Page 555 of 618 FirstFirst ... 55455505530545552553554555556557558565580605 ... LastLast
Results 8,311 to 8,325 of 9257

• Grim Grinning

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Disneyland Refurbishment Schedule

Doesn't look like the Mansion will be closed between those dates!

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by amanda.collishaw View Post
    Disneyland Refurbishment Schedule

Doesn't look like the Mansion will be closed between those dates!
    Thanks! I knew there was a list like that somewhere.

Looks bad, though. Pirates and Space Mt will be down during our time frame.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Thanks! I knew there was a list like that somewhere.

Looks bad, though. Pirates and Space Mt will be down during our time frame.
    But better in the sense that they try to minimize the numbers of E-ticket rides down at once, though, so HM would have better odds of being open, particularly when its New Orleans Square neighbor is down. That's not an official Disney site, however, and the Disneyland.com calendar only goes into early May.

Mansion Update 3/23/2014 (one ride in the early evening, full queue!):

The red and green lights seem to be under every fourth buggy. Whether it's constantly the same pattern of four or whether it changes, I don't know (yet). They are unavoidable at the start of the ride when you're ascending the staircase if you're directly behind that buggy, and a glow can be seen from under these buggies while in the seance circle (I must have been looking intently for the glow since I could not tell you whether Leota was floating or on the table!). I'm surprised at the pattern of four since the audio track is triggered every three buggies. (EDIT 5/15/2014: The lights are under every fifth buggy.)

Confirming that the duelists are back, but one seemed much brighter than the other.

The organist is still dimly lit and seemingly without a head.

The ride stalled and left me right by pop-up #3 for several rounds of GGG so I was able to determine his timing. He pops up five times during the song as follows:
    1. On "happy haunts"
    2. On "silly spook"
    3. On "Grim Grinning" following "silly spook" (making two appearances during the second verse)
    4. On "creepy creeps"
    5. On "restless bones"

He has five appearances to the other pop-ups's four, but each buggy swings by his location for a very brief time so he's easy to miss.
    Last edited by bigcatrik; 05-15-2014 at 08:22 AM.

• Thumb Twiddler

There's a possibility that I might be able to squeeze a Disneyland trip into my life, and the one thing I do NOT want to happen is to pick a week in which the HM is down for maintenance. I don't know (or don't remember) how and where to access the maintenance schedule.

Does anyone know if the HM is going to be down between May 19 and May 23?
    I know a guy who works as a stagehand in the maintenance department at Disneyland. He'd probably be able to get the maintenance schedule. Do you want me to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by DreVog View Post
    I know a guy who works as a stagehand in the maintenance department at Disneyland. He'd probably be able to get the maintenance schedule. Do you want me to ask?
    Sure, thanks!
    I know that DL will fill out the latter part of May on their official schedule before too long, but we're making motel reservations now, so it would be nice to know what days are best. I'm not worried about HM, but it would be nice if POTC were open when we go, for example.

• Thumb Twiddler

Sure, thanks!
    I know that DL will fill out the latter part of May on their official schedule before too long, but we're making motel reservations now, so it would be nice to know what days are best. I'm not worried about HM, but it would be nice if POTC were open when we go, for example.
    According to my buddy, both Mansion & Pirates will be open since it's near the beginning of Summer. The 23rd of May is also a 24-hour day; meaning the park will be open 24 hours. Walt Disney World also has their 24-hour day on May 23rd as well. Just a little side information that I thought would be of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreepy Karl View Post

Karcreat, I enjoyed what you have done so far with your dark ride. I felt like I was there. I'm glad to hear the audio is in testing stage as the narrator tripped up a bit during the video, but the text itself was good. The first newspaper clipping goes down the middle of the screen but I think it should go to one side as it blocks the pictures behind it for too long. At the end of the video there is the text that says move to the right. A bony hand or other icon would help there for people that can't read English. While going up the elevator, I would like to see the hands be less obvious. We know the place is in fact haunted within the first few seconds. I would like to have a bit more build. The ghost coming down the hallway looked really cool. I hope it will not be static though (I know it is a test). I'm looking forward to seeing the rest!
    Oh, what if there was a water pipe in the elevator that "misted guests". I wanted something to fall on them to simulate the dust falling, but that might hurt the riders if they got it in their eyes.
    I really liked the music. It was spooky but not derivative.

Now to catch of on 7 months of Long Forgotten!
    MANY thanks for all your comments...

Yes, the narration is temporary...

RE the other points you brought up, I hate to say this, but those effects are finalized/filmed/sets destroyed (thrown away...my office is too small to keep them all, LOL)...but overall, it seemed like you enjoyed the majority of what I had in there...the 'bony hand' addition to the text screen might be possible though, thank you for that, very helpful...

If you get a sec, please check out the updated video, now featuring 5 rather than just two sequences...and again, I really appreciate you taking time to respond...

Karstens Creations - Original Art & Custom Dreams

http://kkarstens.wix.com/karstenscreations

Have you ever wondered if Buddy Baker may have been inspired, consciously or unconsciously, by some piece of classical music when he came up with the GGG tune? I've wondered now and then. Anyway, if he was, Symphonic Variations Op. 78 by Antonin Dvorak is a contender. The main theme is repeated endlessly, in every conceivable formation, in the course of this 20+ minute piece, and the first five notes are mighty familiar, friends, mighty familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Th5nrVhkQ
    Last edited by HBG2; 03-25-2014 at 03:40 PM.

• Yoiks!

Karcreat, I did quite enjoy watching it. I watched it a couple of times actually (and if you knew how busy I am right now, that is high praise). The first time I watched it, I did as a guest. I really enjoyed it. It was spooky and not obviously a rip-off of something. It was forboding right from the start but not in a cable TV in-your-face shock value kind of way.
    the next few times I watched it, it was from a director's POV. I enjoyed the little details (like the tag on the roof of the elevator).
    Personally, my preference is a subtle horror, but don't let my comments imply that I didn't enjoy what you did. Part of my comments are intended as the Devil's Advocate.
    With regards to your new scenes,
    I like the eyes in the darkness. The shadows slowly sinking are also good, but I found the pace "off". I felt they needed to be either faster (they are hiding from us) or slower (they know we see them). At this point I don't understand the motives of the ghosts and that unnerves me.
    The next room with the breathing walls is also cool. While part of me likes how stark it is, another part of me wonders why the rocking horse wasn't stolen or destroyed by vandals and the room strewn with debris and the walls peeling and covered with graphitti. (Not sure it that would detract from the breathing effect though.
    I like the endless wraiths. They make perfect sense, story-wise. If you want to add even more shock value to it, have a ghost appear right in front of the window for 1.5 seconds. (And only infrequently so guest can argue it it happened or not). Another idea I had was seeing an afterimage of the burning bridge. (I will concede immediatly that the effect is overkill)

I hope you know the intentions of the ghosts even if they are not clear to the guests. It will affect how they relate to us.

I remember you had a "haunted nursuary" video. I don't recall if it was for the same project or not. Depending on your story, I'm not sure if that effect fits in.
    I'm assuming the final scene will be the children extracting revenge on the woman (or failing to), but I see several ways this could pan out.
    I see children locked in tiny chests or dark closets. I see wires or chains affixed to radiators (another good place to spray guests with mist). I see a kitchen and a cellar (or attic)
    Any way, I'm hooked (pun morbidly intended)
    This could easily become more gristly if you focus on the torture/cruelty aspects. (Red hot sizzling hand-prints on the radiator or a shadow in a cage filled with rats as examples)
    I also see this changing from guests-as-observers to guests-as-targets.
    Even, if you are not going in these directions, you have at the very least, sparked these morbid ideas. Some dark rides are cool but leave no impact.

If you have pictures of your sets, I'd like to see them.

• Yoiks!

Have you ever wondered if Buddy Baker may have been inspired, consciously or unconsciously, by some piece of classical music when he came up with the GGG tune? I've wondered now and then. Anyway, if he was, Symphonic Variations Op. 78 by Antonin Dvorak is a contender. The main theme is repeated endlessly, in every conceivable formation, in the course of this 20+ minute piece, and the first five notes are mighty familiar, friends, mighty familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Th5nrVhkQ
    Nice find! It is certainly possible. While I am no musician, I did create a few songs for the piano when I was a teen. It was only later that I realized that my "original music" was in fact, "borrowed".

EDIT: I just listened to this in full. I think the ghosts play this version outside the mansion to discourage "teenage delinquent ghosts" from hanging around.
    Last edited by Kreepy Karl; 03-25-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Karcreat, I did quite enjoy watching it. I watched it a couple of times actually (and if you knew how busy I am right now, that is high praise).
    MANY thanks, then...that is very cool to hear, thank you.

The first time I watched it, I did as a guest. I really enjoyed it. It was spooky and not obviously a rip-off of something. It was forboding right from the start but not in a cable TV in-your-face shock value kind of way.
    the next few times I watched it, it was from a director's POV. I enjoyed the little details (like the tag on the roof of the elevator).
    Personally, my preference is a subtle horror, but don't let my comments imply that I didn't enjoy what you did. Part of my comments are intended as the Devil's Advocate.
    Hey, I appreciate the feedback, honestly...I also prefer subtle horror (chilling and creepy over gory and startling, any day)...this is a huge factor regarding my love for Disney's Haunted Mansion, of course...

With regards to your new scenes,
    I like the eyes in the darkness. The shadows slowly sinking are also good, but I found the pace "off". I felt they needed to be either faster (they are hiding from us) or slower (they know we see them). At this point I don't understand the motives of the ghosts and that unnerves me.
    Well, isn't that a GOOD thing?...
    In all seriousness, THIS is an edit I can tinker with, by slowing the scene down a bit in the timeline/editor or speeding it up a hair...I will definitely look into this...thank you.

The next room with the breathing walls is also cool. While part of me likes how stark it is, another part of me wonders why the rocking horse wasn't stolen or destroyed by vandals and the room strewn with debris and the walls peeling and covered with graphitti. (Not sure it that would detract from the breathing effect though.
    An interesting perspective...tho in all honesty, I pictured this abandoned Orphanage far too creepy/legendary for vandals to have enough nerve to break in...thus, no graffiti and why the rocking horse is there...or maybe it ISN'T REALLY there...and you are just 'seeing it'?...(Moohahaha!)

I like the endless wraiths. They make perfect sense, story-wise.
    If you want to add even more shock value to it, have a ghost appear right in front of the window for 1.5 seconds. (And only infrequently so guest can argue it it happened or not). Another idea I had was seeing an afterimage of the burning bridge. (I will concede immediatly that the effect is overkill)
    Actually, I find it quite interesting you proposed that 'train/bridge' detail, I actually considered doing EXACTLY THAT...but I doubt it would be visible clearly as the mini DV camera goes past the window...(the actual set was less than 2 feet tall)...however, I WAS thinking of adding in a faraway audio affect of the train whistle, blowing in the distance, between thunderclaps...?

I remember you had a "haunted nursuary" video. I don't recall if it was for the same project or not. Depending on your story, I'm not sure if that effect fits in.
    It is part of this project, yes...in fact, it's the next scene to be refilmed (on a better made set) and added to the sequence...

I'm assuming the final scene will be the children extracting revenge on the woman (or failing to), but I see several ways this could pan out.
    I see children locked in tiny chests or dark closets. I see wires or chains affixed to radiators (another good place to spray guests with mist). I see a kitchen and a cellar (or attic)
    Any way, I'm hooked (pun morbidly intended)
    LOL...very glad to hear that...

Actually, I have the entire 'attraction' mapped out in detail...you can read the synopsis here, lemme know what you think of it:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/daark...70797219629628

This could easily become more gristly if you focus on the torture/cruelty aspects. (Red hot sizzling hand-prints on the radiator or a shadow in a cage filled with rats as examples)
    Actually, I prefer not to get too grisly...the 'bloody hand prints' that appear/vanish on the wall is about as horrific/violent as I would like it to get...again, I prefer chilling, more 'gothic' and spooky, visual effects that leave a lasting, eerie imprint...

I also see this changing from guests-as-observers to guests-as-targets.
    Even, if you are not going in these directions, you have at the very least, sparked these morbid ideas. Some dark rides are cool but leave no impact.

If you have pictures of your sets, I'd like to see them.
    I actually destroyed almost all the sets I created so far to save space in my office, I'm really sorry...I didn't think to take photos of them beforehand, partially because I did not want to 'expose' the details and spoil and possible illusions I may create successfully...I figured 'if people see the sets, the edited/final video will not have the best impact'...

HOWEVER, I have a lot of the artwork and designs up on two sites...the Official Daark valley Orphanage website and the Facebook page...

daarkvalleyorphanage

https://www.facebook.com/DaarkOrphanage

...Again, thank you SO much for your posts/feedback, here...it's really cool to hear back from people who are interested in my odd lil' project...

• Yoiks!

"Skip, skip, Or Mrs. Maple,
    will come to you, with a staple..."
    I hear the kids singing a counting rhyme in the playground.
    I like the story. At first, I was glad the narrative was removed from Stage 5 as it seemed expository. However, I see that we need to hear from the techies for later on in story.
    I didn't like the "I thought it was a myth line" as we saw newspaper articles proving it wasn't.
    Those are my only quibbles.

I can see this as a real ride. I'll PM you later if I have any more ideas. (Still insanely busy for the next 5 weeks - shouldn't be here now.)

"Skip, skip, Or Mrs. Maple,
    will come to you, with a staple..."
    I hear the kids singing a counting rhyme in the playground.
    LOL...that possibility also crossed my mind, but where to get some kids that could sing/record the tune?
    Instead, I located several royalty free 'jump rope' type, 'la-la-la, lala' songs sung by children and some music box (creepy) tunes for that sequence...nice to know we are thinking alike in these regards, tho...

I like the story. At first, I was glad the narrative was removed from Stage 5 as it seemed expository. However, I see that we need to hear from the techies for later on in story.
    I didn't like the "I thought it was a myth line" as we saw newspaper articles proving it wasn't.
    Those are my only quibbles.
    I can see how that 'myth' line would come off as confusing...what I had intended was that the Spectre seeker is referring to the fact that it is HAUNTED (THAT was the 'myth' aspect) but I see your point...

Dialogue (yet to be recorded, thankfully) is now changed to:

TEAM MEMBER:
    "Oh, my GOD...it's the 'Valley of Despair'...and it's true...it really IS HAUNTED..."

I can see this as a real ride. I'll PM you later if I have any more ideas. (Still insanely busy for the next 5 weeks - shouldn't be here now.)

Hey, I appreciate the fact that you were, again, many thanks...your feedback is most interesting and thought provoking, believe me...

Oh, and after I posted to you last, I got the urge to go check our apartment complex trash dumpster, as I had JUST thrown out the miniature set of the 'hands trying to press out through walls' set...and there it was, a bit worse for wear (it rained a bit last night), but still in OK enough condition for me to snap a few shots of it...

OK, just sent you a PM with info on the photos I took...
    Last edited by karcreat; 03-26-2014 at 05:22 AM.

Some remarks on "Daark Valley."
    Very nice work.

IMHO, some things could be more subtle. To me, the name "Daark" Valley is a turnoff. It's too obviously someone's attempt to say "dark" without saying "dark," and the way it hits me, anyway, is not Daark Valley but rather Daark Valley, get it? DAARK, like DARK with a little elbow nudge. It would work better for me if it were "Dharch Valley" or something more subtle like "Windsmere Gorge" or "Lonesome Valley."

Less is more in the script as well. I think "occasional reports" or "unconfirmed reports" is better than "innumerable reports." Same principle throughout. Leave some room for doubt that there's really anything going on.

You need to decide how much comparison with the HM you want or don't want from visitors. It's hard for me to believe that anyone the least bit familiar with the HM would look at the ghosties flying up out of the valley and not say, "Wow, just like the HM." Is that a plus or minus for you? If it were me, I'd have only an occasional ghost flying up, with maybe a fuzzy ball of light here and there, not a whole flock of them. I'd go for a "Did you see that?" over a cascade of ghosts any day. Note that when the HM does this, it's no longer trying to be scary or subtle.

Some remarks on "Daark Valley."
    Very nice work.
    Very kind, especially cool coming from you, HBG2...thank you...

IMHO, some things could be more subtle. To me, the name "Daark" Valley is a turnoff. It's too obviously someone's attempt to say "dark" without saying "dark," and the way it hits me, anyway, is not Daark Valley but rather Daark Valley, get it? DAARK, like DARK with a little elbow nudge. It would work better for me if it were "Dharch Valley" or something more subtle like "Windsmere Gorge" or "Lonesome Valley."
    Dang, I guess we immediately are gonna be disagreeing on something, LOL...sorry, it may be 'cheesy' but I LOVE the name 'Daark Valley' (vaguely European, haha)...it just oozes 'amusement park' to me...I also suppose, tho, it's about as 'subtle' as 'The Haunted Mansion', tho...no?...I also like how it sort of states outright that the attraction is 'dark' (themed) and a dark ride...I really dig it, personally, it's exactly what I envisioned it to be...

Less is more in the script as well. I think "occasional reports" or "unconfirmed reports" is better than "innumerable reports." Same principle throughout. Leave some room for doubt that there's really anything going on.
    This is a very good point...muchos gracias on this!

You need to decide how much comparison with the HM you want or don't want from visitors. It's hard for me to believe that anyone the least bit familiar with the HM would look at the ghosties flying up out of the valley and not say, "Wow, just like the HM." Is that a plus or minus for you?
    BIG PLUS, in all honesty...this entire project is meant as a bit of a 'love letter' to the Haunted Mansion...

If it were me, I'd have only an occasional ghost flying up, with maybe a fuzzy ball of light here and there, not a whole flock of them. I'd go for a "Did you see that?" over a cascade of ghosts any day. Note that when the HM does this, it's no longer trying to be scary or subtle.
    True, true...but that sequence is meant to be one of the few 'show stoppers' in the attraction, and the never ending FLOW of spirits, the epic SCALE of the dead, is what is supposed to be the 'selling point'...and yes, it IS an 'homage' to one of my favorite aspects of the HM, right as you come out of the attic window, the wraiths/spirits projected on the scrim...I just LOOOOVE that effect...

Overall, thank you VERY much, HBG2, for all your comments here...it's really an honor to hear from you...
    Last edited by karcreat; 03-26-2014 at 04:28 PM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM