Page 57 of 633 FirstFirst ... 73247545556575859606782107157557 ... LastLast

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Well, that segment wasn't part of the segments I've watched of it (NOS, HM, POTC segments). I'll try to find this one a little later.

I still say the sketch is for an animatronic figure - regardless of whether it was intended for HM or JC. It clearly suggests movement, while none of the changing portraits have any movement at all. Additionally, the changing portraits appear to have been already decided upon by the time the film was shot.

The sketch is more along the lines of the well scene in POTC, or even a pop-up in HM.
    The segment is the very first one, which deals mostly with It's a Small World.

It is certainly not true that the changing portraits had already been decided upon by 1965. Even in the HM segment of the 10th Anny show you can see sketches of familiar (to us) portraits on the walls that were never used. Remember that the HM was still a walk-thru in 65, and most changing portraits were still planned with multiple panels. As late as 1968 and the mock-up scale model you can see unused changing portraits hanging in the hall.

Think of what kind of joke the missionary pot sketch would be if it is indeed an animatronic concept. Let's say it's an AA and the guy apparently moves up and down inside the pot. Why is that funny? The missionary-in-a-cannibal's-pot image is an instantly recognizable one, but what part of the gag involves him moving up and down? No, I think what it shows is the poor guy boiling down to a skeleton (or close to it), and that's why he's shrunk downward.

Incidentally, I've been saying "missionary" all along to keep things simple, but of course he could just as well be an Albert Schweitzer-like explorer. Ten to one he's got a pith helmet on, khakis, and a white mustache. Probably a monacle too.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    to your post, Caitlin. And it was indeed a real pleasure meeting you in person today - I refuse to accept your apology, because I had a great time. (Aside from that awkwardly silent ride on Screamin'...oy!) I will say that I'm sorry if I seemed a little quiet or withdrawn...dunno why that was, but I can definitely be a lot more of a blabbermouth than that.

Now, a random HM question popped into my head today, and I knew exactly where I'd ask it when I got the chance. Soooo...does anyone know much about the history of the CM costumes at the mansion? I'm thinking the Disneyland mansion specifically. Have the costumes always resembled the current greenish butler/maid ones, or were things considerably different at some point? I'm just realizing that although we've gotten to enjoy many older photos of the attraction over the course of these threads, most of them don't have cast members visible in them.

And on that topic...what does everyone think about the current costumes? I think they're pretty sweet.
    On the left, DL costumes when it opened
    On the right, a WDW costume when it opened. It think the green is really there, not a result of the photo's age.

• Larger Than (After)Life

I'm not being rude nor heated, but I am passionate. Furthermore, I've been misquoted. My comments were being replied to before they were finished. If you have any doubt, please, refer to my original messages.

It's no secret that I take issue with the way Disney Corporation has been turning its theme parks into shopping malls with rides, nor that I think a number of their sales tactics border on robbery/extortion. But that's not what I was discussing. I thought the conversation was about what's in The Mansion vs. what will be in the movie, what will stay, what may change, etc.; and, at last point, why the beating heart soundtrack remains, even though the bride has changed. Sadly, and I speak the truth from my point-of-view, I believe that the majority of changes and upgrades that Disney makes are implemented based on their potential to boost profitability, whether the increase in sales be at the parks themselves or via some other project/product tie-in. I don't think that much is done anymore in Disneyland, Walt Disney World, or any of their other parks, for the mere sake of nostalgia.

That being said, I have since learned that the new "Haunted Mansion" movie script has not yet been written. Here is more from Del Toro:
    “The storyline for ‘The Haunted Mansion’ and the ride is quite open. We are taking sort of the core mythology that you can tap into and saying that there are many mansions around the world and they’re all part of a sort of web. The movie I see in my head is not what I believe anyone is imagining it would be. It’s not just a regular world with a haunted mansion plopped in the middle. I’m really thinking of a movie with a heightened reality, which is super designed, incredibly innovative, narratively and visually. When people think of ‘The Haunted Mansion,’ they think they know what it's about. But I really want to push a lot of stuff that they have not seen ever.”
    The last line of this quote has me very intrigued. As expressed elsewhere, Del Toro appears to be a purist, when it comes to the attraction. So, what is it that he plans to include that the general public has never seen but that will fit with what is inside the attraction already and/or was intended by the ride's original creators? Perhaps, we will see some of the very things that have been discussed in these threads.

I would like to see some, if not all of the Museum Of The Weird concepts added as part of the film.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 07-28-2010 at 10:01 AM.

• Larger Than (After)Life

I have always thought that the Haunted Mansion's CM costumes are the best in the park. Were I to work at a Disneyland attraction, I'd want it to be The Haunted Mansion.

Out of curiosity, how does costuming work? Do the CMs own their wardrobe? Is it leased? Who is responsible for the care and cleaning?

Just wondering.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The segment is the very first one, which deals mostly with It's a Small World.
    Didn't find that one (wasn't searching for small world), but I did find it in the opening when Walt calls for Tink to transport them to DL.

It is certainly not true that the changing portraits had already been decided upon by 1965. Even in the HM segment of the 10th Anny show you can see sketches of familiar (to us) portraits on the walls that were never used. Remember that the HM was still a walk-thru in 65, and most changing portraits were still planned with multiple panels. As late as 1968 and the mock-up scale model you can see unused changing portraits hanging in the hall.

Yes, you're right. I did see other, unused portrait concepts in the HM portion of the video, but not that particular one. I am intrigued by the one at the top right of the frame. Seems to be a cyclops with an eye that grows huge! I would love to see that one.

Anyhow, when I first saw the cauldron sketch, I instantly thought of the one for the Jungle Cruise with the guys up a tree and the rhino making his point. It's in the very same style as that one, which was also a two-panel concept drawing - for animatronic figures - with no backgrounds to speak of, just some random foliage. The cauldron sketch doesn't seem to have a background either, other than perhaps trees(?) - just like the Jungle Cruise sketch - while the other known changing portrait concepts do have finished backgrounds.

Think of what kind of joke the missionary pot sketch would be if it is indeed an animatronic concept. Let's say it's an AA and the guy apparently moves up and down inside the pot. Why is that funny? The missionary-in-a-cannibal's-pot image is an instantly recognizable one, but what part of the gag involves him moving up and down? No, I think what it shows is the poor guy boiling down to a skeleton (or close to it), and that's why he's shrunk downward.

Incidentally, I've been saying "missionary" all along to keep things simple, but of course he could just as well be an Albert Schweitzer-like explorer. Ten to one he's got a pith helmet on, khakis, and a white mustache. Probably a monacle too.
    I'm thinking either it was merely leftover from JC, and perhaps considered for the HM, or it goes with the other early HM concept sketch of the hunter in his trophy room. He is also in full safari garb. And/or, it could be (as someone else mentioned earlier) a concept for the witches' cauldron for the graveyard scene. Some sort of running gag, possibly

In any case, it just doesn't seem like a concept for a portrait to me. Doesn't look like one - and just doesn't feel like one, if that makes any sense.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    to your post, Caitlin. And it was indeed a real pleasure meeting you in person today - I refuse to accept your apology, because I had a great time. (Aside from that awkwardly silent ride on Screamin'...oy!) I will say that I'm sorry if I seemed a little quiet or withdrawn...dunno why that was, but I can definitely be a lot more of a blabbermouth than that.
    Awkwardly silent Screamin' indeed. Juilus's soundtrack wasn't loud enough. Someone should have mic'ed him.
    On the right, a WDW costume when it opened. It think the green is really there, not a result of the photo's age.

Ooooh. It looks like the costumes haven't really changed all that much, just details like button placement. Very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    I'm not being rude nor heated, but I am passionate. Furthermore, I've been misquoted. My comments were being replied to before they were finished. If you have any doubt, please, refer to my original messages. ...
    Hon I wasn't referring to just you by any means. I wouldn't've said anything if it was just one or two people, but a handful of people have come off as abrasive to the point of me wondering if posting is worth it if I'll just get attacked. I'm sorry if my message made you feel like I was singling you out, because BELIEVE ME I wasn't trying to do so. It was to everyone at the end of the day, but I was hoping a few specific people would take the hint. So no worries! You're fine, I'm fine, everyone seems fine, so we're fine.
    dreams. come. true.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Are we talking about the same thing? It's already been established that there will be a new "Haunted Mansion" movie that is based on the attraction. Who knows how long this has been in negotiation and/or kept under wraps, and what new elements inside the ride may already be part of the film's storyline? And how do we know what type and/or level of communication exists among Disney Pictures, Disney Attractions and WDI? You'd be surprised how often it's the case that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
    I don't think the movie was under development when Constance debuted.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I personally think the Mansion CM costumes are the best in the park, myself. Perfectly match the attraction but not overstated or cheesy, very well done on the part of whoever designed them. Hooray for the unknown final costume designer!

On another subject, I have some very not-pretty photos for you all now. I haven't posted all of these previously (maybe have shared a few) because, frankly, they aren't much to look at, and were photographed during various trips when HMH was installed. However, they may be of use to someone in showing certain details not fully visible on a normal ride through, as hideous as they are. I will be pointing out certain elements via text where warranted. So, away we go, and remember these are for analytical purposes only....

Location of the old bride/Hatbox with "dressing table" visible behind the snake. I don't recall the current location of this piece, if it is still hanging around the attic, and who knows if the mirror itself was always cracked like that...

Example of why a flash accomplishes nothing in the graveyard. You can barely glimpse the executioner figure behind the scrim.

First in a series of three very boring, ugly photos

The "snow" really does look cheap and lame under normal lighting. At least this one has a few tombstones.

This has a view of the barely visible "porch railing" as you fall from the attic

The "monkey bride" can be seen in this shot, and a tiny bit of normal attic junk

Either the flash scares away the crypt ghost entirely, or he went missing for the HMH...

OK view of the door-top monster face in the metal work, though they had to slap a Burton-y skull dead center in front of it

Decent look at the wallpaper and stair runner to be had, as well as the Knight's shield

Now, let's see, what doesn't belong here....

And that's it for this batch of "ugly" photos. And yes, these were all taken when other guests weren't around, so as not to annoy other folks, accomplished by waiting for the load area to clear out first, plus a few ride throughs at the after hours HMH events when crowds were thin anyway. Now, let's never speak of these again (kidding)
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post

Location of the old bride/Hatbox with "dressing table" visible behind the snake. I don't recall the current location of this piece, if it is still hanging around the attic, and who knows if the mirror itself was always cracked like that...
    I can answer this. The "Dressing Table" is now in the Reginald tableau. behind the chair

Coincidentally' In the dressers spot In WDW was a tapestry called th Lady and the Unicorn. (You can see it in the Harry Potter movies if you look close enough.)

Ironically' when it was time to re-do the Attic in WDW the Tapestry was moved to almost the exact same spot that the Halltree was moved to in DL.

• Minion

The costumes appear consistent across all the Mansions/Manor except they're purple currently in Paris and were Purley Black IIRC on opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    I am intrigued by the one at the top right of the frame. Seems to be a cyclops with an eye that grows huge! I would love to see that one.

[...]

Anyhow, when I first saw the cauldron sketch, I instantly thought of the one for the Jungle Cruise with the guys up a tree and the rhino making his point. It's in the very same style as that one, which was also a two-panel concept drawing - for animatronic figures - with no backgrounds to speak of, just some random foliage. The cauldron sketch doesn't seem to have a background either, other than perhaps trees(?) - just like the Jungle Cruise sketch - while the other known changing portrait concepts do have finished backgrounds.
    The changing portrait you're referring to is Rasputin, which Walt nixed because he thought a relative of Rasputin might still be around to sue them (true!). The Ogre, one of the Sinister 11, seems to be based on it, however.

Notice that the Rasputin series has a plain brown background.

There really hasn't been a change to the costumes overall look, however, there have been smaller changes.

I have two costumes, one from 1980s and another from 1990s. The one from 1980 is made of a cotton/wool blend and sports a tailored cut (favoring a specific look).
    The one from the 90s is still cotton/wool, but some pieces were starting to be converted to polyester. It is still the slimmer cut, but the poly pieces were more of a "classic" cut.
    The new costume, is essentially a cotton/poly blend, with the distasteful "classic" cut.

This info is probably well known, but I thought I'd offer the information I had to the discussion.

• Forgotten Spirit

The changing portrait you're referring to is Rasputin, which Walt nixed because he thought a relative of Rasputin might still be around to sue them (true!). The Ogre, one of the Sinister 11, seems to be based on it, however.

Notice that the Rasputin series has a plain brown background.

Ugh, that is such an ugly portrait XD

P.S., I know for a fact that the initial replacement Hatbox Ghost has already been built. Whether that is the figure that is eventually installed, or if it is restored to The Haunted Mansion at all, remains to be seen.
    You know for a fact?
    Last edited by MrHatboxGhost; 07-28-2010 at 03:21 PM.

• Forgotten Spirit

Last edited by MrHatboxGhost; 07-28-2010 at 03:21 PM.

The Ogre looks like a pissed off Kris Kringle. Too many naughty children this year maybe.
    Anyway, is that what the portrait is called - The Ogre?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM