Page 554 of 599 FirstFirst ... 54454504529544551552553554555556557564579 ... LastLast
Results 8,296 to 8,310 of 8977

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Does anyone know if the original attic in 1969 had any sound effects, other than the screams from the popup ghosts? No wind or bats flying around sounds?
    Thanx

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Popups and Heart beat.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bondfan2000 View Post
    Does anyone know if the original attic in 1969 had any sound effects, other than the screams from the popup ghosts? No wind or bats flying around sounds?
    Thanx
    Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    Popups and Heart beat.
    Yes, the Pop-Up ghosts and the Bride's heartbeat. There is a wind sound effect, but it's used outside the Attic window with the raven.

• Thumb Twiddler

Not sure if anyone on here's reported this or not yet, but I've been told that the carpets in both Stretch Rooms at Disneyland were replaced after it reopened from Haunted Mansion Holiday. They've also replaced the carpets in the Portrait Hallway I was told with the same new carpets they added in Stretch.

Haunted Mansion Update 3/17/2014 (2 rides in the evening):

I was able to stop by in the morning at opening but was greeted by the saddest words in 'The Happiest Place on Earth' -- "The Haunted Mansion will have a delayed opening."

9AM
    Name:  HM_gate_closed_9AM.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  128.7 KB

I returned before I had to leave an hour later and it was still not open. There were 4 CMs fielding questions, three on the left, one under the umbrella (they were there at opening but I thought the unpopulated picture was more effective).

10 AM
    Name:  HM_gate_closed_10AM.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  137.1 KB

Fortunately I was able to return in the evening and ride twice.

The conservatory lighting seems normal now. (EDIT 5/15/2014 - This is most likely in error since the outside trees were not visible until late May.)

The main act in the seance room has reverted to Floating Leota and The Visible Wires.

The organist was ill-lit, perhaps a bulb was out. He's usually rather opaque, being brightly lit, but he was almost not visible at all.

The pop-up in front of the graveyard band was in full force. I still think he was inactive on my last visit. I also saw pop-up #3. He may only come out on the line [SPOILER] "restless bones etherealize." I'm not sure I've ever seen him otherwise. He's truly the rarest (and/or shyest) pop-up of all.
    Last edited by bigcatrik; 05-15-2014 at 08:20 AM.

• Tickets please...

Oh dear, I haven't posted here in a long time have I? Oh well, I come bearing gifts... I don't know if any of you recall me going on about a Phantom Manor ride-through video my friend and I put together? Well I've finally uploaded it. Actually there are two versions... this would be the basic version;

Nothing fancy, but I'm currently in the process of uploading the more edited version which has my story explanation in the queue and Boot Hill added to it as well.

About the video; Hazel was the one filming it, I'm actually in the doombuggy in front of her. I'm the editor... not that this video is edited much, the other one is more so. You do see me briefly in this video too though, I'm the one waving at the camera in the changing portraits corridor before the ride-through. (Despite my username I am female, dunno how many knew that?)

Unfortunately we didn't get good footage of the stretching room or the ballroom... but there is some awesome footage of the catacombs and Phantom Canyon. As you can tell we got a slow down and stop at one point... yes the Phantom's laugh track wasn't playing at the end which is a shame. It was like that for the entire time we were there. This was filmed in June 2013.

I'll post the longer, more edited version once its uploaded... but for now... I hope you enjoy. Please ignore my frazzled hair, it was ridiculously hot most of the time when we were there.

Oh and if you have a youtube account... only if you want to... you could like/comment?

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

• Haunted Mansion Fan

Very nice, thank you for sharing! One thing I noticed, rudeness crosses all international boundaries. Did you see how many times those camera flashes went off during the ride? Sheesh.

I didnt realize how different that attraction is from what we have here in the states. Very cool though. Thanks again Ezra, (and the hair looked fine!).
    Do not pull down on the safety bar please; I will lower it for you.
    Member of the Haunted Mansion wiki.

• Tickets please...

Quote Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
    Very nice, thank you for sharing! One thing I noticed, rudeness crosses all international boundaries. Did you see how many times those camera flashes went off during the ride? Sheesh.

I didnt realize how different that attraction is from what we have here in the states. Very cool though. Thanks again Ezra, (and the hair looked fine!).
    You're welcome. And yes indeed, I went on it about 30 times over the course of three full days and two half-days there... the amount of times people used flash. I did try to take some pics myself in the ride, but I never used flash. It just ruins the experience for others. And of course... as with the Ghost Host, the Phantom dislikes flash.

And yeppers, it is very different... including the story. If you can handle high levels of British accent I would suggest maybe checking out the other version of the video once I get it uploaded; as I explain the story. And you're very welcome to make fun of my accent too.

We have a few other ride-through videos of which I haven't uploaded yet (youtube takes ages...), including Pirates of the Caribbean.
    Last edited by Ezra; 03-19-2014 at 06:21 AM.

• Tickets please...

Okay here's the extended version of the Phantom Manor ride-though with me explaining the story in the queue and in Boot Hill. Hazel was kinda adamant about documenting Boot Hill as well... so there's quite a bit of footage of that. Do excuse my hair and the accent... I sound so posh and I have no idea why.

The first shot of the Manor is taken from the riverboat, and the CM at the end of the video is Thierry... we got quite chatty with him. He asked whether he should speak in French or English for the video, and I said either is good.
    Last edited by Ezra; 03-19-2014 at 08:46 AM.

What a detailed cemetery Phantom Manor has. I hadn't watched a ride-through before (don't know why not) but had read about it, and I'm still not too sure exactly what's happening. Are there people as obsessive about PM as HM? Speaking of which:

Mansion update 3/19/2014 (5 rides in the early evening, no line!):

The organist is still very dim, and seemingly headless since his head is not illuminated at all.

Some of the buggies have red and green lights under them (part of the ride system) that are either new or much more intrusive now. I will probably start to jot down the numbers of buggies with these lights to see if there's a pattern, or if it varies from day to day.

With five rides I was fortunate to catch pop-up #3 (the shy one) several times and perhaps determine his timing. He appeared on the following lines: "Silly spooks," "Creepy creeps," "Restless bones," and immediate following "pretend to terrorize." That seems to place him mostly within the last 3/4ths of each verse (except for "Silly spooks") and makes him a kinsman to #2 who comes out during the verses, but sooner, unlike the rest of the pop-ups who dutifully appear between the verses (where they once screamed).

• Tickets please...

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    What a detailed cemetery Phantom Manor has. I hadn't watched a ride-through before (don't know why not) but had read about it, and I'm still not too sure exactly what's happening. Are there people as obsessive about PM as HM?
    No its not easy to tell exactly what's going on during the ride, but I myself think when inside the actual Manor, you're seeing Melanie's past story at first, as she gradually ages and dies; being kept there by the Phantom even after death. I don't consider the version of her in the Manor her current incarnation; once in the catacombs we see her as a skeletal ghoul... this is what I think Melanie's form is nowadays. A lot of folks might disagree with me because they want her to be all flowy and pretty... but I'm staying with my theory. Also I tend to think the ballroom ghosts are maybe a residual haunting (with perhaps the exception of the Organist... who actually looks up at the riders during the ride). Its once you get outside to the catacombs and Phantom Canyon that things get going, with ghouls and ghosts (of the intelligent type). So in my theory, I think either the Phantom or Melanie is showing you the story during the ride (after all, in the stretching room its not just a hanged skeleton, the Phantom is hanging her husband-to-be... and he doesn't look decomposed at all... so its obviously an image of the past); and then you find out what's become of Melanie and other various residents of Thunder Mesa in the Catacombs and Phantom Canyon. And of course the Phantom wants you to fill the quota.... for what reason, I don't know. Melanie helps you escape though.

Very brief explanation on my theory, but hey... I just got up and all.

And about your question; I don't think there is as many... but there are still quite a few Phantom Manor obsess-ees out there.. as you can tell, I'm one of them. A number of the CMs there are very into the ride as well. Its much harder to find backstage pics of the Manor though, compared to the Mansion... I recently found more lights-on pics of a number of scenes... but actual backstage pics? Hardly any... so if anybody comes across any I'd be most grateful if you posted them here.

I'm a huge fan of the Haunted Mansion of course, too. But I haven't been on it in ages (WDW version, still haven't gone on the original unfortunately), and as Phantom Manor is my nearest Mansion... that's the one I focus on more. But my obsession for the Mansion is pretty good too!

Sorry for long post!

• Inhospitable about happy

Somewhere 'way back in the bowels of the endless Thread there was a debate about plain tombstones with a name but no dates or anything else. Someone wanted to argue that this was evidence that the HM world is indeed a fantasy world, since no real tombstones have the name and nothing else. This was claimed as part of an argument against the premise I support (i.e. that there is nothing about the HM that is presented as fantasy other than the fact that ghosts are real). I say that if ghosts were real, then everything about the attraction would be logically consistent with the real world we live in, excepting only such items as are absolutely necessary for an amusement park ride, like safety bars and stuff. You do not leave this world for a fantasy world; rather, you imagine ghosts as part of your actual world.

Anyway, it was an "AHA! Gotcha!" type of argument. Real tombstones are never content to have only a name on them.

Someone should have told the director of The Innocents (1961), a ghost story very much set in this world.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Inhospitable about happy

There's a possibility that I might be able to squeeze a Disneyland trip into my life, and the one thing I do NOT want to happen is to pick a week in which the HM is down for maintenance. I don't know (or don't remember) how and where to access the maintenance schedule.

Does anyone know if the HM is going to be down between May 19 and May 23?
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Duelers are back in the DL Mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Does anyone know if the HM is going to be down between May 19 and May 23?
    Disneyland refurbishments are listed on their calendar, but only a certain amount of time in advance and sometimes they change. I know that doesn't help much, but other threads are rife with people making trip arrangements and complaining about the calendar's seeming whims about refurbishments.

Does anyone know how often it goes down during the regular season since HMH has come to stay? I've assumed that they use the several week switchover on either end for refurbishment purposes. I haven't seen it go down during the regular season in the time I've been following it, but that's been just over two years.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM