Page 512 of 558 FirstFirst ... 12412462502509510511512513514515522 ... LastLast
Results 7,666 to 7,680 of 8362

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Good point about the common cultural background to the Death on horseback imagery. I think that a lot of these interpretations go along with the BGGB genre. He's a scary, bloodthirsty, half-mad horseman, but just as "the moonlight shows us for what we really are" in POTC (i.e., not the ordinary mortal humans they appear to be), so the lightning shows this horseman to be an incarnation* of Death, something far more dreadful than a merely human villain. It's very difficult for me to see the transformation as a comeuppance, a stroke of divine justice striking him down, a reminder that even the strongest man is mortal, etc. The skeletal form is still too vigorous and undiminished. If the latter readings were the sort of thing Marc intended, I would at least expect to see the rider's hand opened, losing his grip on his sword, an easy and obvious way to indicate loss of power. You see this all the time in comic book art, etc. It's a cliché. A guy gets shot/zapped/whatever, and at that very moment his hand weapon is shown floating for a microsecond in mid-air, still there between the now-opened fingers and thumb of the hand that was gripping the weapon a microsecond earlier. Such an easy way to show us that the horseman is going down.

*Hmm, on reflection, "incarnation" seems a poor word choice, as there's so little carne left here. Maybe "avatar" would be a more appropriate term.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• en pace

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Last edited by RequiesCat; 09-05-2013 at 08:53 PM.

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."
    - A.A. Milne

"I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

A couple of old depictions of Death as a skeleton on a skeletal horse. The first is Conquest, one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. The second is an 18th magic lantern slide.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Nice work and a lot of really cool stuff going on there - the sound design/soundtrack is very good, is it present when filmed in the 'scene' or added to the video? I like the shadow girls effect a lot, and the fluttering curtains and changing portrait are great. My one minor critique is I think the motion/actions of the babies playing with the ball mirror each other too frequently/looks 'non-organic', but that's just from studying it closely since it's a relatively short loop, seems like.
    Hi, and thank you for the comments, I really appreciate the feedback...

The soundtrack was edited in afterwards, yes...as it's just a miniature, the only real sound present at the time of my filming it was the air conditioner in my office, LOL...

I agree RE the babies...but after searching for a potential 'loop' I could edit (online, via stock footage websites) the best I could locate was the small snippet you see...which had to be hand painted, frame by frame, to achieve the 'glow' affect and 'blue' coloration, with black BG added to each frame too...maybe it's 'non-organic' look is...ummm...more CREEPY and unnatural? (are you buying that at all?...

Thanks again...very pleased to read your comments!
    Karstens Creations - Original Art & Custom Dreams

http://www.karcreat.com

• the rockawho?

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I seriously doubt that HBG would debut in a HMH. They don't need something to boost attendance when HMH comes to town. The reason it's still with us is that people like it and ridership goes up. And what would they do, leave out the snake? They'd just make extra work and unnecessary headaches for themselves. Better to wait until January if it's in the cards at all.

i understand your point.....

the hbg is definitely not needed for the HMH since it is one of the most popular attractions during this particular holiday event....i figured the HBG may add an additional boast in sales which will look good for shareholders and the corporate people....they can say there was an increase for this year's event...

i heard they got a new managing team due to the last year's situation with the candlelight services affecting sales on main street....maybe the new team is trying to push harder to increase revenue this year...corporate disney...

also, the snake can still be placed at the exit...The HBG can be placed anywhere in the attic....it may be a headache, but the higher ups may be get the ultimate say.....

i guess we will see in a week or in January.....

the tarot card posted reminded me of the concept art

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Here is how the new entrance looks at night.
    We can't see the image...

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    We can't see the image...
    Odd, well here is the thread on Magic that has all the info on it.
    Haunted Mansion has glowing entrance signs now | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt Disney World discussion forums

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    The problem was that the image was hotlinked from WDWMagic's servers, and they won't let you load a full-sized picture unless you're a member at WDWMagic. At first I couldn't see it either, but then I created an account at WDWMagic, and magically the picture appeared .

The poster says that the lights are "very bright," which is how they look in the photo. As everyone knows, nothing says "haunted house" like a flashing neon sign.

• Science Factual

The poster says that the lights are "very bright," which is how they look in the photo. As everyone knows, nothing says "haunted house" like a flashing neon sign.
    Maybe some bubbles...

I'm getting some feedback from another source that says the photo does NOT do the signage justice. It's not glaringly bright but looks okay, says he.

I guess you could truthfully say that the new entrance to PLQ is not too bright.

• Science Factual

so the lightning shows this horseman to be an incarnation* of Death, something far more dreadful than a merely human villain.
    *Hmm, on reflection, "incarnation" seems a poor word choice, as there's so little carne left here. Maybe "avatar" would be a more appropriate term.
    This was always my interpretation of the Horseman Potrait. His 'job' was bring to Death and terror on a very large scale (via lobbing heads off etc). Someone capable of such carnage is only capable of such inhumanity because he's in fact more evil than any human is capable of. And with more Carne. :-p

• Member of Baxter's Army

I'm getting some feedback from another source that says the photo does NOT do the signage justice. It's not glaringly bright but looks okay, says he.

I guess you could truthfully say that the new entrance to PLQ is not too bright.
    I usually interpret that as "Not quite as objectionable but still objectionable". I am sure that this (as well as PLQ) is seen by WDI as the "Least objectionable approach" To what management has already decided they want and is more a reflection of Management than WDI.
    Last edited by HMF; 09-05-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Wink Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post
    it is a matter of time when he will reappear....my guess is this Halloween Version....too many hints these past few months....

i forgot to mention in the Imagineering section at D23...you had to stand in this presentation room, and one of the first things they showed was a cgi hatbox ghost ....."we just about lost our heads trying to get this guy to work"....check video below

he may not fit with the Nightmare Before Christmas theme, but it will be a great "surprise"...maybe a test trial to see how fans and guests react to his newly presence or reappearance...making him seasonal for now is a safe bet....not gambling much since they can easily remove him come january....

the attic seems to have one theme centering around constance and her deceased husbands....by adding him to the attic again...wont that imply he was one of her husbands (one that lost his head)?

also, like others said about the merchandise....his reappearance can be solely based on $$$$$$.....new merchandise opportunities..... potential ticket sales/ pass renewals may increase....perfect money grab for the mouse

there were a ton of fan fare over the d23 AA....maybe hoping it will turn into money signs

they brought back captain eo to try and get ticket sales to increase....

good call on the burton cane

at 3:27

I notice in the video at the :26 second mark, that the address going into the exhibit is 1401. Could this be for January 2014 ? More grist for the mill ...

Here's hoping that we get the original hatbox ghost and not the D23 version. Small, frail and creepy trumps big, menacing and cartoonish every time.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

1401 Flower Street is the actual address of Imagineering in Glendale - nothing really hidden there, I fear.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM