Page 574 of 622 FirstFirst ... 74474524549564571572573574575576577584599 ... LastLast
Results 8,596 to 8,610 of 9318

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by karcreat View Post
    I figured you guys, knowing your Haunted Mansion background/history as well as you do, would get this cartoon I just made better than anyone else...

Attachment 36767
    Haha, it reminds me of this so much:

I'm just waiting for one of the busts to say "Thurl, why don't you just sit in the corner, huh?"
    "Lemme outta here!"

Avatar from Ghost Relations Department and sig pic from Pure Imagineering

Be sure to visit xfoolishmortalx.tumblr.com!

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

If someone can get us a photo of the gap in the wrought iron, we can compare it with the photos of the ebay relics. If one of them lines up perfectly, that will go a long way toward authenticating these items, but otherwise, they need some sort of official authentication from Disney, since this style of wrought iron has long been commercially available. It would be an easy, easy fake. (The gap was there, I'm tellin' ya, as of a few weeks ago, right there on the bottom floor where you can easily see it as you go by.)
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Dapper Dan-nabe

I'll be at Disneyland tomorrow and Saturday. I'll see if I can find the gap and get some pics.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• Mr. Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by karcreat View Post
    i figured you guys, knowing your haunted mansion background/history as well as you do, would get this cartoon i just made better than anyone else...

Attachment 36767
    :d

• Doom Buggy Detailer

This is just my observation - I'm not trying to claim to have evidence one way or another - but I've found Theme Park Connection to be pretty consistent in having authentic Disney refuse. Somehow, they have obtained either a contract or agreement to take Disney's detritus and sift through it. These pieces don't look to me to be anything Disney would ever sell themselves as props or collectibles - just trash from a refurb. Sometimes it's surplus materials, and sometimes it's worn out costuming - junk, in Disney's eyes. And I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced large chunks of the iron wholesale, as I've noticed it get layers and layers of goopy paint over the years that start to alter the nice design at some point. The broken pieces are more likely broken simply from being tossed in piles and garbage containers by Disneyland when they were removed, than sections that have been broken off of the current facade.

I've been collecting long enough to know that when I see something sold by Theme Park Connection as a park-used piece of discarded stuff, it's usually real. There will never be a certificate of authenticity for anything like that. That said, they have often sold things that are supposedly concept art or demonstration art that more likely was just a copy someone had framed and hanging in their office. And I know they have sold replica signage, though when I've seen it, it's been labeled as such. I also think they have sold surplus material and implied it was from an attraction, when it was likely an extra piece that was never used (like an external lantern, for example). That's just my experience with them.
    Chef Mayhem
    Designated a USA Today Hotsite
    Webmaster, TellNoTales.com
    Designated a Yahoo! Site of the Day

Another thought. They say it's from a 2005 refurb. Well, what did they do to the exterior in 2005? They put up a giant spiderweb for the 50th DL Anny. I wonder if they had to monkey with some of the ironwork to accommodate the heavy ropes, etc. used?

I've just heard from another reliable source, someone who knows the person who supplied Theme Park Connection with the pieces, and the source affirms that they are indeed genuine.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I've just heard from another reliable source, someone who knows the person who supplied Theme Park Connection with the pieces, and the source affirms that they are indeed genuine.
    Well, at least this piece seems to match what's actually used on the Mansion:

Name:  CastIronPiece.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  22.2 KB

Name:  101000_098-50.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  84.8 KB

Still begs the question: Why was it necessary to replace this particular piece?
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 06-06-2014 at 10:26 AM.

• Evil is Sexy

I can think of all kinds of things, but the first one that came to mind was perhaps it was one of the lower corners and was used for a gum repository. Replace it, prep it for the trash and if someone wants to take it and make time to clean in and resell it... why not.

*shrugs*
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    Darn you One Disney.

That drawing looks like the mansion from the live action Haunted Mansion movie.

It looks like the Epic Mickey Lonesome Manor.

Episode 058 – Rolly Crump, Part 1 | Stories of the Magic

Another great interview with Rolly Crump, with comments toward the end about how he was booted off working on the Mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Darn you One Disney.

That drawing looks like the mansion from the live action Haunted Mansion movie.
    I actually liked the look of the Mansion from the movie. It's one of my guilty pleasures.
    "Lemme outta here!"

Avatar from Ghost Relations Department and sig pic from Pure Imagineering

Be sure to visit xfoolishmortalx.tumblr.com!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by xFoolishMortalx View Post
    I actually liked the look of the Mansion from the movie. It's one of my guilty pleasures.
    Really, the biggest thing working against the movie was Eddie Murphy. The production design, sets, and music were all pretty cool.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Well, the script was awful and they didn't seem to really understand the Mansion, right down to the caretaker and dog being portrayed as ghosts. As removed as Pirates ended up being from the ride, at least it had violence, murder, pirates chasing women, a good cast and basically a lack of embarrassing moments.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM