Page 549 of 710 FirstFirst ... 49449499524539546547548549550551552559574599649 ... LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,235 of 10643

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Not that we'll ever know, but there is another issue: the rings of June and September are different, indicating two marriages if they indicate marriage. Is he really telling us this gal married twice, and neither time got anything like a traditional diamond wedding ring? Also, June does not look like the marrying type. On the other hand, I don't know if Victorian women (especially ones with a risqué attitude) wore non-nuptial rings on that finger. Sort of an unmarried ring.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Are the rings truly different? Or are they meant to be the same ring and it's just somewhat sloppy continuity? They look to me like they're meant to be one and the same. Certainly the same basic style. I would think that if they were meant to really be a different ring, the second one would be a completely different style altogether.

He had to be aware of the differences since the paintings were designed for the changing portrait hall.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Different sizes, different colors.

As for interpretation of the rings and her marital state, let's not overlook the category of purposeful ambiguity.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Not that we'll ever know, but there is another issue: the rings of June and September are different, indicating two marriages if they indicate marriage. Is he really telling us this gal married twice, and neither time got anything like a traditional diamond wedding ring?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Are the rings truly different? Or are they meant to be the same ring and it's just somewhat sloppy continuity? They look to me like they're meant to be one and the same. Certainly the same basic style. I would think that if they were meant to really be a different ring, the second one would be a completely different style altogether.
    I would tend to go with the sloppy continuity argument, for the reasons Grinning Ghost mentions, but it is an oddity. I floated the notion of an engagement ring and a wedding ring earlier, but I don't think that works because, as noted, the rings are too similar in style.

Also, June does not look like the marrying type. On the other hand, I don't know if Victorian women (especially ones with a risqué attitude) wore non-nuptial rings on that finger. Sort of an unmarried ring.
    Hard to say; with the best example I could find, her left hand's not visible :

Name:  696_001.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  41.3 KB

(not quite Victorian, though an interesting character; while the card says Mme, most sources say Mlle, so I think she'd count.)

And on the subject of large wedding rings, Winston Churchill's mother, quite a sassy character herself, was also a fan:
    Name:  LadyChurchill.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  121.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
    He had to be aware of the differences since the paintings were designed for the changing portrait hall.
    Different sizes, different colors.
    These were concept drawings, were they not? I could forgive the man for a bit of sloppiness in the details.

As for interpretation of the rings and her marital state, let's not overlook the category of purposeful ambiguity.
    That's an interesting idea - leave the viewer a bit off-balance regarding how the woman is to be thought of, adding to the overall off-puttingness of the mansion. I feel like it might be taking things a bit beyond what Davis would have reasonably intended, though, at least consciously. Are there other examples of this?

This might be relevant. Plain gold band on his merry widow.

• Meh

I was at Disneyland last weekend and the dueling ghost are COMPLETELY GONE, the paintings are there, no ghosts

Someone had posted previously about the gun shot sound not working, but now it's even worse!
    Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

They totally cleaned the chandelier in the foyer and the shadow man is back on the piano.

• Thumb Twiddler

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    They totally cleaned the chandelier in the foyer and the shadow man is back on the piano.
    I was told by a source of mine (who visits Disneyland about once a week) that the dueling ghosts are still gone, & that Piano Man is still missing. This was on her last trip (maybe 3 days ago?) Are you sure Piano Man is back?

Yes, the piano man is back.

Duelers are missing.

Foyer chandelier looks brand spanking new.

I love the piano guy!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

I noticed that last night (Saturday). It happened sometime between yesterday and my last visit two weeks ago on February 8th when I did my "blow the dust on the chandelier" trick. Last night I looked up and -- no dust.

Granny may be in her rocker but she's ill-lit and the most I could see was a blob. Same with the legs under the table. There's *something* there but it's not clear. Conversely, the candle-blower still seems overlit to me and the table guests seem to appear for a much briefer period than before, flashing on and then off almost immediately. The right trio of dancers also seem to be over-lit, more opaque than "ghostly" (and I never remember being able to see distinct colors in the mannequins, like red hair).

They've moved the piles of dirt on the floor of the broken wall crypts behind the unload walkway (used to be an obvious mess, now you have to look around for it).

But we still have our classic HHGs and for that I'm thankful!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    But we still have our classic HHGs and for that I'm thankful!
    Amen!!!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Yes, the piano man is back.

Duelers are missing.

It would be nice to think they were doing this in deep sensitivity to the ride's dynamics, where everything is in beautiful shape until we run into the dust and spider webs starting in the Limbo area (and the place falling into actual decay right after the Séance), but what I suspect is that they're worried about dust allergies and such, what with the chandelier being so close to peoples' noses.

The duelists are probably being refurbished, OR...

...warning, sheer speculation ahead...

maybe they're going to introduce a digital effect there similar in some ways to the new mirror hitchhikers at WDW (just not interactive). If they were going to do something like that, then that is the ideal place to do it. There is plenty of room for any amount of necessary equipment up above the doombuggy balcony in the place where the AA's are, and there is likewise plenty of room behind the picture frames on the other side of the back wall. And there's good, easy access to both areas. Again, this is pure speculation, but perhaps the pictures will assume the form of the duelists more smoothly and they will be more lively. Who knows?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM