Page 564 of 650 FirstFirst ... 64464514539554561562563564565566567574589614 ... LastLast
Results 8,446 to 8,460 of 9741

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

(Facepalm) I don't know how I missed that, haha, but it still leaves me with the question: What is the other Little Leota for? Is she a backup, or perhaps they replaced her with a new body?
    "Lemme outta here!"

GIF from Pure Imagineering

Be sure to visit xfoolishmortalx.tumblr.com!

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Haunted Mansion Update 5/10/2014 (2 rides around 9 PM):

Flashing light novelties and glaring phone screens in the stretch room on both rides. Whatcha gonna do? I close my eyes when the lights go out. Defeatist, but necessary. (If I were the type to tell CMs how to do their job I'd tell them to add "...and extinguish all sources of light" to the end of their stretch room spiel, with emphasis on "extinguish" for ghoulish effect.) At least nobody chanted along with the Ghost Host.

The conservatory lighting seems improved. I could see bare trees outside the window. I may have never specifically noticed them before, but the change was obvious.

The shadow piano player missing on my last ride (two weeks ago) is back, but that was probably a temporary thing anyway.

The lead statue singer's projection looks a little off around the nose. I noticed it two weeks ago whether I mentioned it or not.
    Last edited by bigcatrik; 05-14-2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Fix date

• Haunted Mansion Fan

So I'm looking though my mother in law's photos today, and discover this. A pristine souvenir guide from 1958. This in itself was very cool, but on the back pages are little teasers of the attractions yet to come. I found it interesting that they refer to the Haunted Mansion as "The Haunted House" <see pic>

I'll have to put this away for safe keeping!

Name:  pic1.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  64.6 KBName:  pic2.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  75.1 KBName:  pic3.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  87.0 KB
    Do not pull down on the safety bar please; I will lower it for you.

• Mr. Ghost

I believe I have seen that guide before. It was in a friend's garage, but I think it was from the late 50's or early 60's. I wish I had kept it.

Okay, I've got a bone to pick, NOT with you people, you are all great, but with the CMs over at the mansion, and the mansion itself! Went over to the DL park a week ago yesterday (big mistake, everyone was there for "Cinco de Mayo") and my first visit to the mansion, everything was really dark in the stretchroom. The CM told me that it was very bright outside and my eyes were not used to the low light levels! So, when the doors opened, I stood to the left of the doors for 5 minutes with my eyes shut. I could barely make out the paintings, and that was only when the lightening struck. It looked like one of those youtube videos with a poor camcorder. Kids were running out of the stretchroom and slamming into people in the dark, and an elderly couple got knocked into the chains by the chicken exit. The woman grabbed her husband, pulled him aside out of the way of other people, and I found out that they couldn't see either, it was not just me.

Getting into the doombuggies, the CM had a flashlight, showing people the moving floor, because it was too dark, and the lights that lit up that area were really dark. I could barely make out the blue clouds in the loading area wall, and most of the ride was dark. I could not see the graveyard band at all, could only see the singing tombstones, but from the neck up, just the heads, nothing below. When I got out of the doombuggy, I complained to the CM back there, and she told me that the light levels of the mansion had been set in 1969, and they have never been changed. I told her that I have never seen the mansion so dark in the past, but that I have noticed it getting darker every year that I visit, but this was the worse it had ever been.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It is true that in coming from a very bright outdoors day into a dark room like that, the contrast will be more than if you rode in the evening (when it may not seem dark at all). I think taking a few moments to let your eyes adjust to the dark was a good idea.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Today I found this POV of the TDL HM. It's fairly new, as it was uploaded on April 23rd. It is very out of focus at times, but the Doombuggy gets stuck in the Attic scene, and you get perfect-focus HD nightshot footage of the pop-ups and bride.
    "Lemme outta here!"

Well, I was hoping that our own resident HM guru "Doctor Dan" could shed some light on the whole "lighting" situation, why is it getting darker and darker in the ride, over the last couple of years?

• Minion

I like it when the Haunted Mansion is very dark, in contrast to the Holiday version when it is way too bright and you can see the ceiling.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by bondfan2000 View Post
    Okay, I've got a bone to pick, NOT with you people, you are all great, but with the CMs over at the mansion, and the mansion itself! Went over to the DL park a week ago yesterday (big mistake, everyone was there for "Cinco de Mayo") and my first visit to the mansion, everything was really dark in the stretchroom. The CM told me that it was very bright outside and my eyes were not used to the low light levels! So, when the doors opened, I stood to the left of the doors for 5 minutes with my eyes shut. I could barely make out the paintings, and that was only when the lightening struck. It looked like one of those youtube videos with a poor camcorder. Kids were running out of the stretchroom and slamming into people in the dark, and an elderly couple got knocked into the chains by the chicken exit. The woman grabbed her husband, pulled him aside out of the way of other people, and I found out that they couldn't see either, it was not just me.

Getting into the doombuggies, the CM had a flashlight, showing people the moving floor, because it was too dark, and the lights that lit up that area were really dark. I could barely make out the blue clouds in the loading area wall, and most of the ride was dark. I could not see the graveyard band at all, could only see the singing tombstones, but from the neck up, just the heads, nothing below. When I got out of the doombuggy, I complained to the CM back there, and she told me that the light levels of the mansion had been set in 1969, and they have never been changed. I told her that I have never seen the mansion so dark in the past, but that I have noticed it getting darker every year that I visit, but this was the worse it had ever been.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    This is something I hadn't even heard until recent years, and the first few times I heard it I was skeptical, but it is a fact: it takes about half an hour for your eyes to get fully "used to the dark" on a bright day. So before it's even possible for your eyes to get used to the dark, you're all the way through the ride and out the exit into the sunshine again. Like all dark rides, the HM is pretty much helpless in this area. The truth is that the vast majority of complaints about "too dark" or "too light" inside the HM put the blame in the wrong place. It's all in the eye of the beholder, literally.

What they should do is find a way to rig the overall lighting inside the house to a photocell on the roof, so that the lighting would automatically move up or down in accordance with outdoor brightness.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by xFoolishMortalx View Post
    Today I found this POV of the TDL HM. It's fairly new, as it was uploaded on April 23rd. It is very out of focus at times, but the Doombuggy gets stuck in the Attic scene, and you get perfect-focus HD nightshot footage of the pop-ups and bride.
    Yeeesh. Other than those attic shots and some of the graveyard, what an annoying video. You should get combat pay for slogging through it.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Sometimes, it really is too dark inside a ride. Last time I went on Trimper's Haunted House in Ocean City, Maryland, it was way too dark inside to see, even though I went in after sunset. Most of it was so dimly lit, I often had no idea what I was looking at. Just faint shapes and colors.

Name:  May 31, 2013 IMG_2020_small_Cropped.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  127.5 KB

• Thumb Twiddler

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Sometimes, it really is too dark inside a ride. Last time I went on Trimper's Haunted House in Ocean City, Maryland, it was way too dark inside to see, even though I went in after sunset. Most of it was so dimly lit, I often had no idea what I was looking at. Just faint shapes and colors.

Name:  May 31, 2013 IMG_2020_small_Cropped.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  127.5 KB
    The Mansion at DL is too bright, & WDW's is too dark. I mean, in WDW, you can barely see the caretaker. He's practically invisible. And the Load Area is also really dark. This is why we go to TDL kids...

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I like it when the Haunted Mansion is very dark, in contrast to the Holiday version when it is way too bright and you can see the ceiling.
    You see WAY too much in the holiday version. They disregarded the work of the geniuses who originally designed the place, so we get giant glowing objects in the graveyard illuminating all the scrims, walls and ceiling, making it obvious you're in some warehouse building.

As for it being too dark, yeah I kinda get what you mean. That said, it looks fine to me. It's supposed to be dark and I like barely being able to make things out for some reason. It adds more mystery and I am constantly noticing new things. If there's anywhere it isn't too dark, it's load area and staircase ascent, where you can see the walls and ceiling. This is also a problem in the seance room. There must be something they can do to hide ceiling tiles. In the seance room, your eyes are actually drawn up to the objects, so you're more likely to notice the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Yeeesh. Other than those attic shots and some of the graveyard, what an annoying video. You should get combat pay for slogging through it.
    Haha, not to mention the fact that the cameraman was taking selfies every minute.
    "Lemme outta here!"

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM