Page 519 of 581 FirstFirst ... 19419469509516517518519520521522529569 ... LastLast
Results 7,771 to 7,785 of 8712

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Well, my favorite was April/December... Of what is left, I'd have to say Alligator Gal.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by PhonyKingOfEngland View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but is there anything else we can talk about?
    Those limited edition Hatbox Ghost shirts have finally started shipping. Just got mine yesterday.

Other then that, got nothing.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Pox-worthy since 1973

My favorite has to be our missing headless compadre, the HBG

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
    'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth"

~ Eric Idle, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

• Inhospitable about happy

Here's something nice. I finally found some half-way decent photos of the spider-and-web camouflaging the cracked glass in the ballroom.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

That reminds me. It wouldn't be out of place to list the most persistent false info about the HM. Most of it is terribly trivial, but there are a lot of "facts" that Mansion fans "know" that are untrue. If I were going to make a list, that bullet hole would be on it. Almost always you are told it was a BB gun or a pellet gun. Nope, it was a .22. You usually get some blather about having to take the roof off to replace the glass too, but we know that there's a spare stored inside. Virtually always you are told that the famous "Notice, All Ghosts and Restless Spirits" sign that hung out front in the years before the HM opened was put up in 1963. All the official stuff says so, and it's because the sign's author, Marty Sklar, keeps misremembering and repeating the wrong date. It went up in January '65. You're usually told the HBG was only there a few days, but we now know it was there for weeks (perhaps off and on). You're usually told that the building was an empty shell when it was constructed in '62. It wasn't. The elevators were there. Et cetera.

Kinda dumb, but it might be amusing to let them compete for the prize of "most persistent and most prevalent morsel of Mansion misinformation."

By the way, for those of you who know zippo about guns, a .22 is a real, honest to gosh gun, perfectly lethal to humans and other mid-size game. It must have been a .22 pistol. The shooter was apparently never caught, so it could have been a female, we don't know. And the idea that said shooter was mentally disturbed is simply an inference from what he/she did. Our shooter may have been nothing more than a rotter, pure and simple.

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    By the way, for those of you who know zippo about guns, a .22 is a real, honest to gosh gun, perfectly lethal to humans and other mid-size game. It must have been a .22 pistol. The shooter was apparently never caught, so it could have been a female, we don't know. And the idea that said shooter was mentally disturbed is simply an inference from what he/she did. Our shooter may have been nothing more than a rotter, pure and simple.
    Exactly. The 'what kind gun' (BB/pellet) seems to be the one thing most people wanna argue with me about, as far as casual HM trivia goes. Matter of fact I took a screenshot (pun?) of a previous explanation of HBG2s in a previous LF thread for reference. When I mention it was most likely a pistol, people think I'm crazier than they did moments previous.

Im curious though, does anyone have info on who/what/when developed Connie and the 2006 attic refurb they can point me to? I'm finding some parallel between 'Child of Glass' and Connie. Could just be coincidence, but hey... It's there.

edit:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0543727/

John B. Mansbridge is credited an Art Director on Child Of Glass.

Listed as Art department, Production designer, Art director on over 100 Disney TV and Film Projects for over 30 years, dating back to the Mid 50's

John B. Mansbridge worked on 1984's Frankenweenie by Tim Burton.

Although I have no subsantial proof currently, i think the connection between Inez Dumaine and Constance maybe a little more linear.
    Last edited by MyFriendtheAtom; 09-24-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Hypothesis

Mansbridge was art director for The Happiest Millionaire and The Incredible Journey. I'm not aware of him working with WDI, however. I'll check with Lonesome Ghost for names connected with Constance.

--------------

Another bit of HM trivia. You know how they use twisted metal safety railings in imitation of branches in the descent from the attic?

Well, the original plan was to use real branches from the trees, shaped into the railings.

• Member of Baxter's Army

That reminds me. It wouldn't be out of place to list the most persistent false info about the HM. Most of it is terribly trivial, but there are a lot of "facts" that Mansion fans "know" that are untrue. If I were going to make a list, that bullet hole would be on it. Almost always you are told it was a BB gun or a pellet gun. Nope, it was a .22. You usually get some blather about having to take the roof off to replace the glass too, but we know that there's a spare stored inside. Virtually always you are told that the famous "Notice, All Ghosts and Restless Spirits" sign that hung out front in the years before the HM opened was put up in 1963. All the official stuff says so, and it's because the sign's author, Marty Sklar, keeps misremembering and repeating the wrong date. It went up in January '65. You're usually told the HBG was only there a few days, but we now know it was there for weeks (perhaps off and on). You're usually told that the building was an empty shell when it was constructed in '62. It wasn't. The elevators were there. Et cetera.

Kinda dumb, but it might be amusing to let them compete for the prize of "most persistent and most prevalent morsel of Mansion misinformation."
    The one that pisses me off the most- Prior to 2006, The Bride was a completely different character officially named Emily, Priscilla, Elizabeth, pick one, and was tragic, etc. When in reality The original formulation of the Attic Scene was a clever piece of visually depicting a Nuptial Homicide and the Constance Saga is just a more explicit and literal depiction of the same.

• Science Factual

Mansbridge was art director for The Happiest Millionaire and The Incredible Journey. I'm not aware of him working with WDI, however. I'll check with Lonesome Ghost for names connected with Constance.

--------------
    Your effort and time is much appreciated HBG2.

From what we know publicly, The writer was Chris Goosman, Tom Fitzgerald and Eric Jacobson were the creative leads, Kathy Rogers was Producer and Neal Engal was Production Designer.

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    From what we know publicly, The writer was Chris Goosman, Tom Fitzgerald and Eric Jacobson were the creative leads, Kathy Rogers was Producer and Neal Engal was Production Designer.
    Your information and time is much appreciated. Thank you HMF!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    The one that pisses me off the most- Prior to 2006, The Bride was a completely different character officially named Emily, Priscilla, Elizabeth, pick one, and was tragic, etc. When in reality The original formulation of the Attic Scene was a clever piece of visually depicting a Nuptial Homicide and the Constance Saga is just a more explicit and literal depiction of the same.
    Also vague details of Ken Anderson's old "Priscilla and the Sea Captain" story concept finding their way out of Imagineering's walls resulting in Cast Members playing an extended game of Telephone and fans/people in charge of adaptations continuing the game from there.

It's that "Everybody tells the story of Hookhand differently" quality to the Haunted Mansion as an overall thing that keeps me from taking the idea of a single "Haunted Mansion Canon" seriously. The idea of "There was this marriage that didn't end well" keeps getting spun in so many ways from the early treatments to the various takes on the Attic scene to Phantom Manor to adaptations and the "Cast Member folk tradition". Hell, even Disney has trouble keeping the Connie story straight considering that horrid play at that one event, so that's another "version of Hookhand" to add to the pile.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Also vague details of Ken Anderson's old "Priscilla and the Sea Captain" story concept finding their way out of Imagineering's walls resulting in Cast Members playing an extended game of Telephone and fans/people in charge of adaptations continuing the game from there.

It's that "Everybody tells the story of Hookhand differently" quality to the Haunted Mansion as an overall thing that keeps me from taking the idea of a single "Haunted Mansion Canon" seriously. The idea of "There was this marriage that didn't end well" keeps getting spun in so many ways from the early treatments to the various takes on the Attic scene to Phantom Manor to adaptations and the "Cast Member folk tradition". Hell, even Disney has trouble keeping the Connie story straight considering that horrid play at that one event, so that's another "version of Hookhand" to add to the pile.
    I feel that had the HBG effect worked well to begin with then they would not have needed to re-stage the Attic so often because everyone or at least enough people to make a difference would have gotten the concept. Moving the Bride to Hattie's spot did end up fueling a lot of mis-information. Not that I blame the original Imagineers of course given the limits of technology at that time.

• the rockawho?

i went on the ride a few days ago...the cgi jack and ghost host is pretty cool, but hopefully it is only temporary....i prefer the actual ghost host swinging around

and......no hatbox ghost....so many hints..... ugh....hopefully in january....

not sure if this has been posted, but found this on ebay

Last edited by EvilRocketeer; 09-25-2013 at 01:42 AM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM