Page 513 of 618 FirstFirst ... 13413463488503510511512513514515516523538563613 ... LastLast
Results 7,681 to 7,695 of 9257

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

The whole thing looks ridiculous... Too much junk in general at the entrance.

Name:  HMNewEntranceSigns.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  96.1 KB

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

New entrance signs at Disneyworld, Florida...I don't like them, personally...why fix what wasn't broken?

New Haunted Mansion entrance signage for FastPass and Standby lines - Photo 1 of 4
    Karstens Creations - Original Art & Custom Dreams

http://kkarstens.wix.com/karstenscreations

I hope you don't mind, bigcatrik...but your wonderful 3D pics inspired me to create a 3D video depicting what I picture the Haunted Mansion would have been like around the week it opened (so yes, Hattie and one of the better, scarier brides are featured)...all in 3D (tho YOUR 3D pics are much better than the ones I attempted to make online with a free converter tool), including the stereo sound...hope you all like it...

• Inhospitable about happy

I've got MORE INFORMATION for that sorta superpost a couple pages back. You will recall that we now know there was a plastic screen or sheet ("nylon 6," it's called) stretched between attic posts in front of Beating Heart in the original attic.

Well, first of all, there is still a diagonal beam in the ceiling between the two posts, a remnant of the frame used for the original effect. Behold, an archaeological clue to what once was:

Here again is the location of the plastic screen:

Okay, THIS is new. That black wall back there cutting across at an angle? It wasn't originally going to be "invisible" (i.e., flat black) but a visible wall, looking like plaster, with chunks of the plaster fallen in places, exposing the brickwork beneath. The rectangular structure in the corner, actually housing an air conditioning duct, was going to look like brickwork left unplastered, like a chimney. In this sketch the red marks the chimney-brick structure, and the pale green is a faux plaster wall with brickwork showing through fallen patches on either side of Beating Heart.

I imagine the wall was much lighter (certainly not black), so you have to imagine the typical look of brickwork showing through gaps in an old plastered wall (a texture Disneyland loves to use). The bricks are a little too big in these sketches, but hey, it's just to give you a rough idea.

I'm reminded of the infamous sea-captain-and-wife effect Rolly and Yale came up with in 1959. You will recall that the idea was that the captain had bricked up his bride in a fireplace, and her ghost would appear from there to come out and haunt him (or his ghost, actually). Maybe it's nothing, but possibly this placement of Beating Heart in front of a brick-and-plaster structure adjoining a chimney is a dim echo of the original Rolly/Yale setting. That effect deeply impressed everyone who saw it and may have left a vivid visual impression that stayed on in the planning of the attic bride effect.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Great new info and surmising, HBG2! Very interesting indeed, thank you for your constant research into these obscurities.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I've got MORE INFORMATION for that sorta superpost a couple pages back. You will recall that we now know there was a plastic screen or sheet ("nylon 6," it's called) stretched between attic posts in front of Beating Heart in the original attic.

Well, first of all, there is still a diagonal beam in the ceiling between the two posts, a remnant of the frame used for the original effect. Behold, an archaeological clue to what once was:
    This is amazing info HBG2.

So out of curiosity, was the Nylon Screen placed in front of BH used to achieve some sort of effect (ala scrims), as far as you know? And you refer to the fact this screen was actually in the attic when it opened...

My curiosity is seriously piqued.

• Minion

The nylon screen could also explain why the bride's eyes and candle appeared so dim in the HBG film clip.

I'm virtually certain that the screening was there originally, in front of the bride. As I mentioned in the EARLIER POST, it explains perfectly what I remember being there. It was there to "fog up" her appearance, just like the scrims in the graveyard. It's amazing that ANYTHING of the bride showed in that film clip, and it proves she was plenty bright enough. That film in its entirety has not been posted (it's only 1 minute total), but there's a generous stretch of film of the graveyard, and you literally can't see anything. A total waste. The ballroom sequence in the film shows the windows and the chandelier (which is included with the released footage), but it continues with several seconds of the ballroom below, and the only thing that shows up is the birthday cake candles, just barely, and very murkily. Unless you guessed it, you wouldn't know what it was.

Lonesome Ghost tells me that other materials indicate that the brick facing was canceled and was probably never there. That would make sense. It's an unfinished attic, so why would anyone have plastered any exposed brickwork in there? And brick chimneys are fine, but there's nothing about the house front or back that would suggest brick walls anywhere in the structure. Architectural logic aside, it may be that they decided the bride needed a dark background to look good, and it was then that they eliminated the plastered wall look for a simple flat black invisibility.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Great new info and surmising, HBG2! Very interesting indeed, thank you for your constant research into these obscurities.
    My pleasure.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Time for me to beat yet another dead horse RE: the WDW Corpse Bride/Round Eyed Bride question starting at page 480 of this thread. If it is all too long, just read the bolded text to get the basic progression...

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    You mention in your story that the year was 1976 and that you mention that you remember that the Bride figure had piercing eyes. I am just curious if you can specify which of the first two Bride figures pictured you remember seeing in 76. (pic removed)

I know that memory can be a tricky thing for such minor details but it might help us zero in or at least get a better estimation of exactly when Corpse Bride was replaced by round-eyes, in WDW at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    HMF, I'ver been asking myself that question since that picture went up the first time and a time line was estimated. I haven't chimed in on it because I am not 100% sure. I hate giving opinion in a thread so dedicated to fact.

That being said, when I first saw these pics of Beating Heart, I immediately gravitated toward Corpse Bride. This is how the Attic Bride lives in my memory, except I remember her eyes being round and bright, but not quite as bright as Middle Bride 1. If I remember right the above representation of CB is an artist's tweak. Perhaps CB's eyes were brighter than those in the pic? Does anyone remember seeing CB, either at DL or WDW?

If so and her eyes were brighter than in this pic... well, I would say that WDW had CB in 1976. If not, my memory has created a more corpse-like bride and WDW had MB 1 in 1976.
    I asked my father to look at the bride lineup above. (Look carefuly, sir. Are any of these women the one you saw hiding in the shadows? Take your time.) I told him nothing of my memories so I woudn't contaminate his.

He also hates to make statements of "fact" when they are speculation or best recollection. He said the only thing he knew for sure was that the Bride he remembered definitely did NOT have a big halo of flowers.

I think that combined with my memories would point to a high likelihood of CB being the Attic Bride of the WDW mansion in February 1976.
    Well, if those who saw Corpse Bride were not even aware that she was different than Round Eyes, it would be "safe" to assume the eyes on CB were not significantly dimmer than those on RE. If so...

1) I remember those piercing eyes and feel like CB was most likely the bride I saw
    AND
    2) My father says he is certain there was no "halo" of flowers on the Attic Bride's head...

I would say the chance that the Attic Bride I saw in February 1976 in WDW's mansion was indeed CB is 99%!
    If the Corpse Bride in both HM's was rigged up the same, then we do have evidence, since film of the original HM Corpse Bride exists (if you want to call those few seconds of murk in the now-famous HBG footage "film of"). As I argue at the blog, you can only see the eyes in one frame of film—just barely—but the candle tip and red heart are plainly visible in the film. This suggests that the eyes were not very bright.
    Well... crap! That means one of three things...

1) My memory is putting brighter eyes on the bride than I thought and Dad's memory of no flower "halo" is right (Corpse Bride)

2) Dad's memory of no flower "halo" is faulty and my memory of brighter eyes is right (Round Eyes)

3) We are both confused (Could be either bride)

*sigh* Right back where we started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Not necessarily. The Corpse Bride could have received an upgrade of brighter eyes at some point... Not unheard of, as through many trip reports we hear of various, similar little tweaks. Not saying she did or didn't - just that it was entirely possible.
    And now add in the new info about the plastic sheet/scrim "originally" in front of the bride...

I'm virtually certain that the screening was there originally, in front of the bride. As I mentioned in the EARLIER POST, it explains perfectly what I remember being there. It was there to "fog up" her appearance, just like the scrims in the graveyard. It's amazing that ANYTHING of the bride showed in that film clip, and it proves she was plenty bright enough. That film in its entirety has not been posted (it's only 1 minute total), but there's a generous stretch of film of the graveyard, and you literally can't see anything. A total waste. The ballroom sequence in the film shows the windows and the chandelier (which is included with the released footage), but it continues with several seconds of the ballroom below, and the only thing that shows up is the birthday cake candles, just barely, and very murkily. Unless you guessed it, you wouldn't know what it was.
    Okay, so now that we know 1) there was likely a plastic sheet/scrim obscuring the bride in the now-famous HBG video, 2) the sheet/scrim in the DLR attic would have been removed at a later date, and 3) the sheet most likely would not have been installed at WDW, can we say it is possible the eyes would have appeared brighter at DLR after the alteration and always appeared brighter at WDW? If so, my memory may be saying we are back to a possible Corpse Bride at WDW in 1976.
    Last edited by Attic Haunt; 09-09-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Fix a broken quote

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Science Factual

Yes!! Exactly my point!'

This explains why the diff interpretation of the BHs eyes from the same time period.

Maybe her eyes never changed at all, it would only appear that way

I realize this may be a lot to ask, but is there a chance that anyone has any decent photos of the attic window the Doombuggies exit through to 'fall' down to the graveyard?

I need the view from inside the attic...I am attempting to recreate the attic scene in miniature/CGI projection, so I can film a version featuring Hattie...just for fun...

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendtheAtom View Post
    Yes!! Exactly my point!'

This explains why the diff interpretation of the BHs eyes from the same time period.

Maybe her eyes never changed at all, it would only appear that way
    What we know:

Both HMs started off with CB, but we don't know exactly when they were changed. The dated photos we now have prove that she was still at DL in 1975 but was definitely gone by 1990. We know she was definitely gone from WDW by 1989. Beyond that, all dating is still conjecture.

Remember that for most of her run at DL, CB was not behind any kind of veil. She was only behind it for a month or so. And screen or no screen, her eyes were originally not as bright as her candle tip. You can see the latter but not the former (except for one frame) in the HBG footage.

So, then, I sumise that "CB" is the attic bride? "Crying bride" perhaps? I have only known her as the attic bride. And, I have a video that I took of her in 1995, so she was there at DL at that time.

Just a FYI

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

CB = Corpse Bride, the first bride that had a corpse-like appearance (and almond-shaped eyes in pictures). RB = Round-eyed Bride, or the bride with no discernable fetures and very bright round eyes.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM