Had the pleasure of riding HM five times in one day at the Magic Kingdom this holiday weekend.
To my surprise, I was able to bypass PLQ five out of five times without using FastPass+; must have been an open gate. I, and evidently most others, voted with our feet and bypassed PLQ. Either proving PLQ is an admitted all-around Fail or... goodness knows what.
Some questions / requests / observations:
1) Immediately after boarding a doom buggy and passing the operator controls, there's a staircase and a portrait, all in darkness. Frankly never noticed it before. Anyone have a flash or lights-on photo of that area? You pass through it quickly but I'm wondering what's there.
2) I love simple silhouette effects. Although I knew how it was accomplished, I finally looked behind and upward in front of the 13 hour clock and saw that the claw mechanism producing the shadow is shaped like a cross or lug-nut tightener with 4 claws at each end to get the timing right, along with proper motor RPM. Thought it was interesting. Anyone have a photo of the mechanism? My wife's iPhone 4 took lousy low-light photos; or rather, could have been Operator Error on my part. Are there any inexpensive point-and-shoots that take good low light photos in the HM without using a flash?
3) Is the phantom pianist shadow effect accomplished via projection? Although visually it looks as if it was a mechanical silhouette effect (choppy / cardboard'ish), thought I saw a projector lens in the far corner; certainly no light source directly above the piano or obvious light source to throw a traditional shadow.
4) Immediately upon entering the Endless Stairway / M.C. Escher room with the ghostly footprints, I looked down and to the right and thought I saw a projection lens--seems that's the consensus over how that effect is accomplished. Tried to get a photo, but again no dice. Does anyone have, or could anyone take on their next WDW HM visit, a low-light photo of that space?
5) Are the Changing Portraits in the hall with the lightning now accomplished not via UV reflective paint nor rear projection, but with LCD screens? As I exited the area I looked back at the portraits and didn't see how there would be sufficient space to rear project, e.g. the portraits looked self-contained from the rear without any depth behind them.
6) Does anyone have a Lights On photo of the HM graveyard (I mean the one with the pop-ups, etc)? There's so much going on that I never catch it all. Would be especially nice to have such a photo annotated or with a key identifying each piece.
7) Finally got a chance to linger in the Stretch Room and be the last to exit, hearing first the sound of a bat flying 360 degrees round, then the gargoyles whispering to each other and laughing / giggling. By the time I thought of it, it was too late to locate whatever Voice Recorder program my wife may or may not have had on her iPhone. Does anyone have an MP3 of the gargoyle audio? I'd like to hear the thing in its entirety.