Page 529 of 600 FirstFirst ... 29429479504519526527528529530531532539554579 ... LastLast
Results 7,921 to 7,935 of 8989

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

We actually had a short discussion of that artwork back on page 412 of this Thread. No one could figure it out then either.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Ah, I see missed it the first time around, my bad - but it's definitely interestingly bizarre.

I dont know if im just seeing things but behind the Giant Green Present in the attic of the Haunted Mansion Holiday, i think I saw a figure, in the corner, im not sure if its just the lighting playing tricks on me or if theres actually something there. This happened twice

• Professional Obsessive

in case anyone's curious, here's a great recent photo of the MK Mummy scene. You can see the crypt that divides this from the Tea Party, plus the tiny forced perspective crypt up on the hill! Name:  P9170775.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  198.4 KB

Yeah, Foxxy, that is an unusual angle and a nice pic to git.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post

Anyone seen this before, or is it a modern invention/mislabeled?
    Hold the phone, I just got some info on this piece from a Source...

The artist is . . . our dearest . . . Dorothea Redmond!

So it's an old piece of concept art after all. I'm beginning to think Ms. Redmond in her Mansion artwork was trying consciously or unconsciously to find that sweet spot where the visions of Rolly, Marc, and Claude meet. There's something for each of those guys to like in all of her extant HM art, of which very little out there has been positively identified to date. Other than the new one, here are the two known pieces:

I'm 90% sure this one is hers. Alas, I have no clean copy:

Watercolor was her usual medium and she liked doing interior architecture with reflective floors with rectangular patterns:

That's why I suspect that this one is hers:

This one could be hers, or it could be Claude. Again, no clean copy in my files:

This is another one that from the looks of it could be Dorothea or Claude:

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Hooray for more information, and when looking at it against her style, of course it is - very interesting piece, though we'll sadly never know the thinking behind it although can guess at parts.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Found it interesting this year a Halloweentime specific tshirt prominently featured the Hatbox Ghost on the front of it.

Sign of return? I would think with technology these days they could pull the illusion off
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

We should recall that Walt's enthusiasm for the Museum of the Weird was running high at the beginning of 1965, and that they were still anticipating a Crumpish interior atmosphere for the walk-thru itself (witness Marc's "Great Hall" concept art), so it should probably come as no surprise that other artists were trying to get on board with a surrealistic look. What exactly Dorothea had in mind here is hard to figure. I've suggested before that this one could be a depiction of a view from a boat in a partially submerged HM, a ride concept they considered for awhile...

...so maybe the newly ID'd artwork depicts more views from a passing boat, dimly perceived in the darkness. The arches in both artworks are suggestive and would form natural visual barriers between one tableau and the next. Think of the skeleton grotto in POTC and especially the dark passage before the bombardment scene before they mucked it up with a movie screen waterfall.

I was looking thru some pictures on Tumblr when I noticed this picture from Tokyo's Manison:
    Name:  tumblr_mv1wr1EyNa1s2b8j4o1_500.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  91.1 KB

It's an open window with red drapes. We certainly don't have that back at WDW.

Speaking of concept art...

We're all familiar with this Marc Davis piece:

Well, this is from the 1955 Chuck Jones directed Bugs Bunny short, "Broomstick Bunny," the second outing for Witch Hazel (she of the priceless cackle and spinning bobby pins in mid-air). This was the first time she was voiced by the inimitable June Foray.

I think it's a gag that could easily occur to people independently, so it could be simple coincidence, but then again, who knows?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Lots of posts discussing the new LCD/mirror gag at Magic Kingdom's HM being broken often lately and displaying just the behind-the scenes monitor or non-moving cartoon hitchhikers - sounds like very bad show to me if you can in fact see the plain video screen if it doesn't work, and they've got no plan for when it 'breaks' to replace the effect. Can hold onto slight sliver of hope if this keeps happening, maybe WDI or management will see logical sense in that they tried to 'fix' or improve something that didn't need it to start with: Hitchhiking Ghosts not functioning properly?

Wow, so much great stuff on this page. I dig the photo of the Tokyo house so much I sought out a higher-res version:

Tokyo Disneyland - Haunted Mansion | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The open window is a nice touch - I wonder if Hairy the Arm shows up and grabs away an unwary visitor who is peering out every so often (one of the concepts from the old Ken Anderson scripts for a effect viewed from outside the Mansion).

• Minion

So besides the CG Hitchhikers being broken, on Sunday, they were just leading guests straight to the ride with no Stretch Room show. Shameful display.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    So besides the CG Hitchhikers being broken, on Sunday, they were just leading guests straight to the ride with no Stretch Room show. Shameful display.
    Wait... what? No stretching room at all? Just walking through like it was a gallery or central hub hallway? Sad. Just sad.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM