Page 522 of 605 FirstFirst ... 22422472497512519520521522523524525532547572 ... LastLast
Results 7,816 to 7,830 of 9070

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Thanks much for that update, Foxxy. Lots of good info in there. As for "poor reception to the Mansion queue," this is the first hint I've ever seen of that. Is that really their reading? My impression has been that PLQ detractors were numerically too few to matter, and that PLQ has been a hit with the general public.
    That's PR talk. the truth is the influence we have can be seen in PLQ itself with all the nods in our direction. I can all but guarantee you that they won't attempt to bring PLQ to Anaheim at least not in it's WDW form and if their MyMagic+ pet project alienates as many people as I believe it will, PLQ will most likely either be removed or significantly altered. If you alienate the people who care the most why would anyone else care.
    , For better or worse Orlando is the place where they do these types of experiments. Disneyland has a dedicated fanbase that cares about the place and it's legacy. WDW is trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator and it shows. However I do believe that is changing, The problem I see with the WDW fanbase is that rather than giving honest feedback Disney is actually paying them to spout PR talking points for them and thus the fanbase is afraid to say anything bad for fear of losing perks like access to WDI, Backstage passes etc.
    Last edited by HMF; 09-29-2013 at 07:07 PM.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

This, by the way, is why I think it is a good idea to protest long and loud against things we don't want. There are always those who say, "Disney isn't going to decide to do or not do something, based on chatboard grumbling or online petitions, so don't bother." I think that in weighing the pros and cons of suddenly questionable ventures like this one, the fact that they know that hardcore fans would be thrilled if they did NOT import these WDW features into DL is one of the weights in the balance, even if it isn't the biggest one. It might affect the tipping point in close decisions.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    This, by the way, is why I think it is a good idea to protest long and loud against things we don't want. There are always those who say, "Disney isn't going to decide to do or not do something, based on chatboard grumbling or online petitions, so don't bother." I think that in weighing the pros and cons of suddenly questionable ventures like this one, the fact that they know that hardcore fans would be thrilled if they did NOT import these WDW features into DL is one of the weights in the balance, even if it isn't the biggest one. It might affect the tipping point in close decisions.
    The only downside is that WDW is my Home turf so it is quite painful to see stuff like PLQ happen to my home park but I also would rather they experiment here than in Walt's park and it might very well be gone once management changes.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxxFur View Post
    Hey all!

Don't know if this was posted here, but Mike Lee uploaded this photo of the WDW load area which shows that originally it used the Disneyland Portrait Corridor wallpaper:

Attachment 32992

..which I thought was fun. I don't know when the red/white paper came in, I can remember it as far back as I've been going.

I walked through the interactive queue the other day and it's amazing how ratty it's gotten in... what? Two and a half years? The popping books are just plain off and a lot of the material the various setpieces are built out of has started to look crappy and weatherbeaten in the sun. The busts never came online, nor did the proposed decor additions to the ride (I know WDI commissioned a bunch of stuff that will apparently never be seen, including a painting of the Headless Horseman to appear in the library).

According to a friend of mine who is generally reliable, all of the WDW interactive queues have been cancelled. Pirates of the Caribbean, set for last October, quietly never happened. There's been no movement on Peter Pan's Flight or Small World. Supposedly a combination of poor reception to the Mansion queue, operational challenges at the Dumbo queue, cost overruns at the Big Thunder Queue (which I actually really like) and high maintenance costs put the kibosh on them. Disney's "NextGen" initiative is now 120% overbudget and still a disaster, and the interactive queues are the fat that was trimmed. At D23 Expo, Tom Staggs was doing an about-face on NextGen at Disneyland, where suddenly he was saying that it was not a "one size fits all solution".

Apparently WDW didn't expect the beating guests subject the queue-pieces to and is balking at the bills. I wouldn't be surprised to see most of these "enhancements" scrapped entirely in the next ten years. Golf claps for Disney all around, please.

The CGI hitch-hikers also look kinda cruddy right now. They're hazy and supposedly the effect never quite worked as well as intended. I wouldn't be surprised to see that effect replaced as well eventually. WDW has proven themselves to be the grand masters of throwing good money after bad these past few years.
    I sense the hand of George Kalogridis in this, He is a devotee of the old Disney way but is politically savvy enough not to ruffle feathers at Burbank. Burbank is hell bent on pushing this NGE Experiment even though common sense-wise it makes little sense so George has to let aspects of NGE through in order to be allowed to do the good work that needs to be done at WDW and I respect that. I also have to continue to insist to our WDI Readers, we don't hate you, we might hate what you have been asked to do and how it was done but it's not personal. To Mr. Pete Carsillo in particular I understand and feel your passion for the Mansion and I respect that you did what you could with the orders you were given. I actually think your Big Thunder Mountain Queue works quite well because it fits it's environment. Haunted Mansion is a completely different animal though and I think you understand that. The blame for this mess goes to the forces in Burbank and Orlando's "one size fits all" mentality and forced this project on you and don't understand what they are in charge of.
    Regarding the Loading area wallpaper. I always sorta felt that the red and white wallpaper was too generic. The current setup works because it echoes the Original DL (and WDW) wallpaper but keeps it's own identity.
    Though this also makes me wonder if there were other elements like red lights and hands that might have been added later on since it appears that initially there were more direct Disneyland duplicates in the 71 Mansion then we previously thought. Maybe during the re-haunting they wanted to restore certain elements back to their 1971 conditions.
    Last edited by HMF; 09-29-2013 at 08:29 PM.

• Professional Obsessive

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Though this also makes me wonder if there were other elements like red lights and hands that might have been added later on since it appears that initially there were more direct Disneyland duplicates in the 71 Mansion then we previously thought. Maybe during the re-haunting they wanted to restore certain elements back to their 1971 conditions.
    The red globes over the CoD lights and hands are original; they're in the 1971 maintenance book.

The red globes over the CoD lights and hands are original; they're in the 1971 maintenance book.
    They should restore the red lights. They really made you feel claustrophobic. Maybe the creative team felt that the DL Lighting would work better with the glowing eye effect or it could of course be the WDI Disneyland Superiority complex. The hands don't make that much of a difference to me.
    Last edited by HMF; 09-29-2013 at 11:24 PM.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

I'm curious which maintenance book you're referring to that shows actual globe style choices.

• Professional Obsessive

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    I'm curious which maintenance book you're referring to that shows actual globe style choices.
    Hardcover, green book. About two inches thick. Dated 1971. Last few pages had all the old light fixtures, parts, numbers and assemblies.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

About 11X14 wide, first page has a letter from MAPO discussing where each copy was to go? The version I've seen from the opening doesn't have that last section, just animated figure assemblies.

• Professional Obsessive

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    About 11X14 wide, first page has a letter from MAPO discussing where each copy was to go? The version I've seen from the opening doesn't have that last section, just animated figure assemblies.
    Weird. Yeah, that's it. I used to go down to the maintenance pit during breaks and read it. I bet it's still there. Unless I'm misremembering and it's one of the other documents down there....

• Science Factual

^^^I'm at a geek level 9 right now btw.

We're not even a month into Haunted Mansion Holiday and I am missing the original so much.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    We're not even a month into Haunted Mansion Holiday and I am missing the original so much.
    you are definitely not alone

• Observer

Yes there is a replacement glass... but its not in the mansion, the ball room glass is one large peice and indeed they would need to cut the roof open to replace it..

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Oooh! CDW makes me wish we had a Fry's!
    If you're really desperate to have the nerdiest HM costume possible, I'm sure something can be arranged at cost plus shipping .

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendtheAtom View Post
    ^^^I'm at a geek level 9 right now btw.
    You're telling me - getting a look at a full maintenance manual is fairly high on my list of "things to do before I die".

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    I know what you mean, but I'm going to see HMH in person for the first time on October 11th (I'm a relatively recent West coaster), so I'd prefer if they waited at least until then to purge the interloper.

Quote Originally Posted by PozEmerald View Post
    Yes there is a replacement glass... but its not in the mansion, the ball room glass is one large peice and indeed they would need to cut the roof open to replace it..
    This thread has seen a lot of reliable people say otherwise regarding the spare...do you have any evidence? And as to it being all one large piece, this construction photo HBG2 posted would seem to say otherwise:
    Name:  d.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  150.9 KB

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM