Page 528 of 728 FirstFirst ... 28428478503518525526527528529530531538553578628 ... LastLast
Results 7,906 to 7,920 of 10914

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

^ That reminds me of that scene in Hercules when the nymph turns into a tree

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Yeah, interesting. Another quasi-take on the Daphne myth. And actually, yeah, she's a Naiad, a kind of nymph. Gotta fix that. Okay, done.

Look at panel 2. Left hand, twigs are growing out of her finger tips. Eww. Right hand, shriveled at the elbow so that her upper arm and "hand" (still recognizable) are fully tree-ified. EWWWW.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

That portrait concept really is nice, a lot of fun, and suitably 'bizarre'.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

Another one tossed over the transom by Lonesome Ghost.
    Why this myth? Visually, it's kind of freaky deaky. Maybe that all the reason Marc needed to try it out.
    The tree in the first scene disappears by the second scene...

Haunted Mansion Collection | Disney Store

Disney added some Mansion merchandise to their online store, including two of the WDW shirts. I like the Disneyland versions, but the Florida house doesn't translate as well into their versions in my opinion. I think it's just the way they did them.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    Haunted Mansion Collection | Disney Store

Disney added some Mansion merchandise to their online store, including two of the WDW shirts. I like the Disneyland versions, but the Florida house doesn't translate as well into their versions in my opinion. I think it's just the way they did them.
    I'd say it's because they inexplicably decided not to use the stylized mansion from the WDW HM posters, which accentuates the verticality and visually interesting aspects of that mansion, which is a bit lacking in the middle, while excluding the parts that are too busy to read well in a poster/t-shirt (e.g., the conservatory):

Name:  Haunted_Mansion_Tin_Attraction_Poster-1-.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  158.7 KB

As compared to:
    Name:  7505055880265.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  55.9 KBName:  7505055880263.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  47.7 KB

In that second one, you can't even see half the mansion. Gee, that's one spooky roofline...

I have to agree. The mansions don't "read" well at all on those shirts.
    The black stemware with the demon-eye wallpaper design look quite nice. At $20 each, I expect they'll be a good investment, and you'll see them on eeeebay in a few years for $$$.

• Mr. Ghost

On an unrelated related note, for those of you playing Ghosts of Mistwood on Facebook, There is a Hitchhiking Ghosts quest. The WDW Mansion facade is also available as part of the quest. I'm trying to get screenshots.

• Mr. Ghost

Name:  canvas.png
Views: 556
Size:  174.2 KBName:  canvas 1971.png
Views: 558
Size:  206.5 KB

You know, now that I look more closely at that second shirt's drawing of the WDW mansion, it's weird.

Name:  7505055880263-2.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  246.1 KB

First off, half the facade is missing. Can you imagine them doing that to the DL mansion?

Leaving aside that obvious weirdness, there's some more subtle weirdness too. Take a look at the red circle, for example: there's no arch there on the actual facade. Then take a look at the blue circle; that's a whole, quite prominent architectural feature that just vanishes into space for no reason. But then, take a look at the side of the house closest to us - that's done in extremely accurate detail, down to the brick placement. Is this a piece of concept art that somebody recognizes? Or did they make this oddity just for the shirt?

For reference, here's a similar angle on the actual facade (from the "Four Parks, One World" blog):
    Name:  haunted_mansion_at_disneys_magic_kingdom.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  120.2 KB

Notice also that the tower below the cupola is four-sided, a square rather than a hexagon.

Since that mystery feature hanging in space does in fact correspond to a feature on the actual Mansion at that point (part of a gable), we're probably not dealing with concept art. The artist *finger quote marks* intended to copy about a third of the actual building and got lazy in shortening that wall. I suppose that he or she added the fictitious arch in the tower to fill that blank space, perhaps (1) relying on a lazy, faulty memory, and perhaps (2) operating under the presumption that the target audience has very low standards. They are the slope-browed consumers of merch that the artist himself/herself considers junk.

Also, too lazy to finish copying the third tombstone epitaph.

I was going to call it half-a$$ed, but it's closer to third-a$$ed by actual measurement.
    Last edited by HBG2; 10-19-2013 at 08:33 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The Disneyland one fares better, I think (missing tombstone lines still the case though, as parts of it copypasted.)

http://media.boingboing.net/wp-conte..._c-300x400.jpg

I must admit to owning the decorative TOMB SWEET TOMB pillow.

No clue of the date on this one, and as adverse as I am typically to forcing Mickey and the gang onto attraction merchandise all the time, the design is actually far better and the 'gag' with Mickey decently amusing - looks 1990's-ish to my eye.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5pw-UhfU74...on+T-Shirt.JPG

I don't understand how the Merch hawkers can be so blind. If you look at the HM stuff that flies off the shelves and that they can't keep in stock, it's the lovingly detailed, elegant stuff. I know I've said it before, but why can't they figure out that offering real brass door hardware that duplicates the door handle and knocker on the COD doors would make a ton of money for them.

Speaking of which, this gif turned out really well. It won't show up on the Blog until January, so here's a sneak preview:

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

That .gif is fantastic, Dan - lovely work.

This very strange image showed up when I was on the Disney parks blog as the photo header - hovering over it claims it is for the WDW Haunted Mansion.

Eye wallpaper is there but very different, and the beating heart bride (but headless?). Anyone seen this before, or is it a modern invention/mislabeled?

Here's the link to the separated parks blog file:

http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.co...alloween18.jpg

• Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

I'm sure more learned minds will know, but there is something about the art that looks modern to me. I could be (and probably am) off on that, but it just looks computer generated and not hand drawn to me.
    Last edited by Attic Haunt; 10-21-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: I can't spell

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM