations disaster that will make New Coke look like the greatest idea ever.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by RequiesCat; 08-30-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Tryin' to keep up with HMF's edits!
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2




  5. #7610

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    93

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    In an ideal world I would Make Constance a AA-Leota Effect hybrid.
    I'm not sure this would be an improvement. I think one of the reasons why the projection effect works so well for Leota and the singing busts, but so mediocrely for Constance, is that with Leota and the busts the projection effect is really all there is to the character, so you accept it as a self-contained unit. With Constance, there's a full dressmaker's form and gown visible that is clearly made of different stuff than the projection, so it reads very obviously as a projection on a dummy. The only example of a projection/AA hybrid I can think of is the Buzz Lightyear animatronic at AstroBlasters, and I've always found him to be very off-putting for the same reason I just described; he looks like a projection on an animatronic dummy, rather than a self-contained character.

  6. #7611

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,550

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    I don't know how far back one needs to speculate in order to explain something like PLQ. There is first of all the question of what PLQ is, and then the question of why it is what it is. The answer to the first is the best clue to answering the second.

    The "what" is not as subjective a judgment as you might think. It is a matter of objective fact that PLQ is relentlessly self-referential, as I keep saying. It forces the viewer to regard the Haunted Mansion not as a haunted house but as "Disney's Haunted Mansion." There are references to hidden Imagineering tributes precisely as tributes, no longer hidden but now show elements. There are references to unused Imagineering concepts and to popular show elements like the organ banshees and the raven. It has new characters and backstory development, but the real problem isn't those but the self-conscious references to "the wonderful world of Disney's Haunted Mansion attraction and the geniuses who made it." As I say in my review, when artworks become self-referential, it is always a sign of decadence. Great technical craftsmanship and stylistic flair can still appear in decadent works, and in fact often do, because those are the only paths of excellence still open to the artists, but it doesn't change the fact that decadent they are.

    As for the "why," it's because a critical mass of the WDI brain trust is convinced that the parks must be turned into interactive video games or a whole generation of paying customers will be lost, and (horrors!) maybe the generations that follow, ad infinitum. In the case of the HM, it's hard to make it into a toy to play with without utilizing self-referential show icons as game elements. "Oh look, the hitchhiking ghosts! Blast 'em with the ghost zapper!" When you pander in order to entertain, you are decadent. Something has died and you're seeing the decay.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  7. #7612

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Juniper Hills, CA
    Posts
    423

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Speaking of interactive... word is the plan for the new and improved HBG effect is for when his head disappears it will re-appear....wait for it....on the screen of your mobile device.

    Also planned are for the CGI HH Ghosts to be installed with a similar trick in that the will literally "follow you home" on your mobile device where you can enjoy the experience of the attraction at home after your vacation has ended.





    Just kidding! Hope I didn't scare any of you too badly!

  8. #7613

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I don't know how far back one needs to speculate in order to explain something like PLQ. There is first of all the question of what PLQ is, and then the question of why it is what it is. The answer to the first is the best clue to answering the second.

    The "what" is not as subjective a judgment as you might think. It is a matter of objective fact that PLQ is relentlessly self-referential, as I keep saying. It forces the viewer to regard the Haunted Mansion not as a haunted house but as "Disney's Haunted Mansion." There are references to hidden Imagineering tributes precisely as tributes, no longer hidden but now show elements. There are references to unused Imagineering concepts and to popular show elements like the organ banshees and the raven. It has new characters and backstory development, but the real problem isn't those but the self-conscious references to "the wonderful world of Disney's Haunted Mansion attraction and the geniuses who made it." As I say in my review, when artworks become self-referential, it is always a sign of decadence. Great technical craftsmanship and stylistic flair can still appear in decadent works, and in fact often do, because those are the only paths of excellence still open to the artists, but it doesn't change the fact that decadent they are.

    As for the "why," it's because a critical mass of the WDI brain trust is convinced that the parks must be turned into interactive video games or a whole generation of paying customers will be lost, and (horrors!) maybe the generations that follow, ad infinitum. In the case of the HM, it's hard to make it into a toy to play with without utilizing self-referential show icons as game elements. "Oh look, the hitchhiking ghosts! Blast 'em with the ghost zapper!" When you pander in order to entertain, you are decadent. Something has died and you're seeing the decay.
    I completely agree. WDI has slowly drifted through the years into Self-Referential Humor. It's kinda like those behind the scenes jokes in Mel Brooks Movies where in order to locate the heroes, The villains watch a tape of the movie and things like that where the film deliberately does not take itself seriously. That's fine in the world of comedy but in something like Haunted Mansion where you are supposed to believe everything without any contradictions and immerse yourself in what is presented, that formula just does not work. The primary reason for the PLQ is exist is a combination of the "Interactivity" obsession Disney has and the fact that it was designed as a way to distract people from the fact that they are in an artificially inflated line as a direct result of the Fastpass+ system which is basically a reservation system where you pay for the privilege of a shorter (And more thematically appropriate in this case) line . It's a haves and have nots-type system and a blatant money-grab.

  9. #7614

    • Science Factual
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    InnerSpace
    Posts
    107

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    when artworks become self-referential, it is always a sign of decadence. Great technical craftsmanship and stylistic flair can still appear in decadent works, and in fact often do, because those are the only paths of excellence still open to the artists, but it doesn't change the fact that decadent they are.
    ++1

    Please don't ever stop doing what yr doing

    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I It's kinda like those behind the scenes jokes in Mel Brooks Movies where in order to locate the heroes, The villains watch a tape of the movie.
    Prepare ship for... Ludicrous Speed!

    Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    The only example of a projection/AA hybrid I can think of is the Buzz Lightyear animatronic at AstroBlasters, and I've always found him to be very off-putting for the same reason I just described; he looks like a projection on an animatronic dummy, rather than a self-contained character.


    Agreed. If D23 HBG is 'it', it'd make sense that it wouldn't help Connie's case very much. I'd be interested in thinking aloud if this means the 'death' of The current Constance.

    Assuming of course HBG is on his way

  10. #7615

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Is this crate near the entrance to the Florida Mansion, new?

  11. #7616

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    93

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Is this crate near the entrance to the Florida Mansion, new?
    It's been there since at least November 2012; so, relatively newish.

  12. #7617

    •   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,039

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    A more subtle nod to Rolly is always good with me, regardless of your feelings over the 'Gracey Manor' back and forth thematic discussion. It can just been as a tribute to Yale there if you think of it like such, and the man certainly deserves it.

  13. #7618

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    107

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
    Speaking of interactive... word is the plan for the new and improved HBG effect is for when his head disappears it will re-appear....wait for it....on the screen of your mobile device.

    Also planned are for the CGI HH Ghosts to be installed with a similar trick in that the will literally "follow you home" on your mobile device where you can enjoy the experience of the attraction at home after your vacation has ended.



    Just kidding! Hope I didn't scare any of you too badly!
    LOL...I was SOOO literally ready to post a 'words cannot convey how much I LOATHE this!!!' response...thanks, very creative scare, there...worthy of the Mansion itself...

    On a related note, would anyone else just love it to death if Disney made NO mention or did NO advance press RE Hattie's return, should he really materialize in the attic again? They just pop him back in, open up for visitors as usual...and wait for the reactions/buzz to spread like CRAZY...then they claim they had NOTHING to do with it, saying 'He must have decided to come home on his own!'...

    Would be the most memorable/effective/fun way to do it, I think...
    Karstens Creations - Original Art & Custom Dreams



    http://www.karcreat.com

  14. #7619

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    107

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    As you guys are all experts on all things HM (and dark rides in general, I have seen) and I value your opinions, I would love to hear any feedback you may have to offer on the progress I've made with my 'mini dark ride' sequence, 'Haunted Nursery'...

    It still needs more details (toys and items on the floor, dirty/torn wallpaper, etc), but considering the fact that this sequence is my first ever attempt at doing a Pepper's Ghost effect (several at once, actually), I'm pretty happy with it so far...





    Thanks in advance!
    Karstens Creations - Original Art & Custom Dreams



    http://www.karcreat.com

  15. #7620

    • Science Factual
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    InnerSpace
    Posts
    107

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by karcreat View Post
    On a related note, would anyone else just love it to death if Disney made NO mention or did NO advance press RE Hattie's return, should he really materialize in the attic again?
    They've sure done a lot for HBGs non-return.

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5
    By CaitlinMcFly in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2077
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 02:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2011
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
  3. Replies: 2544
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •