Page 509 of 584 FirstFirst ... 9409459484499506507508509510511512519534559 ... LastLast
Results 7,621 to 7,635 of 8759

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    A more subtle nod to Rolly is always good with me, regardless of your feelings over the 'Gracey Manor' back and forth thematic discussion. It can just been as a tribute to Yale there if you think of it like such, and the man certainly deserves it.
    I wouldn't really say it's a back and forth argument. The argument is whether Master Gracey is the Ghost Host which he is not. The Master of the house in the Dorian Gray portrait has been more or less officially dubbed as Master Gracey. My way of making sense of it is that the most recent Master of the House was indeed named Gracey and prior to that it belonged to George Hightower and ownership was transferred to Constance, and maybe the Dread Family before that. (As to how the Dreads fit into the same "Real" world as the rest of the characters) I think of their busts as caricatures made by an artist at the time and not literal depictions.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by karcreat View Post
    As you guys are all experts on all things HM (and dark rides in general, I have seen) and I value your opinions, I would love to hear any feedback you may have to offer on the progress I've made with my 'mini dark ride' sequence, 'Haunted Nursery'...

It still needs more details (toys and items on the floor, dirty/torn wallpaper, etc), but considering the fact that this sequence is my first ever attempt at doing a Pepper's Ghost effect (several at once, actually), I'm pretty happy with it so far...
    Nice work and a lot of really cool stuff going on there - the sound design/soundtrack is very good, is it present when filmed in the 'scene' or added to the video? I like the shadow girls effect a lot, and the fluttering curtains and changing portrait are great. My one minor critique is I think the motion/actions of the babies playing with the ball mirror each other too frequently/looks 'non-organic', but that's just from studying it closely since it's a relatively short loop, seems like.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendtheAtom View Post
    They've sure done a lot for HBGs non-return.
    Or have they? He's a delightfully creepy graphic image they've used on a more or less regular basis since the Mansion's opening. Lately they've discovered that he sells more merchandise/generates web buzz so they've used him a bit more.

• Inhospitable about happy

Some further random ruminations over the new data...

I'm really surprised at how soon the original family plot graveyard was taken out, but the documentation is ironclad.

Among other things, it means that when the Osmonds special was filmed, the little graveyard was already doomed, and it was gone less than six weeks after the show aired on March 22, 1970.

It's ironic, then, that the cemetery was used for all the newspaper publicity shots.

By the time the show was rerun later in the year, it showed something already gone.

And in the micro-micro-micro trivia department, it always seemed to me that the "DEAD END" sign was not there the first time we saw the HM, during opening week. It was "Hey, that's new," the next visit or so. The new documentation substantiates this: the sign was not there originally.

For some reason, everyone remembers this sign with unusual fondness and misses it. (It was removed, you will recall, when they took out the little wall it was attached to during a remodel several years ago to make the evacuation of wheelchair folks easier during a 101.) I keep expecting it to suddenly show up for auction some day and fetch an eyebrow-raising price.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

I would to love have a sign like that on my door.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Speaking of the 'old graveyard' in the queue area, and with the discussion not terribly long ago about the plans first regarding that walled structure that was up during the construction phrase planned as yet another cemetery, enjoy this shot I took of the possibly-significant wall-topper (something only a Thread enthusiast would love):

And here's some of that lovely 'decay' coloration foliage.

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Or have they? He's a delightfully creepy graphic image they've used on a more or less regular basis since the Mansion's opening. Lately they've discovered that he sells more merchandise/generates web buzz so they've used him a bit more.
    Absolutely True, however at D23 tho there was ALOTTA HBG references.

Like, a lot

Those are nice pix, Reg.

Since it IS the original long-forgotten Haunted Mansion effect, I'll give you a few more details about how the curved screen behind the two-way mirrors was constructed. Behold a crude drawing by me, but accurate enough. Obviously it's not to scale, as this screen went all the way from one side wall to the other, and all the way to the ceiling. As we already knew, this thing sat directly in front of the ghosty-go-round track. You take down the center dividing wall hiding the back half of the ggr oval track and you set up three projectors panning wispy ghosts from one side to the other. You craft a couple of pieces of 3/4" plywood on a bandsaw, add seven 2x4 legs for the bottom piece to stand on, and you tack on the scrim. You add new lighting (which is still there), including little spotlights in front of the buggies and fluorescent lighting behind them illuminating the wall, adjusting these until the images seen in the mirror are visible but transparent against the visual field outside of the buggies but washed out and invisible inside of them. The curves of the scrim were irregular and varied in size. Geek out, kids.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Some further random ruminations over the new data...

I'm really surprised at how soon the original family plot graveyard was taken out, but the documentation is ironclad.

Among other things, it means that when the Osmonds special was filmed, the little graveyard was already doomed, and it was gone less than six weeks after the show aired on March 22, 1970.

It's ironic, then, that the cemetery was used for all the newspaper publicity shots.

By the time the show was rerun later in the year, it showed something already gone.

And in the micro-micro-micro trivia department, it always seemed to me that the "DEAD END" sign was not there the first time we saw the HM, during opening week. It was "Hey, that's new," the next visit or so. The new documentation substantiates this: the sign was not there originally.

For some reason, everyone remembers this sign with unusual fondness and misses it. (It was removed, you will recall, when they took out the little wall it was attached to during a remodel several years ago to make the evacuation of wheelchair folks easier during a 101.) I keep expecting it to suddenly show up for auction some day and fetch an eyebrow-raising price.

They really should bring back the gravestones in some form. Of course they will interpret that as an excuse to bring PLQ to Anaheim so forget I said anything.

Why they don't bring back the berm graveyard is beyond me. Speaking of which, I put together a montage of all the stones we know of that were part of that cemetery at one point or another during its lengthy career. We know about ten of them. Whether there were still others, I don't know.

• Evil is Sexy

I KNOW my parents have photos of that berm from the 80's/90's in their family vacation albums. I'll have to see if I can snag some scans when I visit them next.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    I KNOW my parents have photos of that berm from the 80's/90's in their family vacation albums. I'll have to see if I can snag some scans when I visit them next.
    O yeah. Do.

I'm still unpacking items from the new treasure trove of material that has come my way. Some new secrets of the original attic will be coming up soon.

• en pace

O yeah. Do.

I'm still unpacking items from the new treasure trove of material that has come my way. Some new secrets of the original attic will be coming up soon.

New secrets?! It's a funny and wonderful thing, that we can feel as though we've discussed everything there is to discuss about the Mansion, five times over, and yet there are still new things being found out. Amazing!

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."
    - A.A. Milne

"I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

• en pace

Why they don't bring back the berm graveyard is beyond me. Speaking of which, I put together a montage of all the stones we know of that were part of that cemetery at one point or another during its lengthy career. We know about ten of them. Whether there were still others, I don't know.

Looking at this picture just now, it struck me, the lack of females in the family graveyard. (The crypts don't count as they are too vague to tell, one way or another.) Was it just that there were no lady imagineers working on the Mansion, to pay tribute to? Or does a woman's death come off as more tragic, like a child's death was considered too dark, thus clashing with the humor of the witty epitaphs? (This is only in reference to the family plot, since they obviously had no problem with dead ladies throughout the rest of the attraction.)

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."
    - A.A. Milne

"I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

I went over to Google today, and searched for "Sable ranch film location" and I got a map of where it is located in California. When I looked at the arial view, I saw a small lake, and just south of that lake, it appeared that the HM movie set is STILL sitting over there, but I couldn't zoom in to see. It looks like the structure is what remains of the HM, but it was fuzzy and hard to tell, but it looked like it.
    Does anyone know if it is still there, and did they have the front hall built into the actual outside set?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM