Page 53 of 581 FirstFirst ... 3435051525354555663103153553 ... LastLast

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by CaitlinMcFly View Post
    I'm going to post off topic a bit, but on something that I think is close to our hearts in another way.
    July 26, 2010 is the day that the Star Tours we know and love--the one that some of us *ahem* grew up with--closes its doors forever. I, unfortunately, cannot attend the parks until tomorrow (July 27) and will have to consider my last trip on it to be on June 22. Now, we all recognize that Star Tours is an incredibly dated ride in its current form, and that an upgrade is needed. We should also count our lucky stars that the ride isn't being taken out altogether, but I suppose the success of things like Star Wars Weekends in Florida have helped that some. However, it still remains that part of our collective consciousness as Disney fans--many of us growing up with weekly, monthly, or yearly trips to the park--is being taken away and will remain just a memory of what once was.
    I bring this up here because while the Haunted Mansion is the ride I'm most fascinated with, and the Tower of Terror is the ride I'm most exhilarated by, the fact remains that Star Tours is the ride that always made me giggly and happy. It's the ride I knew by heart enough to know which cabins to avoid (or perhaps that's just evidence that I went too the parks too often this year, which I have. [My trip count is numbering in the 20's or 30's for this year alone, and you have to remember, I don't work there.]) My favorite memory of the ride is going on it with an entire cabin of off the clock CM's late at night, all of them from Tomorrowland attractions, and every single one of us said every line from the ride along with Rex and the other characters. It's the first ride my then-six year old brother knew all of the lines to, and if my mom went too fast in the car, he would shout "Brakes! Brakes!! WHERE ARE THE BRAKES?! AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!" much to the chagrin of my mother. I'm posting about it here because...well....It's awesome. You can't NOT have a good time on Star Tours.

...Unless you get motion sickness or have epilepsy. Then it's maybe not your favorite ride.
    If I ever get our home videos transfered from SONY handy-cam cassettes to discs, I'll have to post our July 1987 vid. That was the summer Star Tours opened, and I have a shot of the crowd in front of the ride taken from the Peoplemover. There was literally a solid mass of people clogging the Tomorrowland corridor. It was unbelievable.

It's so strange. At some point in life your memories start dividing into "long ago" and "recent history." Once that has settled in, it doesn't matter how much more time passes, the "recent history" stays recent history. Star Tours will always be "one of the new rides" to me, and nothing can alter that.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I don't think we've ever said a word about this relatively well-known piece. It's a color guide for the painters, from 1963.

Obviously, they went in a radically different direction.

• Minion

And your point would be...?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    And your point would be...?
    To spark conversation

Any idea why they changed from the vibrant blues, greens and reds to the more mutsed white/cream and dark green? did they ever produce any HM minis featuring this colourscheme (or at all)?

• Minion

I see grey, tan, green and red. No blue.

• =)

The whole house is painted a grayish blue in that rendering...

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

I wonder whose idea it was to change the color scheme in the final attraction. John Hench was an Imagineer at the time and an expect on color, so I wonder if he had any influence on its exterior. I know I probably already mentioned this before in one of the threads but I find it possibly an interesting explanation for the change.

"For Disneyland's Haunted Mansion, we wanted to create an imposing Southern-style house that would look old, but not in ruins. So we painted it a cool off-white with dark, cold blue-gray accents in shadowed areas such as the porch ceilings and wrought-iron dettails. To accentuate the eerie, deserted feeling, I had the underside of the exterior details painted the same dark color, creating exaggerated, unnaturally deep cast shadows. Since we associate dark shadows with things hidden, or half hidden, the shadow treatment enhanced the structure's otherworldliness. The park maintenance painters liked the haunted effect."

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. I think this movie is revolving around Hattie because he wants him back in the mansion.
    Well my thought was that they delayed the figure, which some sources say was ready to go, when they decided to do the movie. That way the figure is a movie plussing for promotional reasons.

TGL beat me to the punch. I was going to try to dredge up that Hench quote from somewhere, but he saved me the trouble. I just think it's interesting how an utterly different color scheme came close to being the one they used. I've never figured out what kind of "message" the colorful version was supposed to be sending. Maybe it WAS Hench who scotched the rainbow house. He was hugely interested in color theory and the messages certain colors sent.

"Are you guys kiddin' me? I know Walt wanted it looking neat and clean, but you've made it look...CHEERFUL!"

I was thrilled about hearing about a reboot and I'm beyond excited. I love Del Torro and his special effects/storytelling.

CANNOT WAIT.

This is more exciting than Burton, Maleficent and Angelina.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    TGL beat me to the punch. I was going to try to dredge up that Hench quote from somewhere, but he saved me the trouble. I just think it's interesting how an utterly different color scheme came close to being the one they used. I've never figured out what kind of "message" the colorful version was supposed to be sending. Maybe it WAS Hench who scotched the rainbow house. He was hugely interested in color theory and the messages certain colors sent.

"Are you guys kiddin' me? I know Walt wanted it looking neat and clean, but you've made it look...CHEERFUL!"
    I'm thinking that color scheme looks a bit Victorian. They would use lots of different colors; some I've seen as many as 11 colors on one house!

• Larger Than (After)Life

I tweeted this link today:

Guillermo Del Toro talks Haunted Mansion. | Talking Films

There, you will find more about what Del Toro intends to do with the story.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I don't think we've ever said a word about this relatively well-known piece. It's a color guide for the painters, from 1963.

Obviously, they went in a radically different direction.
    I love cupolas and weather vanes. My home — err, the one of my foolish mortal — needs both of them.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Here is a synopsis of the film.
    Since August 1969, foolish mortals have dared to trespass on the macabre grounds of Disney’s Haunted Mansion. A hallowed landmark in Disneyland’s New Orleans square, it’s the dwelling place of 999 happy haunts dying to meet new visitors each day. The plantation-style of the mansion’s facade is a sweet deception for visitors. Inside, ghostly doom buggies line the hallways. Since its construction, the mysteries of the mansion have transcended the attraction with stories surfacing about horrifying encounters with the supernatural. Versions of the daunting edifice have been built at other Disney theme parks in Orlando , Tokyo and Paris.

Sounds more like a synopsis of the attraction (probably because the story isn't finished yet).

That part was lifted directly from the Disney press release and does describe the attraction, NOT the film. The author of the article was not paying attention, when he copied the entire paragraph verbatim.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM