Page 551 of 586 FirstFirst ... 51451501526541548549550551552553554561576 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,265 of 8789

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mystery_Mouse View Post
    Does anyone know if Walt Disney World started out with the Disneylands version of Constance and THEN upgraded to the one they have now? Or have they always had the better version?

Also, why does only Walt Disney World have the better looking Costance?
    Walt Disney World has had the better Constance since day one of her installation in 2007 (I was there!). No idea why Disneyland has been stuck with the lesser version. They've certainly had enough refurbishment time since '07 to fix her up, so it must be a money thing.
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I just got off the Haunted Mansion, and I don't know if this is brand new or something that was just in the background that's never noticed before that has been turned way up, but there is a loud sound of rattling chains right between the mirrors and the unload area.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    I just got off the Haunted Mansion, and I don't know if this is brand new or something that was just in the background that's never noticed before that has been turned way up, but there is a loud sound of rattling chains right between the mirrors and the unload area.
    That is pretty bizarre, indeed - I've never heard that. If so, it certainly is in the 'wheelhouse'/genre cliches folder, of the rattling chains in the haunted house being a rather hoary old staple of the genre. I am going this week and will listen closely to see if's present. Could have been something mechanical if occurred just once? But no idea at present.

OK, Gang...

As I REALLY value your opinions, you being THE most admirable bunch of dark ride/HM enthusiasts in the world, I would love to hear what you think of my own original miniature dark ride 'POV' experience so far...

This is a rough cut of the complete 'on ride' experience of the 'Daark Valley Orphanage', greatly inspired by my love of 'The Haunted Mansion', since I was 8 years old and dreamed of creating my own 'dark ride'.

This entire attraction is fictional/conceptual, created via fully functioning miniature sets (each about 2' x 3'), edited 'live footage' clips and composite shots/mattes.

This sequence features the outside/front of the attraction, the full queue experience and the first two scenes (of 7) the full attraction will eventually contain. At this point the narration and sound effects are in the test stage.

Many thanks to you in advance for any opinions posted.

Karstens Creations - Original Art & Custom Dreams

http://www.karcreat.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    That is pretty bizarre, indeed - I've never heard that. If so, it certainly is in the 'wheelhouse'/genre cliches folder, of the rattling chains in the haunted house being a rather hoary old staple of the genre. I am going this week and will listen closely to see if's present. Could have been something mechanical if occurred just once? But no idea at present.
    It sounded like a recording of chains being rattled by hand, not like something mechanical. It was very loud and just at that point where you pass between rooms. I'm wondering if it was supposed to just be something in the background that you have to listen for and someone accidentally turned it all the way up.

Quote Originally Posted by karcreat View Post
    I would love to hear what you think of my own original miniature dark ride 'POV' experience so far...
    Wow, that's creepy. It seems more suited to the horror vibe of Halloween scare attractions than the "frightfully funny" Haunted Mansion. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Regarding the rattling chains, I rode through three times Friday night and don't remember anything unusual there.

The foyer chandelier is still clean but I noticed that the overhead light fixtures in the changing portrait hall seem to get dirtier as you progress down the hall and into the loading area . The chandelier right above the loading speedramp is positively filthy (and seems closer than the foyer chandelier) so I doubt they're worried about anybody's dust allergies.
    Last edited by bigcatrik; 03-01-2014 at 10:15 PM.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Karcreat, your presentation has really bloomed from those first test bits you showed a while back! I like the pre-show and the elevator footage. Great stuff. The use of video in the elevator reminds me of the roller coaster elevator scene in the remake of House on Haunted Hill... love it!

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Wow, that's creepy. It seems more suited to the horror vibe of Halloween scare attractions than the "frightfully funny" Haunted Mansion. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Yeah, basically I am going for a 'more adult' version of the HM...same 'level' of illusions' (Pepper's Ghost, gothic look, large scale FX work that is interesting to look at...but LOW on the 'blood and gore', as I do not personally like that in a dark ride...it's one of the many reasons I don't care for 'Phantom Manor'...

Thank you VERY much for posting some commentary, I truly value everyone's opinions here...

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Karcreat, your presentation has really bloomed from those first test bits you showed a while back! I like the pre-show and the elevator footage. Great stuff. The use of video in the elevator reminds me of the roller coaster elevator scene in the remake of House on Haunted Hill... love it!
    VERY kind, thank you...

The Pre Show stuff is all matte work, and the elevator sequence is real footage (of course) of a guy getting in a lift...then, after it goes black, and the camera 'tilts up to the ceiling', that's me filming a video monitor inside a 2'x3' cardboard box, w/ the interior painted black...

Thank you both for your comments...you guys rock...

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    The use of video in the elevator reminds me of the roller coaster elevator scene in the remake of House on Haunted Hill... love it!
    By the way, I had never seen this remake before, but was able to find the exact scene/clip you mentioned on Youtube instantly...and YES my scene is VERY similar, especially given that the effect was achieved in the exact same way...except mine is ABOVE the 'rider' rather than under (a video monitor screen)...the elevator car, if it was full scale, would never actually 'move' save for shaking and turning slowly to one side, to allow visitors to exit into the loading area, as opposed to where they entered...but the premise is pretty much the same as that clip...

The Scene In Question:

House On Haunted Hill Rollercoaster - YouTube

About rattling chains - does/did DL's HM have the audio of the ghost near the finale of the graveyard bricking himself back into his crypt? I remember hearing it at WDW's HM way back in the 70's (it disappeared sometime after that) and thinking it sounded a lot like chains being rattled. Only later did I find out it was supposed to be the scraping sound of the trestle (or whatever that tool it's using is called...)

• Pox-worthy since 1973

@HMfanatic The tool you refer to is a trowel not a trestle.

Hey everybody, I firstly wanted to check to see if you guys watched the Vincent Price video I found. It's been a while since I've posted, you know, school and all.

Well, about 2 weeks ago, as I got off my school bus, I slipped on an icy part of the road and fell. I ended up fracturing my femur up at my hip. But I'm fine, I was well taken care of at a children's hospital somewhere I will not specify for privacy reasons. I'm doing well at my house. I thought you all might want to know this.

But enough about me and my condition, what goes on here at The Thread?
    Last edited by PhonyKingOfEngland; 03-04-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Make location censorship more distinct

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
    'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth"

~ Eric Idle, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMfanatic View Post
    About rattling chains - does/did DL's HM have the audio of the ghost near the finale of the graveyard bricking himself back into his crypt? I remember hearing it at WDW's HM way back in the 70's (it disappeared sometime after that) and thinking it sounded a lot like chains being rattled. Only later did I find out it was supposed to be the scraping sound of the trestle (or whatever that tool it's using is called...)
    I do believe DL had the trowel sound, but that's not in the same location "right between the mirrors and the unload area". The trowel was more of a scraping/swishing sound. Heard on several older videos, I had always thought it was just the mechanical sound of the Doombuggy movement, before I ever knew that was an actual sound effect for that crypt. Never, ever thought it sounded anything like chains. If there were ever a chain sound effect used, it would probably have been the same one used on "The Story and Song From The Haunted Mansion" Lp as Thurl describes the C.O.D. which is heard combined with the Stretch Room Scream.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhonyKingOfEngland View Post
    Well, about 2 weeks ago, as I got off my school bus, I slipped on an icy part of the road and fell. I ended up fracturing my femur up at my hip. But I'm fine, I was well taken care of at a children's hospital somewhere I will not specify for privacy reasons. I'm doing well at my house. I thought you all might want to know this.
    Sorry you busted your leg, glad you are doing well! Stay comfy as you can...

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Ouch! I'm glad they took care of you at that unnamed hospital and I hope you heal up well and quickly!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM