Page 544 of 599 FirstFirst ... 44444494519534541542543544545546547554569594 ... LastLast
Results 8,146 to 8,160 of 8978

WDW HM visit over MLK holiday - non-Fastpass+ PLQ bypass open, etc

Had the pleasure of riding HM five times in one day at the Magic Kingdom this holiday weekend.

To my surprise, I was able to bypass PLQ five out of five times without using FastPass+; must have been an open gate. I, and evidently most others, voted with our feet and bypassed PLQ. Either proving PLQ is an admitted all-around Fail or... goodness knows what.

Some questions / requests / observations:

1) Immediately after boarding a doom buggy and passing the operator controls, there's a staircase and a portrait, all in darkness. Frankly never noticed it before. Anyone have a flash or lights-on photo of that area? You pass through it quickly but I'm wondering what's there.

2) I love simple silhouette effects. Although I knew how it was accomplished, I finally looked behind and upward in front of the 13 hour clock and saw that the claw mechanism producing the shadow is shaped like a cross or lug-nut tightener with 4 claws at each end to get the timing right, along with proper motor RPM. Thought it was interesting. Anyone have a photo of the mechanism? My wife's iPhone 4 took lousy low-light photos; or rather, could have been Operator Error on my part. Are there any inexpensive point-and-shoots that take good low light photos in the HM without using a flash?

3) Is the phantom pianist shadow effect accomplished via projection? Although visually it looks as if it was a mechanical silhouette effect (choppy / cardboard'ish), thought I saw a projector lens in the far corner; certainly no light source directly above the piano or obvious light source to throw a traditional shadow.

4) Immediately upon entering the Endless Stairway / M.C. Escher room with the ghostly footprints, I looked down and to the right and thought I saw a projection lens--seems that's the consensus over how that effect is accomplished. Tried to get a photo, but again no dice. Does anyone have, or could anyone take on their next WDW HM visit, a low-light photo of that space?

5) Are the Changing Portraits in the hall with the lightning now accomplished not via UV reflective paint nor rear projection, but with LCD screens? As I exited the area I looked back at the portraits and didn't see how there would be sufficient space to rear project, e.g. the portraits looked self-contained from the rear without any depth behind them.

6) Does anyone have a Lights On photo of the HM graveyard (I mean the one with the pop-ups, etc)? There's so much going on that I never catch it all. Would be especially nice to have such a photo annotated or with a key identifying each piece.

7) Finally got a chance to linger in the Stretch Room and be the last to exit, hearing first the sound of a bat flying 360 degrees round, then the gargoyles whispering to each other and laughing / giggling. By the time I thought of it, it was too late to locate whatever Voice Recorder program my wife may or may not have had on her iPhone. Does anyone have an MP3 of the gargoyle audio? I'd like to hear the thing in its entirety.
    Last edited by mikeerdas; 01-22-2014 at 05:40 PM.

• Mr. Ghost

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

As far as I know, the shadow pianist is a "gobo'' or go between. It's a small metal shape, and sits in front of a light. Tokyo uses the same.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

For the first question - it's one of the old Sinister 11 portraits above that load area staircase.

Name:  2122220450_85f8131b94_m.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  13.3 KB

They are the couple second from the left in the upper row from this image from Dan/HBG2's superlative blog:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...0stuff/s11.jpg

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

In regards to the first staircase room, there are actually 2 paintings. One is of the couple, as stated. The other is of the second half of the April/December portrait slightly to the left of where the couple portrait is.

Re: WDW HM visit over MLK holiday - non-Fastpass+ PLQ bypass open, etc

Quote Originally Posted by mikeerdas View Post

2) I love simple silhouette effects. Although I knew how it was accomplished, I finally looked behind and upward in front of the 13 hour clock and saw that the claw mechanism producing the shadow is shaped like a cross or lug-nut tightener with 4 claws at each end to get the timing right, along with proper motor RPM. Thought it was interesting. Anyone have a photo of the mechanism? My wife's iPhone 4 took lousy low-light photos; or rather, could have been Operator Error on my part. Are there any inexpensive point-and-shoots that take good low light photos in the HM without using a flash?
    HBG2 posted some nice pictures of the clock hand gobo a while back: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

• Mr. Ghost

There are plenty of pictures with the lights on from this tumblr

• Minion

Seekers of the Weird managed to be a success, selling out, with second printings of the first issue coming in February.

Also, previews for Issue 2 show that they're using the Mansion version of the Walking Chair.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Inhospitable about happy

Some nice pictures, y'all.

Came across this one today. This is hands-down the best pic of DL Little Leota I've ever seen. It comes from Tours Departing Daily., where you can find a lot of good HM pix.

Also, the berm pix resonate especially well inside my brain these days, as I've been working very hard on a more-or-less complete history of the DL berm graveyard for an upcoming post. I probably won't be using this photoshopped image in that post (because I've stuck it into an older post at the blog), so I'll put it here. This is what the berm graveyard looked like in its absolute heyday, ca mid-80's. For extra points, figure out which stones were in the original photo and which were 'shopped in. Some are more obvious than others.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Attic piano and shadow man are still down.

Berm has a fence or something at the top I never noticed before.

Lighting in the load area is the norm, although it seemed darker last week. AKA you can see the ceiling and walls.

• Grim Grinning

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    For extra points, figure out which stones were in the original photo and which were 'shopped in. Some are more obvious than others.

First time chiming in here, but I'm going with the entire bottom row of 3 on the right. And possibly the top leftmost one. I can't remember if I've seen that one or not.

The third from the right on the bottom row is really crooked in the 1990 Sing Along tape.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by amanda.collishaw View Post
    First time chiming in here, but I'm going with the entire bottom row of 3 on the right. And possibly the top leftmost one. I can't remember if I've seen that one or not.
    You're right about the row of 3, wrong about the upper left. Also, there are other 'shopped stones in there besides the row of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    The third from the right on the bottom row is really crooked in the 1990 Sing Along tape.

It sure 'nuff is. I'll be dealing with that in the post.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• the rockawho?

The cupola window is actually a large door that opens up to the roof

In these pictures from someone's recent trip report in another thread there are two pictures of the HM ballroom:

Name:  746_zpsaad971a1.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  179.1 KB

Name:  752_zps3e8f866f.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  135.9 KB

Don't they look awfully bright?

Here's the thread (there's one more picture of the attic in there):
    January 19-21

They do look awfully bright.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM