Page 56 of 558 FirstFirst ... 6465354555657585966106156556 ... LastLast

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    the heartbeat was kept in as an "homage" to the old attic.
    I think it's for continuity between the Brides.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I think it's for continuity between the Brides.
    I think it was left in because it sounds good and is reminiscent of Poe's "Telltale Heart." The way this new batch of Disney suits work, I don't think they pay homage to anything, unless it causes them to see dollar signs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    I think it was left in because it sounds good and is reminiscent of Poe's "Telltale Heart." The way this new batch of Disney suits work, I don't think they pay homage to anything, unless it causes them to see dollar signs.
    The suits don't make the creative decisions. The Imagineers do. Imagineers answer to the suits.

The suits don't make the creative decisions. The Imagineers do. Imagineers answer to the suits.
    The suits fund WDI, so they do make the decisions. If they don't budget for it, it don't happen.

it's the suits who fund WDI.
    I know the suits fund WDI The thing is though Imagineering came up with ideas and the suits agreed to fund it. Interesting since it doesn't tie in to any movie or anything. (yet) So I am shocked they would since the agenda seems to be everything have a film tie-in.
    Last edited by HMF; 07-28-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Imagineering came up with ideas and the suits agreed to fund it.
    They are notorious for changing their minds and diverting or pulling funds midway through a project or at the last minute. Just look at how the Rivers of America renovation wound up.

They are notorious for changing their minds and diverting or pulling funds. Just look at how the Rivers of America renovation project turned out.
    Yeah. I know. Well it could be WDW Management.

Interesting since it doesn't tie in to any movie or anything. (yet) So I am shocked they would since the agenda seems to be everything have a film tie-in.
    Are we talking about the same thing? It's already been established that there will be a new "Haunted Mansion" movie that is based on the attraction. Who knows how long this has been in negotiation and/or kept under wraps, and what new elements inside the ride may already be part of the film's storyline? And how do we know what type and/or level of communication exists among Disney Pictures, Disney Attractions and WDI? You'd be surprised how often it's the case that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

I really hate to be this guy, but I will be for a second... I feel like things are getting a little heated and maybe just a touch too defensive on this thread. Maybe this is due to the level of testosterone saturating this thread, but I'm going to be the shot of estrogen here and remind everyone that we need to play nice. One of the things that makes this thread different--and keeps me coming back--is the fact that we can talk like grownups about kids stuff. We can analyze and discuss and even be jokey and silly with each other, and we know when the others are kidding usually. The problems of bickering start when we stop really listening to what the other person is saying, and instead of trying to see their point and reply, we react to what we see wrong in the other person's statements instead of reacting to what we see right. I know, I know, sometimes people are just difficult to deal with, especially if you are quick to anger (like I am) but being more respectful of the other person and trying to reply with what they're saying helps a lot.
    I know I sound like a mod right now, or a wannabe mod, but here's the thing: I don't want to see our beloved Thread end up like so many other threads on MiceChat. They end up dying out because of bickering, and the bickering drives away the people who want to keep discussing the topic in more reasonable terms, and with less constructive posts, it seems like there are even MORE argumentative people talking than in reality. I don't want our 12,000+ post discussion to die out because the people who have the most interesting things to say are drowned out by those who are just trying to prove how more right they are than the other person, because the posters that keep our lurkers coming back will not want to participate in anything remotely related to what has now become of the once was great.

I'm a long winded talker, I know. I'll summarize for those of you in the audience with ADD: The bickering makes everyone want to stay away until it ends, which makes it seem like there is more bickering, which makes no one want to post anything legitimate anymore for fear of getting attacked for it for no good reason other than being in the line of fire. For the good of The Thread, try to phrase things as objectively as possible in your replies and responses. (Hahaha, that sounds harsh and attacking. Irony +10. The pains of summarizing.)

On to lighter topics, which are slightly off, as am I.
    I went to the parks today and had the extreme pleasure of meeting Data for the first time in person. It was only for a few hours, but that was just enough time before the first meeting initial sort-awkward small talk wore off to make way for the first meeting actually awkward small talk, which is always a hard bridge to cross and I'm glad we bypassed it this time. Data is definitely a sweetheart with possibly the most infectious smile EVER, and anyone who has not had the pleasure of meeting him is seriously missing out. Everyone in our group that met him thought eh was a pretty cool guy who talks Disney and doesn't afraid of anything. Joe, I hope I get to hang out with you again real soon! But I apologize for my loud, ADD-level random, dry, sarcastic awkwardness, so if you want to hold that against me, most people do so it's cool.
    dreams. come. true.

• =)

to your post, Caitlin. And it was indeed a real pleasure meeting you in person today - I refuse to accept your apology, because I had a great time. (Aside from that awkwardly silent ride on Screamin'...oy!) I will say that I'm sorry if I seemed a little quiet or withdrawn...dunno why that was, but I can definitely be a lot more of a blabbermouth than that.

Now, a random HM question popped into my head today, and I knew exactly where I'd ask it when I got the chance. Soooo...does anyone know much about the history of the CM costumes at the mansion? I'm thinking the Disneyland mansion specifically. Have the costumes always resembled the current greenish butler/maid ones, or were things considerably different at some point? I'm just realizing that although we've gotten to enjoy many older photos of the attraction over the course of these threads, most of them don't have cast members visible in them.

And on that topic...what does everyone think about the current costumes? I think they're pretty sweet.

• Minion

Ever heard of Retcon?
    No.

• Minion

They are notorious for changing their minds and diverting or pulling funds midway through a project or at the last minute. Just look at how the Rivers of America renovation wound up.
    Yeah. I know. Well it could be WDW Management.
    The reference is to Disneyland's RoA, which just got a refurb.

(Sorry about the double posting. Just trying to catch up from overnight!)
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 07-28-2010 at 05:15 AM.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    And on that topic...what does everyone think about the current costumes? I think they're pretty sweet.
    I think the CM costumes are great. They resemble classic butler and maid costumes enough to make the mental and emotional association while having enough alterations to give them a distinctive touch and better match the Haunted Mansion's style.

Classy and subtle. I think they're perfect.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Yes, thanks. This is the best I can do with it:

GG, the reasons I think it's a HM changing portrait are:
    • I'm not aware of any changes or improvements planned for the Jungle Cruise in 1965. They had done a major JC overhaul in 1962, and they had plenty of other things on their plates.
    • It's a two-panel gag similar to many other Davis changing portrait gags. Most of those had more than two panels, but many of them had only two.
    • The bulletin board it's tacked to has HM changing portrait artwork on the other side and all over the wall, and on this side it's tacked up right next to concept art for a changing statue in the HM foyer.

It's not art for a stretching portrait either. Those are just a tall, single scene.
    You can easily find the "Disneyland 10th anniversary" show in various Youtube videos.
    Well, that segment wasn't part of the segments I've watched of it (NOS, HM, POTC segments). I'll try to find this one a little later.

I still say the sketch is for an animatronic figure - regardless of whether it was intended for HM or JC. It clearly suggests movement, while none of the changing portraits have any movement at all. Additionally, the changing portraits appear to have been already decided upon by the time the film was shot.

The sketch is more along the lines of the well scene in POTC, or even a pop-up in HM.

• I'm a Lutheran

Now I recall a Marc Davis piece of concept art where several witches were preparing some sort of soup (It was in a cauldron) for some hungry ghosts. Perhaps the cauldron was supposed to have a pop-up in it?
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM