Page 553 of 719 FirstFirst ... 53453503528543550551552553554555556563578603653 ... LastLast
Results 8,281 to 8,295 of 10782

• Haunted Mansion Fan

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Do they stop the ride to correct that type of thing? Or overnight maint?

(the bird drop)
    Do not pull down on the safety bar please; I will lower it for you.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

new post up at the blog
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Do anybody notices that the raven in the ballroom is in horrid shape and hardly moving.

• Minion

Mansion Update 3/14/2014 (one ride afternoon, two rides mid-evening):

The Conservatory windows were pitch black. I think a light was out somewhere.

Leota is still table-bound (and I'm still not complaining, it just seems to work better for me that way, a talking head in a crystal ball is enough, floating is overkill, and the wires *always* catch light from somewhere).

The light behind the ballroom window the wraiths fly through was too bright.

Something I haven't mentioned is that the ghost piano player has consistently been about an octave too low on the piano, completely missing any moving keys. I don't remember him ever being absolutely perfect, but I'm fairly sure I would have noticed if he was that far off before.

I never saw the pop-up ghost in front of the graveyard band. Broken? To miss him completely on three separate rides when I almost always see him would have to be exceptionally bad timing if he's actually there.

Come to think of it, I haven't yet seen pop-up ghost #3 (behind the crypt just after the band) but his timing is not predictable and I rarely saw him two years ago so this one is still up in the air.

Question: Was the scrim with the ascending ghosts you face when you exit the attic a late addition? You come out of the attic and face into the graveyard for many seconds before turning for the backwards descent through the trees, but during that period the view is completely obscured by that scrim. There's a picture of that view without the scrim and it gives a nice view of the graveyard. ???

• Haunted Mansion Fan

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Mansion Update 3/14/2014 (one ride afternoon, two rides mid-evening):

Leota is still table-bound (and I'm still not complaining, it just seems to work better for me that way, a talking head in a crystal ball is enough, floating is overkill, and the wires *always* catch light from somewhere).
    I agree, I like the original concept. Made more sense to me than something flying around.

Question: Was the scrim with the ascending ghosts you face when you exit the attic a late addition? You come out of the attic and face into the graveyard for many seconds before turning for the backwards descent through the trees, but during that period the view is completely obscured by that scrim. There's a picture of that view without the scrim and it gives a nice view of the graveyard. ???
    Yes, it's always been there. Some of the stock WED footage from the summer of '69 appears to have been shot before the scrims went up, but up they went.

• Yoiks!

Iiiiiiiiiiiii'm baaaaaaaaacccckkk!

Quite a bit has happened here. It was nice seeing the really clear bullet hole/spider web photos and seeing the Daphne changing portrait takes one more item off my must-see list. I think there is really only a photo of the actual "Man in Web" that is left.

Welcome new ghouls and ghosties! It is always nice to have new bloo- er spirits here.

Karcreat, I enjoyed what you have done so far with your dark ride. I felt like I was there. I'm glad to hear the audio is in testing stage as the narrator tripped up a bit during the video, but the text itself was good. The first newspaper clipping goes down the middle of the screen but I think it should go to one side as it blocks the pictures behind it for too long. At the end of the video there is the text that says move to the right. A bony hand or other icon would help there for people that can't read English. While going up the elevator, I would like to see the hands be less obvious. We know the place is in fact haunted within the first few seconds. I would like to have a bit more build. The ghost coming down the hallway looked really cool. I hope it will not be static though (I know it is a test). I'm looking forward to seeing the rest!
    Oh, what if there was a water pipe in the elevator that "misted guests". I wanted something to fall on them to simulate the dust falling, but that might hurt the riders if they got it in their eyes.
    I really liked the music. It was spooky but not derivative.

Now to catch of on 7 months of Long Forgotten!

I'm honestly always confused about this for some reason. What is she supposed to be--floating or table bound? I always anticipate one, and then it turns out she's the other one. I thought it was one for the Holiday version and another for the regular season, but(and maybe I'm just really mixing things up) it seems like there's no rhyme or reason to the times when she's table bound or floating things around?

tl;dr: Is Leota supposed to be table bound or floating? If one over the other, why does it seem like she's constantly switching?

• Haunted Mansion Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Liva148 View Post
    I'm honestly always confused about this for some reason. What is she supposed to be--floating or table bound? I always anticipate one, and then it turns out she's the other one. I thought it was one for the Holiday version and another for the regular season, but(and maybe I'm just really mixing things up) it seems like there's no rhyme or reason to the times when she's table bound or floating things around?

tl;dr: Is Leota supposed to be table bound or floating? If one over the other, why does it seem like she's constantly switching?

I may may be totally wrong, but I assumed when the floating Leota was broken, the table bound version was her "stand in?"

Quote Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
    I may may be totally wrong, but I assumed when the floating Leota was broken, the table bound version was her "stand in?"
    So the "normal" Leota is floating when everything is functioning right, and the tablebound is only when something is going wrong? That could be it, but it seems like it's 50/50 with those two options, and for an attraction that's decades old, that problem should've been figured out now.

• Minion

The floating effect is less than ten years old. And I may be spreading misinformation (misinformation on the internet -- horrors!). According to this DoomBuggies article WDW has back projection while DL has front projection.

DoomBuggies > Explore the history and marvel at the mystery of Disney's Haunted Mansion attractions!

From the article I reconstruct Leota's DL history thusly:
    1969 - late 80s : Front projection from 16mm film
    late 80s - 2001 : Back projection from LaserDisc video
    2001 - 2006 : Front projection from (LaserDisc?) video
    2006 - present : Front projection on floating Leota from HD video
    2006 - present : (Front projection) on table-based Leota of (??)

More history than I had assumed.

The Conservatory windows were pitch black. I think a light was out somewhere.

The light behind the ballroom window the wraiths fly through was too bright.
    I noticed this and thought it ended up having a really cool effect.

As for the pop-ups, they all usually work, but occasionally don't. I noticed over the course of one weekend recently that the first pop-up was barely coming up. The next day, it was back to its usual routine. That first one has been iffy for a while now.

Whenever the floating Mdm L has a problem, they go straight to the table model until it's fixed, which isn't always top priority.

As for that history, the "back projection" from the late 80s to 2001 would perhaps be more accurately described as "interior projection," and I believe that floating Leota at DL has for a couple of years now been done the same way WDW's floating Leota is done: interior projection once again, with vastly improved technology over the 80's version. I don't know what the backup Leota on the table is using. Probably the 2001 - 2006 frontal projection system.

Welcome back KARL!

I'm told now that Table Leota at DL uses the same internal projection system as Floating Leota. Hook up two cables and switch 'er on. When they go to Table Leota it usually means that they're having some sort of problem with one of the three motors for the cables that Floating Leota uses.

So they've got nothing but internal-projection Leotas at DL, WDW, and PM. If a front-projected Leota still exists anywhere, it would be the one in Tokyo. I don't know whether that one has gone to the new system or is still hanging on to the old. Their mentality has always been, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and fix it so it don't break."

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM