Page 543 of 599 FirstFirst ... 43443493518533540541542543544545546553568593 ... LastLast
Results 8,131 to 8,145 of 8979

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    I could swear I checked the calendar and it was scheduled to reopen tomorrow. Was this, technically, a "soft open?" I'm not going for another couple of weeks, in any case.

I'm glad to hear the extra dialogue is not (inadvertently) in. I think it's much better to travel through the CoD with the environmental audio setting the scene.
    It was a soft opening, I did not expect it to reopen today.

• Comes out to socialize!

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Does anyone have a layout of the line for the DL Mansion?
    Last edited by Grim Grinnin Ghost; 01-17-2014 at 10:40 PM.
    "I'm doing the mashed potato."

• Minion

I suppose it's safe to assume there's nothing new in the HM. I'm sure someone would be shouting about it by now if there had been.

• Comes out to socialize!

Has anyone noticed any purple sheets?
    "I'm doing the mashed potato."

I feel like the lighting in the load area was turned down.

I also found this awesome pin I'd never noticed before:

• Minion

^ Nice pictures, Great Movie Rider

• Mr. Ghost

Looks like the paint on the iron work is wearing down. I believe the last time the Mansion was repainted was in 2004.

• Minion

It would be nice if the Mansion received a repaint.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    I feel like the lighting in the load area was turned down.
    Ah, that's a shame. The usually sane lighting levels in the foyer and load area are one of the advantages the DL Mansion has over the WDW version.

That pin is gorgeous, as are all those exterior shots. They look like you're touring a real old plantation house!

• Professional Obsessive

Hey folks,

just a few notes I'm not sure have been mentioned in this thread yet about the WDW Mansion (as usual):

The wolf howl outside the house is back in operation after a few years of being too low to hear properly; it now carries across the river into Liberty Square the way it used to. Also, it seems to me that some of the sound effects and such in the Mansion queue are either broken or disabled, which is the one situation where broken effects enhance an attraction. I haven't heard King Squirty, as I call him, bubbling/sneezing or singing in several months now.

Interestingly, the WDW ride has been slowed back down. It's been running fast for years - the way to tell is to time the seance circle, you're supposed to take a full minute to travel through the scene (hear every incantation). In 2007 it was sped up something like 10%, and the projecta-bride was timed to look directly at each car as you pass her. Then a few months later the Stretch Room was re-timed and the ride sped up another 10%, which really hurt the show - there was hardly any time to observe some of the more fleeting tableau (you could hardly see the graveyard see-saw gag) and on top of that it was difficult to get people into the cars and seated properly. For years the bride looked at the space between every other car. Anyway, seems like the ride is back to its 2007 speed, which I think is just about right... I find the 1971 speed a bit slow, especially in the early scenes where the motor-based stunts look a bit clunky. You also really have to book people through the Endless Staircase scene before they have time to figure it out.

And finally, I found a terrific video of the TDL Mansion, which is shot in a pleasantly blurry low light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fojgRK517kg

The main reason to watch this, however, is to see some long-lost retro WDW lighting schemes, since they've never been changed at TDL. Their spiders look better than the Florida ones ever did in my life, and if you watch the video you can see how they would "bounce" in their webs:

What the red edition of the Corridor of Doors looked like for those who missed it in situ:

The absurdly large 1971 Tomb Sweet Tomb sampler and a nice view of how much the green glows "popped" in that gloomy red environment:

Here's one I'm particularly pleased to have good documentation of: the way the gryphon statue at the foot of the Grand Staircase was originally used. For a long time there was next to no light on it at all, and it would sort of glide past you almost subliminally as the buggy rotated, a sort of "what-was-that" moment. In later years it was lit dimly, and now fairly brightly, but when I was a kid I actually had to take a flash photo of it to figure out what the heck it was. Here's how it looked for 30+ years:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Great stuff, Foxx, thank you! Have to watch that Tokyo video. I was at WDW in November and really pleasantly surprised how 'leisurely' the trip through the Mansion felt, atmosphere had chance to seep in, at Magic Kingdom vs. Disneyland version - the extra scenes (library, portrait hall in the ride, staircases) doubtless help but felt had a lot more time to look at stuff in the grand hall and graveyard as well, as opposed to Disneyland where it just kind of zips by. Good to know that's a beneficial tweak that someone in management has made, slowing the ride down.

Be Our Guest restaurant in WDW's New Fantasyland - Haunted Mansion-esque

Was at WDW this holiday weekend and found the "Beast's" room at the new Be Our Guest in New Fantasyland to be somewhat Haunted Mansion-esque:

Enjoyed the lightning and rose effect, etc. There's a Changing Portrait of Beast <-> Prince; I didn't see it change but my wife did. Evidently flashes for a second or two to the Beast, then back to the Prince for the majority of the time. When I asked, she tells me she doesn't remember the change being synced to the lightning in the window / rose area; but if it did / does, that would be a better effect.

Thought some of you might enjoy checking out the atmosphere if you happen to be at WDW. Can't say much for the food (other than I found it frightfully inedible); but it was worth a visit.

Sorry, I don't have any video of the Changing Portrait or the rest of that particular room. Must be plenty out there on YouTube already though.

That video is awesome. Just reminds me of how the original Magic Kingdom version was before they replaced the unique portrait hallway and changed the grand staircase to total nonsense. Is it still cool? Yeah. Was it basically perfect the way it was originally designed? Absolutely.

I've come to prefer Disneyland's Mansion overall. I feel like this is not the common consensus and most people feel Magic Kingdom's is superior. True, the ride is not as long in Disneyland. That said, the changing portrait corridor and load area are very much a part of the experience there that make up for this. You just don't get that in Magic Kingdom, where the hallway and load area are less interesting. These days, huge amounts of people stack up in Magic Kingdom's load area (far worse than I've ever experienced in Disneyland on even the busiest days and with E-Stop) and you have to listen to the new fake Ghost Host safety spiel.

A major problem at Magic Kingdom is that the Ghost Host doesn't follow you out of the portrait gallery like at Disneyland, where there is dialogue that follows you in the portrait hallway and load area. I love that little touch and it makes it feel more interactive, like you're part of this experience. At Magic Kingdom, it just feels like you're being herded onto a ride. I also prefer the exterior, entering the front door and the foyer at Disneyland.

I come off the ride totally satisfied without the additional scenes at the beginning or the extra bit of crypt at the end with the Ghostess. Like the portrait hallway and load area, the speedramp out of the crypt makes up for the lack of the scene in the ride. It also incorporates more of the walk-through kind of experience Mansion was originally being designed as.

Less is more? Going up the dark staircase in Disneyland is much cooler than the wacky Magic Kingdom mirrored stairs with ghost footprints. I also prefer the Disneyland corridor of doors, which is my favorite part of the ride. The original sound design is better at Disneyland. In fact, the preservation of the classic ride design is what makes it superior to me. It has been changed, but far less than Magic Kingdom's. You still get mostly the original sound, the normal Hitchhiking Ghosts and nothing too significantly altered aside from the attic.

By the way, Haunted Mansion makes an appearance in the 3D puzzle they have on display in a window on Main Street.

The puzzle kinda looks like something they might have put out in the 70s, so kinda cool.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM