Page 559 of 618 FirstFirst ... 59459509534549556557558559560561562569584609 ... LastLast
Results 8,371 to 8,385 of 9267

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

"Lemme outta here!"

Avatar from Ghost Relations Department and sig pic from Pure Imagineering

Be sure to visit xfoolishmortalx.tumblr.com!

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

The beauty of ghostly photos is that often, the "worse" they are (grainy, blurry, murky), the "better" they are. That's actually a very cool photo of Constance. Looks like a "real" ghost.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Question.. as part of my job at the DLR I get to watch the fireworks every night, and I have the script to the show pretty much memorized. The other day as I was watching/listening to the fireworks, I thought about the part they chose for the HM segment: "serpents, spiders, tail of a rat, call in the spirits wherever they're at!" Anybody know anything about the serpents/spiders/tail of a rat? Does this have any historical background? Or were those "ingredients" for a spell/potion/whatever chosen at random?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by carolinejay View Post
    Question.. as part of my job at the DLR I get to watch the fireworks every night, and I have the script to the show pretty much memorized. The other day as I was watching/listening to the fireworks, I thought about the part they chose for the HM segment: "serpents, spiders, tail of a rat, call in the spirits wherever they're at!" Anybody know anything about the serpents/spiders/tail of a rat? Does this have any historical background? Or were those "ingredients" for a spell/potion/whatever chosen at random?
    My guess is that X Atencio chose them more or less at random based on their general creep factor, and arranged them so that they rhymed and fit the patter of the incantation. Other bits of the incantation are based on the instruments floating about the room, while some bits are simply suitable "filler".

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    My guess is that X Atencio chose them more or less at random based on their general creep factor, and arranged them so that they rhymed and fit the patter of the incantation. Other bits of the incantation are based on the instruments floating about the room, while some bits are simply suitable "filler".
    That's what I was thinking too. That it was a convenient rhyme and to make it a little more "catchy". Thx!

Why is there a box on the floor to your right after the hitchhiking ghosts?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    Why is there a box on the floor to your right after the hitchhiking ghosts?
    Sure it's not just a speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by carolinejay View Post
    Not exactly at random. The general spell formulae are undoubtedly inspired by the witches in Shakespeare's Macbeth, in a well-known passage.

“Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
    Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
    Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
    Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
    For a charm of powerful trouble,
    Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
    Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn, and caldron bubble.”

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Not exactly at random. The general spell formulae are undoubtedly inspired by the witches in Shakespeare's Macbeth, in a well-known passage.

I think it's only vaguely like the Macbeth spell. The patter, or "beat" is different, changing as it goes along, and of course the ingredients are different. X wrote his version more like a song, each stanza is the same patter whereas Shakespeare's is not. If anything, I consider it only "loosely" based on, or rather "inspired by" Shakespeare.

• Minion

I think it's only vaguely like the Macbeth spell. The patter, or "beat" is different, changing as it goes along, and of course the ingredients are different. X wrote his version more like a song, each stanza is the same patter whereas Shakespeare's is not. If anything, I consider it only "loosely" based on, or rather "inspired by" Shakespeare.

I said that the general spell formulae were inspired by the Bard, not the specific texts X wrote, and I don't think there is any dispute about it. Where else can you find a spell that takes the form of a recipe, with the listed ingredients following this formula: "[body part] of a [disgusting creature]"?

• Minion

I said that the general spell formulae were inspired by the Bard, not the specific texts X wrote, and I don't think there is any dispute about it. Where else can you find a spell that takes the form of a recipe, with the listed ingredients following this formula: "[body part] of a [disgusting creature]"?
    I first heard something like that in Disney's "Trick Or Treat" (1952) with Donald Duck and Witch Hazel, years before I'd ever heard the Macbeth spell. ("This is the real thing, you know. Right out of Shakespeare!") Interestingly, I heard it the same day I first heard Madame Leota's incantation. It was on the Disneyland Record album "Trick Or Treat", which has an abridged version of "The Story and Song from The Haunted Mansion" on the flip side.

Name:  Trick Or Treat-Front-Small.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  99.2 KB

Yep, the formulae are used everywhere, and they all go back to MacBeth.

Next month's blog post is going to be a mammoth one. The first ever history of the berm graveyard, and related matters.

Sneak preview factoid:

Q: We know the BG was taken out in 2000, but what year did it debut?
    A: Probably 1973, give or take one year.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

The quality at the blog always shines, but it will be a nice treat to get a quantity posting to go with that quality. Thanks for keeping us all supplied with amazing facts and pics.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM