Page 527 of 616 FirstFirst ... 27427477502517524525526527528529530537552577 ... LastLast
Results 7,891 to 7,905 of 9236

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by MLQ View Post
    Attachment 33271
    Of the many times I've seen the Florida Mansion, I've never noticed the cross before.

OK, so it really isn't a cross, but it sure looks like it from afar doesn't it?
    It's actually a fleur de lys with an elongated central spike.

Speaking of the WDW design, Foxxy has done us all a service by giving us for the first time a large scan of the illustration of the Lichten house, the main inspiration for that HM.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

If i'm not mistaken the Lichten House was part of Alexander Jackson Davis' Gothic Revival houses.

Name:  exteriorinspiration1.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  123.5 KB

Great blog on Florida facade.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

That artwork of the WDW inspiration is really nice - huzzah for FoxFurr, as always!

On the topic of Florida, I'll be visiting WDW for the first time since 2006 next month and have 9 days to explore, so expect a lot of documenting of Liberty Square and Mansion related tidbits and poking around the area in as much depth as can manage.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Professional Obsessive

You know I'm a Davis partisan but I've never ever been happy with any of his pieces for that door-hand gag... it comes off as really uninspired. I think this is because you can see the whole arm, it's too much... the version that was actually in the house was just about right because all you could really see of those hands were just the tips of the fingers.. the rest was hidden behind the door. Because you only had a second or so to process this information, it was a nice, creepy little surprise at the end of the hall. And of course, the shadow hand in the next room, which wipes from right to left at WDW in a line (instead of descending like the DLR version), implies that whatever it is has just gotten out and is now behind your car....

I keep hoping that some enterprising Imagineer or Maintenance cast member is able to bring them back. It's not a MAJOR thing, but the minor stuff matters too. Sadly I see no hope for the return of the red globes, Disney liquidated them a few years back.

I'm actually going to be dealing with exactly those concepts in an upcoming post (January) over at El Bloggo.

Now that we have a big Lichten we can waste time doing things like this! (I've colored it to maximize resemblance, so if one were to use this particular side-by-side to prove direct influence, they'd be using stacked deck.)

• Professional Obsessive

If anyone missed it (I doubt it, my blog is currently being attacked with numbers), I wrote far too much about the evolution of the FL facade here: *Passport to Dreams Old & New: Raising - or Lowering? - the Dead

I'm also going to paste my comment from the comments section here. Since you're all already ahead of the curve, it could be a nice way to kick off some discussion:

"Thanks for your responses.

Everyone has their own version of the "correct" answer to this story, but the overall point isn't so much to find a definitive answer as it is to point out that there may not be one. The water table theory doesn't hold water. The railroad tracks answer seems to be repudiated by the fact that we know that they intended to use elevators to begin with. And if budget was a concern, why did they start building the ride using the elevator arrangement to begin with?

The overall point is to challenge the baseline assumptions we can make about the FL house's design. There was nothing technically stopping them from using the lifts. The utilidor goes down far deeper than any Mansion stretch would've, and even in that deepest section there's elevators with pits. I also doubt money was an issue either - when you're digging out two entire lakes as part of your construction project, nobody's going to sweat over two cloned elevators. Once the menu of attractions/shops/hotels was decided on, WDW was one of the last Disney projects built under the "it'll cost what it'll cost" mentality of Walt's time.

For example, is the reason the first three scenes of the ride are situated on a slope because they were designed to sit on a single, level floor - much like the second floor of the existing DL Mansion - and had to be changed? The Library has a huge chandelier that's anchored to a wall with a thin wire to appear to hang straight down in a room that's situated on an angle, which is a weird choice to make if you don't have to make it. The cars move down a long slope, pass a piano, and immediate go up a huge staircase. Are we seeing the remnant of a compensation for a design that had to be rapidly changed?

I don't know, and I'm not prepared to make guesses. If we knew, for example, that the DL lifts were malfunctioning from the start, I'd be prepared to make a better guess, but I'm not. What we have is effects without known causes and a lot of guesses and assumptions papering over the rest.

Consider this: Had I suggested ten years ago that the Endless Hallway is a compromised version of an intended scene, I would've been called crazy. Now we've drowning in evidence that this is true. I submit that less is known about the FL Mansion than we think."

And...here's the argumentative comeback. We know they built two of everything because they knew they were going to have two HM's from the get-go. I wonder if this cloning became such automatic policy that none of the senior Imagineers woke up and realized that WDW wouldn't need such a complex system until the process had already reached a surprisingly advanced stage. I imagine a "Whoa, what the HELL are we doing?" face palm moment and a rapid simplification drawn up by red-faced project engineers. Weirder things have happened. Speculation is free.

• Mr. Ghost

It used to drive me crazy for years that the Magic Kingdom HM entrance was at ground level and not at the facade entrance. Thanks to FoxxFur's blog post, I think it would no be possible, due to: there's really no room in the facade, and in the early days, sunlight would come in and ruin the atmosphere of the foyer. But if they had more time and money, would it have been possible to put the entrance at the "front" door of the facade and still have the "sinking" stretch rooms just like DL?

• Mr. Ghost

I ran across this article on the history of dark rides while looking through my Facebook feed. Link comes via the Strange & Frightening Sounds page.

• Professional Obsessive

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    And...here's the argumentative comeback. We know they built two of everything because they knew they were going to have two HM's from the get-go. I wonder if this cloning became such automatic policy that none of the senior Imagineers woke up and realized that WDW wouldn't need such a complex system until the process had already reached a surprisingly advanced stage. I imagine a "Whoa, what the HELL are we doing?" face palm moment and a rapid simplification drawn up by red-faced project engineers. Weirder things have happened. Speculation is free.
    Yeah, after looking at everything (then looking at it again and again due to the various responses to the post), I'm convinced that there was probably a point where somebody said "why are we doing this anyway?" and that this instead of some odd free-floating incident was what caused the redesign. It could also be that the plan to use elevators was a kinda leftover concept from the Riverboat Square days, where the plan seems to have been to include the lift.

Still, there is a..... spatial integrity to the Disneyland method that the FL version loses. You sort of innately know that you're entering and exiting at the same place, unlike DL where it really does feel like that crypt is a freestanding separate structure and that you're in a very different place when you exit the house. For example, I always thought that the exit of the FL Mansion was the house's basement when I was a kid. The elevators at WDW would've retained a sense of difference and dislocation. There's also, of course, a value in being able to go right up to a house and walk inside it, and that's the biggest loss (and the biggest reason to argue for the elevators). So at the very least, it's worth knowing that this was, at least at one point, the plan.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The 'disconnect' between where you enter and where the 'front door' is indeed is interesting, I think - it keeps the tombstones along the entrance walkway off the front lawn as well, where they'd have to be naturally if intended for the guest to see them as entering. That would muddy the wide view from Liberty Square and make it look far more 'fantastical' from a distance and less real world - placed in context with the land around it, it would read theme park spookhouse slapping you across the face, potentially. Not sure how much of a role something like that played, but it certainly seems to me that the distance between the first more 'nondescript' concept Surrell identified and the finished brick, looming exterior was partly to make it look more outwardly 'menacing' - and that could also be a legacy of how fairly innocent the early Disneyland mansion looked to guests with children who got them inside the clean, well-kept plantation house and then found loud noises and darkness and ghouls and etc. So I would not be surprised if that somehow figured into the thinking along the line in the drastic style change, besides potentially pressing matters of elevator mechanics.

My take on where you exit has been indeed that it's kind of a cellar of some sort (the stone walls and high-up windows) - so the fact the entrance room was on the same level but was a lush receiving foyer is that much more incongruous if thought about in depth. At Phantom Manor of course they finally resolved it so it feels like the same structure more or less - you go up through the garden, onto the porch, in the front doors, and exit at the end from a wine cellar type space that reads as below the main doors.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

I like both entrances. My first experience was Magic Kingdom's. The fact that you enter into a basement in the hill through what I suppose is a servant's entrance (?) never bothered me. I think that's because it's how I've always known it since I was a kid. That said, walking through the front door in Disneyland and actually entering the house was quite an experience years later.

Not to interrupt an interesting discussion, but I have some delightful news.

We know that Marc Davis got his Medusa from Greek mythology, and there has long been a rumor that he had at least one other idea drawn from there: the transformation of Daphne into a laurel tree. The myth is much less known. It's from Ovid's Metamorphoses. In a nutshell, Apollo has offended Cupid, who gets his revenge by shooting Apollo and a young lady Naiad named Daphne with his arrows. It makes Apollo crazy with lust for Daphne and it makes her repelled by him. So he chases her. When he starts to catch her, she transforms into a laurel tree.

The Daphne myth has always been a very popular theme with artists.

Well, guess what? The rumors are true, and Davis actually did produce concept art for a changing portrait based on the Daphne transformation, and it has never been published before this moment.

Another one tossed over the transom by Lonesome Ghost.
    Why this myth? Visually, it's kind of freaky deaky. Maybe that all the reason Marc needed to try it out.
    Last edited by HBG2; 10-17-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Oh, wow, I like that one.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM